What is your take on allowing the black bear population to expand?

Rich Kaminski

Way too many bear in Twiggs county. I see them all the time.

greg_n_clayton

Unless they are talking about middle or south Georgia, yes, I would think it is, they are already showing up in Acworth, Dallas and other suburbs, if the population continues to grow in N Ga it will become a problem when they start rummaging through all the trash cans in the subdivisions.
They already are. ! Have neen for a number of years. They are becoming a problem. A write up in the local paper talked about Sky Valley. Talked about them breaking into homes and such. One family was watching TV one night. Noise in the kitchen, they thought their dog was in the tater chips. It was a bear, sitting in the floor munching away !! Another one broke the window out and tore the kitchen ip at another house. Bird feeders are outlawed up there certain times of the year.

Last edited:

greg_n_clayton

I am hoping they start allowing a bear hunt, a few days a year, to use dogs to take them.

Timberman

They're in north Washington county. Common sight on game cam and they love tearing up feeders

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Unless they are talking about middle or south Georgia, yes, I would think it is, they are already showing up in Acworth, Dallas and other suburbs, if the population continues to grow in N Ga it will become a problem when they start rummaging through all the trash cans in the subdivisions.

Seems to me that the Bear population in South Ga is expanding to counties where it was almost unheard of just a few years ago.

greg_n_clayton

They are breaking into people's houses for crying out loud !! But the people in the flatlands can take them with dogs !! I often wonder just how many they got down there !! Or is it a political thang where politicians like to go down there where the land is flatter and they don't have to work as hard !!

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Explain yourself please, from the great state of Kentucky !! The bear population in mountains has plentiful fo years !! Why is hunting bear with dogs in the South allowed and not in the North ?? Are they that plentiful down there ?? Apparently sir...you have no knowledge of what is going on here in in the mountains !! They are everywhere !! Anyone that wants to kill a bear...there is no excuse !! Bear population ain't too far behind the deer....at this point (it seems). But...baiting is allowed now (for deer)....so time will tell !!

Huh, what are you talking about. I did not say one word about what is going on in the Mountains, because I have no idea. I was speaking only of South Georgia and I have been there at least 6 times this year. Most of my friends are hunters down that way and have seen them on their trail cams and some have seen them alive in Tift, Thomas and Colquitt county. One got killed on I75 in Tift County. I do know that seeing a bear in those Counties was non existent not that many years ago. I also said nothing about hunting them with dogs.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
And Greg, I have never said Kentucky was a great state. It is okay but it is not Georgia, esp. South Georgia.

Lukikus2

And folks told me I was crazy in the 80's with bear sightings. Had the city warn us a bear was in the hood. I had already noticed that from the trashcans. Hit my neighborhood real good. Damage to one home. Probably pet food.

Lukikus2

Why any one want a animal to be pushed into a totally a different geographic area by non-population control, then complain about them when they come.

greg_n_clayton

Huh, what are you talking about. I did not say one word about what is going on in the Mountains, because I have no idea. I was speaking only of South Georgia and I have been there at least 6 times this year. Most of my friends are hunters down that way and have seen them on their trail cams and some have seen them alive in Tift, Thomas and Colquitt county. One got killed on I75 in Tift County. I do know that seeing a bear in those Counties was non existent not that many years ago. I also said nothing about hunting them with dogs.
Sorry sir ! I was punching at ya. Didn't mean anything, nothing meant as a attack or such !! As far as the dog hunting, I dont understand why it allowed in the South and not the North !! Deer in the South is plentiful !! Deer in the North compared to the South would very one sided on the numbers. I suppose that is why they allow hunting deer with dogs, because there is so many ! I dont agree with the baiting in the North, but that is my opinion, because there are so few !! Bear..well...time will tell. But like has been said, the baitng will cause a record number of bear taken !!

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I understand Greg, I also know 0 about bear hunting. I dont know what is going on in South Ga, other than Bears are being seen in places, that they have not been seen forever.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I have a farmer friend in Bleckley co and he just recently told me he seen 14 at one time in a peanut field at night

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Southwest Georgia is starting to have bears show up. Seminole County is getting as they expand their range out of the Apalachicola National Forest in the Florida Panhandle. That area is overrun with bears.