What is this fly?

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I don't know but I would call it a Green Palmer. Except for the color, it resembles an Orange Palmer.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. Green Palmer. The yellow version is my go-to fly 90% of the time.

gunnurse

Palmer because of the forward sweep of the hackle, correct?

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
"Palmering" is the bend to eye winding application of a hackle along the hook shank. The dull side of a hackle faces the eye which bends the hackles forward as the hackle is wound forward on a floater. The opposite is done with a wet fly.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, "palmered" refers to hackle wound the whole length of the fly. The Yellow Palmer and its offspring, the Orange and Green Palmers, are traditional Southern Appalachian fly patterns that originated here in Haywood Co, NC back in the early-mid 1900s. The Yellow Palmer is my usual go-to dry fly most times. I tied some for a fly swap on here last year.

WMA Man

Thanks guys.

I don’t know a ton about flies. I just love the natives and the scenery where they live. Couple years ago I bought that one because to my untrained eye it looked “fishy”. Turns out the fish liked it as well. It’s a wonder I still have that fly. Will be getting some more, and some yellow palmers to.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you look at my reports on fishing trips on this forum, a goodly percentage of the trout will have a Yellow Palmer stuck in their mouth in the photo. :)1-2speck1.jpgrainbowb&w2.jpg

Last edited:

Tentwing

It looks like what Ed Story from Feather Craft fly shop in Missouri use to call a Crackle Back. I think they still sell them out of their Feather Craft mail order catalog.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Is that similar to a yellow hammer?
Not really but kinda. The Yallerhammer is also tied in a palmer fashion, but it's generally a big, coarse wet fly/nymph type tie with a big, course yallerhammer (or dyed substitute nowadays,) feather palmered up the body. The method of construction is the only similarity. This is a Yallerhammer:35089249313_507b6d6501_z.jpg

AllTerrainAngler

Not really but kinda. The Yallerhammer is also tied in a palmer fashion, but it's generally a big, coarse wet fly/nymph type tie with a big, course yallerhammer (or dyed substitute nowadays,) feather palmered up the body. The method of construction is the only similarity. This is a Yallerhammer:View attachment 932691
Thank you. I'm still new to this so I enjoy learning the different flies.

The mtn man

That's my favorite, its a palmer, I killed them on a yellow palmer this past weekend, that's mostly all I throw.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's my favorite, its a palmer, I killed them on a yellow palmer this past weekend, that's mostly all I throw.
Yep. 90% of the time in the summer, I've got a #14 yaller palmer tied on. Sometimes a #16 if it's a low, clear creek and the fish are just slapping at the bigger one.

The mtn man

Yep. 90% of the time in the summer, I've got a #14 yaller palmer tied on. Sometimes a #16 if it's a low, clear creek and the fish are just slapping at the bigger one.[/QUOT I had tied up some number 12s, the 12 inch browns were tearing it up during the last hour of the day, I caught 23 gooduns within 3 holes the other day. I'm usually throwing the #14 though

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, I carry 10s and 12s too, and use them in springtime and late in the day. Now I want to go to your creek. :bounce:

whitetailfreak

Took my bivy and camped on the head of one of my favorite little creeks below the Cherohala yesterday evening. Killed em on a Thunderhead/Yaller Palmer combo. Bad news is I got in a tug of war with a tall rhodo and snapped the tip off my 3 wt Redington classic trout. It's now boxed up ready to ship to Bainbridge Island, WA...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Took my bivy and camped on the head of one of my favorite little creeks below the Cherohala yesterday evening. Killed em on a Thunderhead/Yaller Palmer combo. Bad news is I got in a tug of war with a tall rhodo and snapped the tip off my 3 wt Redington classic trout. It's now boxed up ready to ship to Bainbridge Island, WA...
That sucks, hope they get it back to you soon. I'm going to try to hit that one at least once this summer too, but I come in from the bottom.