What is good to kill blackberry briars?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have an area of about 1/3 acre covered in rotting pine tops and stuff adjacent to an existing log drag food plot.
I intend to expand my food plot into that area when it rots 2-3 more years. Of course all sorts of stuff is trying to grow in spots in that area. Much of it is blackberry. What is a good herbicide proven to work on it?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys
Someone mentioned Crossbow
Has anyone tried it?

Timberman

I've used Crossbow. It will work. Kills English Ivy graveyard dead

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Crossbow or Garlon, or anything with 2,4-d or triclopyr as an active ingredient. Glyphosate will kill them out, too, with less residual and volitilization, but it will usually take more than one application.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Crossbow or Garlon, or anything with 2,4-d or triclopyr as an active ingredient. Glyphosate will kill them out, too, with less residual and volitilization, but it will usually take more than one application.

That’s what I have found. It takes 3 or more sprayings when the briars at thick

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You can do it with 24d+dicamaba+ roundup if you don't want to hurt the trees, crossbow is 24d and triclopyr and will work as well.

What amounts of those chemicals would you use for 25 gallons?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Fencerows are 2oz per gallon, that should be fine, I don't think you need the woody plant rate which is 5.3 oz per gallon
Do you mean 2oz per gallon of each of the 3 products you mentioned?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You'll let herbicide if you Bushhog, let them green back up and hit the Glyphosate like HB said

I can’t bush hog it due to it being a mess of logs , tree tops, limbs, etc. I can access it with my ATV and sprayer.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Personally I would rent a brush mower or saw. 1/3 acre is short work. Plus you'll be able to spray all the other trash growing underneath
What I really should do is rent or hire a track loader and pile the debris up. But doubt I will make that investment if I can keep it killed while nature rots it down.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Everyone has listed the correct chemical to use. If it's not something you need to kill now, I'd say the best time to spray is spring when they start to green up. Also morning time is the best time to spray they absorb more at that time. Also add a surfactant to you mix if the stuff you use doesn't have any. Dawn dish soap works fine, but you can get stuff made for this purpose fairly cheap.

rosewood

Pick the black berries before spraying them. Makes wonderful pies and a tasty snack. :)

I intentionally avoid spraying them around my yard so I can pick them.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Wait till winter and pile up the tops and have a bonfire with them. Then next spring you could bushhog and manage the weeds.