what is your deer hunting time preference?

lonewolf247

Evening hunts are my preference, because as the hunt goes on, it seems to get better, right up to last light. However, percentage wise, I've probably done just as good on morning hunts. Also, it's peaceful at daylight, watching the woods come alive. I like to hunt!

NugeForPres

I would rather hunt mornings, but it seems the deer in my area move better in the evenings.

chrislibby88

Mornings. I like slipping to the stand under the cover of darkness. Seems less intrusive than a mid day entry. Seems like I just see more activity in the mornings as well, both bucks and does.

DSGB

I prefer mornings for many of the reasons already listed. Up until recently, I've had the most success during morning hunts. However, I've killed three of my better bucks and the majority of my deer in the afternoon the last few years.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The vast majority of the deer I've killed in my life have been between 7 and 9 AM, or after sunset in the evening. I don't think one is really better than the other, except that it's more pleasant to bloodtrail and skin/quarter deer in the morning than after dark.

I used to sit all day a lot back in my younger days, but I very seldom saw or killed a deer between about 9:00 in the morning and 4:30 in the evening. I still sit all day sometimes on public land back in the mountains, but I see probably a hundred deer early and late for every one I see moving mid-day. The exceptions are after a hard all-night and morning rain, or right in the prime of the chasing phase of the rut.

Broken Tine

MORNINGS.