What is this red lizard?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
we went for a hike in the NC mountains a couple weeks ago, and this little fellow decided to cross the path in front of my wife. I have never seen a lizard colored like this from head to tail. He sure was a pretty thing.

Attachments

• red lizard nc.jpg
    red lizard nc.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,812

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Looks like a red salamander.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Nic, that was what I thought too, except this one had no black markings or spots anywhere on him. I thought the red salamanders always had spots?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`m not familiar with the salamanders and newts that ya`ll have up yonder. I just recognized it for a salamander, and the color.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
well, this one was a bit north of my lodgings too. We were just outside the Pisgah Forest at Old Mill. Probably just over 3000 ft elevation

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's a red eft, or eastern newt.

This. They are fairly common here in the mountains. The adults are aquatic, green with red spots, and live in ponds and bogs. They go through a gilled aquatic larval stage, then morph into the red eft stage and live on land for awhile, before becoming aquatic again in the adult stage. They are pretty interesting little critters.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
thanks guys. It was sure obvious sitting there in the middle of the trail.

Anvil Head

That red color is an indication to predators that it's toxic. It doesn't have much to fear.

Yeah, don't lick it! Slightly toxic mucus, similar to most toads.