What to do if you find a Coyote Den

fulldraw74

First of all yall need to back off Nick........although I do disagree with him on this one but he is a man who has earned the respect of many on this board......which is deserved.

That being said, yes I would eliminate future threats to my quail rabbit, deer population in a minute.

Baby Killer!!!!:whip::biggrin2:

bwarren2

I personally have no issues killing a yote of any age. They have really hurt our deer and turkey population so why wait for a young one to grow up and kill something before you hunt it. It's not like they have respect for us. Yotes are so difficult to kill you can't waste any chance.

rdhood

No disrespect was intended. Had Nic said "coyote pups look and remind me too much of dog pups for me to kill them" would have been okay. Those of us that are dog lovers can understand that. But coyotes, like feral cats in the U.S., have moved into the "pest" category. It is long since time that we realized that the cuddly immature forms of these animals grow up and terrorize environments that they were never supposed to exist in. Save a feral kitten, kill a song bird. To save coyote pups means that you *are* indirectly contributing to the deaths of other animals... animals that DO belong in Georgia's ecosystems. To equate killing of coyote pups with "killing babies" is just plain misguided.

hevishot

Banned
now if I can SHOOT 'em and make a HUMANE kill then I would have no problem killing them (pups)...I just wouldn't ever kill anything by poison, gassing, "treble hooking" or some of the other ignorant suggestions I've read in dealing with coyotes...humane kill vs cruelty is pretty much the barometer for my conscience.

REDMOND1858

dont really care about coyotes too much. there aint enough of them around here to really worry about them, i hear them time to time hog hunting at night and i will admit, they will run chills down your spine when you have no weapon anywhere around you, just a couple bulldogs. i have no problem killing them, i remember when i was younger they used to always get our chickens and they got a bullet, regardless or age or size.i guess it just depends on what kinda mood im in when i see them whether they get to live or not. now everyone saying " they kill our deer". give me a break, the deer population isnt hurting a bit, if anything the coyotes need to take a few more out.

bwarren2

Redmond 1858, I can show you where they have killed our deer. Even a new UGA study shows yotes kill mature deer. Maybe not on your property but definitely on mine. Be thankful you don't have any problems.

shortround1

Gone But Not Forgotten
objectivley speaking what difference does it make what age you kill them.....they are varmits and are detrimental to deer and small game. granted its not as sporty as havin one come to your predator call and wackin him from a 100yds away......in my opinion the only difference between killin one that hunts and killin one that gets fed is the game they hunt and kill while they are living.....so dead is dead be it 8weeks or 4yrs....only with the 8week old youre ahead a few more rabbits and deer fawns......in case you cant tell i really dont like coyotes
whats the difference between taking young yotes and older yotes? the dens on our place get a large fogger tossed in and a shovel to cover the den, i hate yotes.:stir::stir::stir::huh::huh:

chase870

Possum Sox
been known to kill deer with spots when I want real tender meat, guess a babby yote would be no problem, they try to kill my turkeys they die big, small ,babies etc. if it eats my turkeys it has to die

shortround1

Gone But Not Forgotten
well i guess that is about it, everyone hates yotes, while i dont like destroying nest, if game animal it is illegal. yotes is a different matter. thanks for parvo, it tries to keep the population in check.:bounce:

Rip Steele

dont really care about coyotes too much. there aint enough of them around here to really worry about them, i hear them time to time hog hunting at night and i will admit, they will run chills down your spine when you have no weapon anywhere around you, just a couple bulldogs. i have no problem killing them, i remember when i was younger they used to always get our chickens and they got a bullet, regardless or age or size.i guess it just depends on what kinda mood im in when i see them whether they get to live or not. now everyone saying " they kill our deer". give me a break, the deer population isnt hurting a bit, if anything the coyotes need to take a few more out.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I hope this is a joke. I'm sure your smarter than this nonsence.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

rdhood

I can't find the study, but here are a couple of observations from the study:

In a patch of land in western South Carolina, USDA researcher John C. Kilgo monitored fawn predation from 2006 to 2008. His results showed that out of the 60 fawns observed, 44 died within eight weeks. Of those 44, 80 percent were either confirmed killed or likely killed by coyotes.

In Georgia, University of Georgia researchers Brett Howze and Robert Warren chose a 29,000-acre swath with a low fawn-to-doe ratio. They removed coyotes from one large study block and kept another block of similar habitat as a control. Fall camera data showed that fawn-to-doe ratios were more than 10 times larger in the area where coyotes were removed than in the control area.

goob

We have located a couple on our property. What should we do next?

Can I come to your property and play????? PPPLLLLLEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
No disrespect was intended. Had Nic said "coyote pups look and remind me too much of dog pups for me to kill them" would have been okay. Those of us that are dog lovers can understand that. But coyotes, like feral cats in the U.S., have moved into the "pest" category. It is long since time that we realized that the cuddly immature forms of these animals grow up and terrorize environments that they were never supposed to exist in. Save a feral kitten, kill a song bird. To save coyote pups means that you *are* indirectly contributing to the deaths of other animals... animals that DO belong in Georgia's ecosystems. To equate killing of coyote pups with "killing babies" is just plain misguided.

I took no offense at your statement.

I base my thoughts on the fact that for thousands of years, red wolves roamed this part of the country. They did not wipe out the deer, turkeys, or anything else. They simply did the job they were designed to do, which is be a predator, same as the coyote that has replaced it, is doin`. Sure coyotes are gonna take some fawns. That`s how they make a livin`, but they won`t get em all. Neither will bobcats. I see trailcam pics put on here, with coyotes totin` fawns, or fryin` size pieces of fawns, and see the uproar that accompanies it. Might as well accept it, this is how Nature operates, always has, always will. And it works purty well, till we try to meddle with it and make it better. The game birds and animals are not just for us, thye are part of the bigger scheme of things. If we could kill off all the predators, the results would be a mess that we could not get out of, in my opinion. And I don`t worry about coyotes takin` over down here anyway. Heartworms, parvo, and distemper will keep them in check.

Now, I will kill a grown coyote given the chance when huntin`, done it before, and will do it again. But, I will not kill coyote puppies, whether with gas, poison, bullets, fire, chokin`, grinnin` em down, or whatever.

If that makes me less of a man, well, I reckon I can live with that fact. But that`s just the way I am.

Reverend Branchminner, thank you for the kind words. We will have an early mornin` breakfast and coffee, you and me, in a few short weeks. :cheers:

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I took no offense at your statement.

I base my thoughts on the fact that for thousands of years, red wolves roamed this part of the country. They did not wipe out the deer, turkeys, or anything else. They simply did the job they were designed to do, which is be a predator, same as the coyote that has replaced it, is doin`. Sure coyotes are gonna take some fawns. That`s how they make a livin`, but they won`t get em all. Neither will bobcats. I see trailcam pics put on here, with coyotes totin` fawns, or fryin` size pieces of fawns, and see the uproar that accompanies it. Might as well accept it, this is how Nature operates, always has, always will. And it works purty well, till we try to meddle with it and make it better. The game birds and animals are not just for us, thye are part of the bigger scheme of things. If we could kill off all the predators, the results would be a mess that we could not get out of, in my opinion. And I don`t worry about coyotes takin` over down here anyway. Heartworms, parvo, and distemper will keep them in check.

Now, I will kill a grown coyote given the chance when huntin`, done it before, and will do it again. But, I will not kill coyote puppies, whether with gas, poison, bullets, fire, chokin`, grinnin` em down, or whatever.

If that makes me less of a man, well, I reckon I can live with that fact. But that`s just the way I am.

Reverend Branchminner, thank you for the kind words. We will have an early mornin` breakfast and coffee, you and me, in a few short weeks. :cheers:

Finally, the voice of reason....:cool:

T

ToLog

Finally, the voice of reason....:cool:

they're not a part of this natural ecosystem, unless you want to change the rules?

armadilloes, big snakes, coyotes, hogs, japanese honeysuckle, kudzu, privit, cockleburs, etc.

where is the boundary line? if one exotic is OK, then why not ALL the others, also??

cherry Red Foxes are apparently under attack from coyote encroachment. is this a problem or not??

why not semi-wild Zebras running loose on WMA's? just asking. :D

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
they're not a part of this natural ecosystem, unless you want to change the rules?

armadilloes, big snakes, coyotes, hogs, japanese honeysuckle, kudzu, privit, cockleburs, etc.

where is the boundary line? if one exotic is OK, then why not ALL the others, also??

cherry Red Foxes are apparently under attack from coyote encroachment. is this a problem or not??

why not semi-wild Zebras running loose on WMA's? just asking. :D

Who is to say, or not to say, that the coyotes we have here now, are part red wolf? I don`t think that Redneck Bill Collector will mind me bringin` some of his thoughts into this. His observations on this subject are worth readin`. And very interestin`. It has sure made me take better notice of what they might be. And if so, it won`t be a bad thing. Just think how dull this place would be without a little excitement.

I know this. I see no shortage of deer, turkeys, or any other critters down here in SW Georgia, and I am in the woods everyday, somewhere between the Alabama line, the Florida line, Ty Ty, and Smithville. That`s a purty big territory.