What Kind of Nut is This?

hoghunter

I have a tree that looks like a Pecan, but these nuts don't. Can someone please tell me what kind of nut this is?

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 56

hoghunter

I'll try them...I can see where I vice would be useful...these things are rock hard.

Maybe I can train my dog to crack them. LOL

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Pecans are actually a species of hickory. Some hickory nuts are delicious, some are bitter.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Euell Gibbons made a living off of those things.
He also taught me my first edible wild plants course back in the early 70's.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hickory milk was one of the staple foods of the southeastern Indian tribes.

ucfireman

I didn't know deer ate them or you could get "hickory milk" from them. I do know they smell good and work well for flavor when grilling.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Hickory nuts. The sqwerls love them. They are good to eat most of the time, but are as much trouble to pick out of the shells are black walnuts.

They also will scare the poopie outta you at 2am, when they start falling on the metal roof above your bedroom from the 60ft tall tree right outside of your house

JackSprat

You can use them to smoke BBQ with. just use a few because they are full of oil and other compounds and will produce a bitter taste if you use too many.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The traditional "courting cake" here in the mountains used to be a hickory nut cake. They are delicious, and a feller knew that if a girl was willing to put the work into cracking and digging out a bunch of hickory nuts to make a cake for him, that she was pretty seriously interested in him.