what new truck gets best MPG ?

hunter_58

What is the best new small truck out there, that gets the best MPG, and what does it get in MPG?
About how much does it cost?
My father wants one to drive instead of his larger truck.

Thanks

rjcruiser

I'd imagine that it is a 4 cyl ford ranger, chevy s-10, toyota tacoma or dodge dakota. Check msn autos for more info and specs.

gas mileage

I have a 2007 Silverado,4wd,crew cab,4.8 liter V-8.It gets over 20 mpg on the interstate.A friend had a 2006 extended cab Silverado with a 5.3 and got over 20 mpg also.My mileage beats my friend`s Colorado on mileage.

mhayes

colorado is not the way to go. The four and Five cyl. engines just are not the right mix. Dakota has a great 6 cyl fuel motor. If you are doing more hwy I would go with the 4.7l v8. It will get upwards of 19 mpg. The 4 cyl Ranger is a good choice also. I am partial to the American manufacture's but toyota does have high teens to twentys also. You have alot of choices right there in Gainesville drive around and look at a few. Please By American!!
:flag::flag::flag:

Gaswamp

Ford Ranger narrowly beats Toyota Tacoma.

Mel

You'll be better off getting the V6 in a Ranger than a 4 cyl. I test drove a 4 cyl/auto Ranger and its just a dog. You wind up pushing it too hard to stay with traffic that the mileage just isn't there. Also a manual shift will get better mileage than an automatic.

hunter_58

Thanks for all the info !!!!!!

short stop

colorado is not the way to go. The four and Five cyl. engines just are not the right mix. Dakota has a great 6 cyl fuel motor. If you are doing more hwy I would go with the 4.7l v8. It will get upwards of 19 mpg. The 4 cyl Ranger is a good choice also. I am partial to the American manufacture's but toyota does have high teens to twentys also. You have alot of choices right there in Gainesville drive around and look at a few. Please By American!!
:flag::flag::flag:

I have a 2005 Chevy Colorado - 5 cyl , 230 hp
I guess your speaking from no experince here by never owning one .
I get 21 mpg and have driven mine from Fla - Wis
--- I love my truck ,
I have a coworker who purchased his 4x4 colorado 6 months prior to mine ---and let me drive his sevral trips and he gets same mpg

My last trip to KY this Spring , I took my leaseman from Ga - Ky so he could show me the farms Im hunting on . When we got back , he went and bought a Colorado as well .

Last edited:

Jody Hawk

Mine's not new but I bought a used 1999 Toyota Tacoma with a 4 cylinder engine and manual five speed transmission and I'm getting 28 mpg. I've been checking my miles between fill ups. Plus, you just can't beat the quality of a Toyota. What good is the Ford Ranger's gas mileage when it's in the shop every time you turn around?::ke:

Last edited:

Tim L

I used to have a little Ford Courier that got around 30 MPG...Hopefully Detriot will come out with something similar soon.

cpowel10

I have a 03 Ranger with a 3.0 V6 and a 5 speed auto tranny. I get around 20-21 everyday (including in town driving). I get around 22-22.5 on interstate trips. Its an "edge" model, so the normal ranger that is lower to the ground will probably get better. I really like the Ranger!

I HAD a 98 S10. It was a 2.2 inline 4 cylinder with a 4 speed auto. It got around 20 mpg, and would get around 22-24 on highway trips. I hated the truck (long story) and the mileage wasn't as good as you would think, especially with the lack of power.

Wiz

I was looking at trucks in 2005 couldn't decide between the Colorado or Sierra models. The labels on each showed very little difference in fuel economy at the time (1 mpg more for the colorado on the highway). Since this was the 1st year of the 5 cylinder, I decided to go with the Sierra (5.3 liter) 4WD until the 5 cylinder could prove itself.

The first year I was getting 24 mpg on the highway and 20 around town. It has dropped a bit though and now I get about 20 on the highway and 18 around town. I suspect the decent mileage I get is due to driving style and better power to weight ratio.

My work truck is a Chevy Silverado (4.8 liter 4WD) and it get about the same fuel economy.

RGRJN

My last tank up here was 31mpg on my 2006 Mazda/Ranger.My son was using it to go to/from Dahlonega to Nashville. He claimed he was getting between 30-35 mpg. Said it took him not quite a 1/2 tank of gas to get there. It is a little underpowered, but I was taught that's what the gears are for.

Joe

bassfishga

PAID OFF. Yeah, just gas and insurance.
You can also check mpg here: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass.htm
Select year 2008 or 2007 or etc... and Class "Pickup Trucks"

I see somebody likes their Chevy Colorado. I am just looking right now for a small truck with good mpg's.

firebiker

I have a 2007 Silverado,4wd,crew cab,4.8 liter V-8.It gets over 20 mpg on the interstate.A friend had a 2006 extended cab Silverado with a 5.3 and got over 20 mpg also.My mileage beats my friend`s Colorado on mileage.

Holy Cow, you must throw it up in neutral and coast a lot :whip:
mine is lucky to get 13 MPG its a Chevy 4X4 extended cab V-8:banginghe

Derek

I have a 96 reg cab 5 spd toyota tacoma with 4 cyl engine....I put a set of $500 dollar Michelin tires on it to replace the crap Good Year that were on it when I bought it 3 yrs ago...gas mileage went from 24-25 to 28-30 on a consistent basis..a good set of tires will help to.

bassfishga

I have a 96 reg cab 5 spd toyota tacoma with 4 cyl engine....I put a set of $500 dollar Michelin tires on it to replace the crap Good Year that were on it when I bought it 3 yrs ago...gas mileage went from 24-25 to 28-30 on a consistent basis..a good set of tires will help to.

Same type of tire? Highway tire, Off-Road tire, AT tire, street tire? :huh:

Lets be honest

I owned a 2000 reg cab chevrolet Z71, 5.3 L motor, factory tires and wheels, had it for 100,000 miles and the best gas mileage I ever got was 17 mpg. 90 % of the time it was 14 mpg no matter how you drove it. I have never seen or owned a 4x4 that got better than 17 mpg on average. They just dont make one.

dslary

Nissan

I bought a new 2005 Titan crew cab. I'll never buy another for several reasons ranging from quality of paint to a greedy customer service organization.