What kind of game in North Georgia?

Mifune326

I'm strictly a meat hunter. I won't kill it unless I can eat it. Now if it's good eatin, I may just take a shot at one.

littlewolf

You might want to check out Clayton or some of the similar size towns in N. Ga that are big enough for a Walmart and probably 30 mins to an hour from a Costco. For pigs and turkeys mountains are a good choice IMO. For deer I would hit the piedmont since you are a meat hunter. They are more scarce in the mtns but they are around.

Mifune326

Thank you Littlewolf, I appreciate the tip! Sorry for the late response, been involved in the Malibu Woolsey Fire out here for the last week or so. Man, can't wait to get out of here and move to a sane state. Hahaha

J3Holt

There's a good bit of jiu jitsu around Cumming and down toward atlanta. From self defense focused to primarily competition jitz.

Let me know if you need recommendations! Where yall training at out there?

oldguy

in Dahlonega, you will be close to the Dawson forest. Lots of public land hunting there for turkey,deer,bear, and lots of small game. We squirrel hunt there quite a bit, and hold youth hunts there. Lot of nice fishing in that area too. Trout streams are abundant. Lake Lanier is just 20 minutes south of there. You will truly be in the mountain area of the state in Dahlonega, the site of the first gold rush in America.

You can jump on 400 south and be in Atlanta in 35 minutes or so if the traffic is flowing. That would be the closest Costco. Gainesville has a Sam's club if she could go for that, and the drive is shorter and much less traffic

Welcome to the forum.
I would never tell anyone to "jump on 400"!!!

Mifune326

No matter how bad the traffic is in north Georgia, I don't believe it will be anywhere near what it is in Los Angeles. It is absolutely insane here. Can't wait to get out and move to America with the beautiful folks of GA! 4 more short months....

oldguy

No matter how bad the traffic is in north Georgia, I don't believe it will be anywhere near what it is in Los Angeles. It is absolutely insane here. Can't wait to get out and move to America with the beautiful folks of GA! 4 more short months....
I know you're right and I wouldn't want to experience it!
While sitting still on 400 my thought was "I can take you to a dirt road in Soutwest GA that's 12 miles long, and you won't see another car!"

Mifune326

Hi All! Well, looks like we're moving to the Ball Ground area! Can't wait! So let me ask you gentlemen and ladies, what are my best bets for hunting up I'm that area?

wmcgregs

Hi All! Well, looks like we're moving to the Ball Ground area! Can't wait! So let me ask you gentlemen and ladies, what are my best bets for hunting up I'm that area?

Just saw this now. You have a few WMAs around you. Dawson Forest is close, but in Cherokee County, you can bow hunt deer at McGraw Hill WMA and Allatoona WMA.

If you don't want to be restricted to specific dates for deer hunting, you can hit up the Chattahoochee National Forest (non-WMA areas) to hunt any day in deer season, depending on weapon choice.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

You’ll be up the road a bit from me. The forest and WMAs were outlined above and Pine Log WMA will be an easy drive from you. Plenty of lakes and streams around if you fish. You’ll be likely coming to Canton for much of your city stuff.

35 Whelen

Welcome to North Georgia! Wife and I just moved up here to Jasper in September after almost 40 years in Gwinnett county. You will love it!

Mifune326

Thank you all for your kind responses. My family and I are very much looking forward to becoming North Georgians! I primarily hunt turkey with a shotgun so I'm hoping there will be opportunities to do that. Otherwise, I just may have to learn to hunt deer and fish!

Latest posts