What river is this?

jocko755

Not positive, but could be the Hooch in Helen by the Nora mill, considering the trout and striper. There are huge fed trout at the base of the Mill dam, but I think it's leased by Unicoi Outfitters and not open to the public. You can feed them off the back deck. But the river is small there.

I don't think it's the Hooch. But I can't figure where it could be to have those huge rainbows. And striper.

Last edited:

Sweetwater

I would have thought there would have been more Rhododendron near the banks is that was up near Helen

I agree. Dont look like Helen, but I'd bet it ain't far downstream of Helen. It looks a lot like Sweetwater creek below the park just upstream of lower river road. There are shoal bass there, a striper or two, but I haven't heard of no trout that far south.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I agree. Dont look like Helen, but I'd bet it ain't far downstream of Helen. It looks a lot like Sweetwater creek below the park just upstream of lower river road. There are shoal bass there, a striper or two, but I haven't heard of no trout that far south.
Im thinking chatahoochee above lanier but well below helen

Sweetwater

Im thinking chatahoochee above lanier but well below helen
Same here. The only thing throwing me off is the depth of the hills in the surrounding terrain....which is hard to really judge in a picture. Seems like above lanier the river valley would be deeper, but that area makes the most sense.

Sweetwater

I found it. But i aint telling till i make it up there. And it aint the hooch

Don't tell...anyone....period.

It's one thing to talk about known public spots like the striper/brown trout hooch fishery, that cat long been out the bag.

But spots like this, they deserve to live untouched by the herd long as it can. Most of us live by the creed, and take loving care of these spots out of our love and respect for the gifts nature bestowes upon us. We respect our prey and their homes we pursure them in.

Sadly, the vast majority don't see it the same way. We've all seen what happens when places like this go viral. Unspoiled beauty turns into a trash dump.

I have no clue where this place is. I'd love to find out, but I have plenty of fishing spots...and wouldnt encroach on others without being invited.

jocko755

I found it too. Google Earth! I wasn't too far off! Uppity snobby land owners on a private river.

Trout that size and striper narrow it down somewhat. Access seems difficult but I think I see how they got in. There is a fly fishing school right there.

Figures he'd film in what amounts to a hatchery - best ever private water. An Epic day on the water too good too be true! Who wouldn't want to fish it?

I want to investigate if you can paddle a flowing river in GA even though it may border private land. Seems it would be legal to paddle. Might have to drop my kayak in and test the legality.

Last edited:

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I found it too. Google Earth! I wasn't too far off! Uppity snobby land owners on a private river.

Trout that size and striper narrow it down somewhat. Access seems difficult but I think I see how they got in. There is a fly fishing school right there.

Figures he'd film in what amounts to a hatchery - best ever private water. An Epic day on the water too good too be true! Who wouldn't want to fish it?

I want to investigate if you can paddle a flowing river in GA even though it may border private land. Seems it would be legal to paddle. Might have to drop my kayak in and test the legality.
Good luck with that, it will def. Be tested

To me this is a safe place, if any, to discuss river locations and such etc... without it being blown out to the public and trashed. I trust most of you are respectable anglers that wouldn't trash a good spot and wonderful nature, but maybe I am wrong? On top of that, this a video on youtube, and open for anyone to watch, it is not like i am trying to pry a honey hole out of some random dude. With some decent internet skills most people could figure the location out, like I and some others already have. Happy fishing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweetwater

To me this is a safe place, if any, to discuss river locations and such etc... without it being blown out to the public and trashed. I trust most of you are respectable anglers that wouldn't trash a good spot and wonderful nature, but maybe I am wrong? On top of that, this a ******* video on youtube, and open for anyone to watch, it is not like i am trying to pry a honey hole out of some random dude. With some decent internet skills most people could figure the location out, like I and some others already have. Happy fishing!

OP...You aint done nothing wrong. Now I'm all about keeping holes secret, not because I'm selfish, but us Americans have shown that we treat every piece of dirt like a trash dump. Not me, not y'all,the public in general. This has been the case, it's sad, but it is what it is.

Drew's video was put out there by him, not you. I dont know where the spot is, but I'm sure as sweet as it is, it's one that is watched carefully so I believe even if folks know where it is, if they went there without permission the po po would arrive before the first cast was retrieved to cart the folks for a free overnight stay at the local county jail.

Far as big brown spots go on the hooch, I feel the guys that put the time in to find and catch these beautiful, hard to catch fish. But IMO, catching big browns is like targeting non spawn big LM 's like I do a majority of the time.
To catch non spawn fat mama's requires fishing different spots than most hit, with different baits and different techniques that require a level and patience and skill most dont possess. Most folks wanna run and gun and catch a buncha fish. That dont work, and most aint willing to go fish 5 hours and maybe catch one bass, or like many trips, None at all.
I could show folks exactly where my big bass holes are, most are on public land and are fished a good bit, and they still gonna make it an hour before saying to heck with that, I'm throwing a finesse worm.
Targeting these big browns requires the same or higher level of patience and skill most do not possess. I've never fished for them. Not braggin, I been bass fishing since I was 10 years old so there aint a cast I cant make, but I bet you it would require me at least a coupla trips to be able to use the current and place baits where they need to be.
This aint crawling an old monster along deep structure, this is getting a crank or jerkbait to hit a spot in deeper water in fairly swift currents that vary. Bait placement that hits the happy zone one day puts it out the zone the next.
All while not getting the bait tangled and hung.
These guys that have pics of huge browns above their names play a game with which I'm not familiar, although I will be one day.
They could have me, or the average Joe Smoe in the boat right beside them, showing them exactly what to throw and where, and it still aint no guarantee. Dang sure aiunt gonna be no average Joe gonna take a yak out to the river with gps coordinates in hand and just go catch these fish.
This is the same debate that raged about the striper fishery in the river. THis one dude used to come on here and post vids of his trips launching all the way down here in my neck of the woods in Douglas county at the ballpark boat ramp and motoring upstream, sometimes with a fine sweet thing in a bikini in tow, catching big stripers.
The hate bombs of poo slung at this man were unreal. He wasn't hitting just morgan falls, he was fishing multiple spots from the dam down to the ramp. One video he never went above 6 flags and was slaying them.
That was years ago. I thought then most of the poo slingers were ate up with jealousy over his fish, boat, and that hot bikini chic. Time has convinced me I was right. That fishery in that part of the river is no secret. Those stripers are constantly on the move from the dam all the way down to west point. It is one of the only naturally reproducing populations in Georgia.
Those fish dont just eat at morgan falls. They can be caught all up and down the river, especially from that ramp he launched at downstream to the mouths of sweetwater creek and dog river, along with the many springs that bubble up along that stretch.
Unless someone dumps 100 dumptrucks of rotetone in that river, that population aint ever going anywhere.
Along with the striper fishery along that stretch, the blow downs along that stretch are ate up with 4 5 and 6 pound bass that a jig and pig can catch. The mouth of sweetwater hold huge cats along with the striper. There is gar big as a 500 lb bomb too.
While that run can be stanky, it is a good untapped fishery that most aint willing to hit with their expensive rigs, even though those videos are out.
Lord help if y'all knew my now dead uncle used to go fish for yellow perch and sometimes had a by catch of stripers or trout, which were promptly hit in the head with slap jack, their guts cut out and used as chum, before being throwed right back in. He hated them because they ate his perch. This was the early 90's.
So that fishery has been around.
I totally understand where these big brown fisherman are coming from. Most folks aint gonna respect the fishery or care for it like we do. Aint trying to throw shade on anyone or say they are wrong. Just trying to add some perspective.
Dang man, I done wrote a book when I shoulda been out there working on that diesel...again.

Last edited:

JakkBauer

To me this is a safe place, if any, to discuss river locations and such etc... without it being blown out to the public and trashed. I trust most of you are respectable anglers that wouldn't trash a good spot and wonderful nature, but maybe I am wrong? On top of that, this a video on youtube, and open for anyone to watch, it is not like i am trying to pry a honey hole out of some random dude. With some decent internet skills most people could figure the location out, like I and some others already have. Happy fishing!
i guess i said what i said because reading your OP to me i see: looks like a great place to spend a day...

well of course, he caught shoalies, stiper, and a huge bow... of course that would be a great place to spend a day... wouldnt anyone think that? that is why he shared the video, not so you can immediately look for the spot although the nature of a fisherman is to do so. i just found it disappointing that you didnt just appreciate it i suppose and found some old video and immediately wanted to know the location

I understand what your saying, and have known about this video since it came out 3 years ago... and just recently decided to try and track it down. I dont come on here to argue, never will. To each their own. Happy fishing!

Latest posts