What to expect on a replant

My lease was logged last season. Approximately 80% of it was cut. Didnt hunt it at all last year. This year during the summer they sprayed via helicopter and cut fire breaks around the areas that they are to burn. They haven't burned yet, I'm guessing because its been so dry but I honestly dont know why. Right now it has grown back fairly tall with underbrush and cover which I'm excited about. My question is what can I expect when they replant? Is it going to be as big of a mess as when they cut initially? How should I adjust to hunting feshley burned or planted land? It's a small lease in Hancock county privately owned. Not paper company land. Thanks guys! My first go around with this. Not complaining just trying to make a plan.

fountain

My experience on sprayed clear cuts is that typically they avoid them. You said they sprayed early and that may be a good thing. On my leases, its usually about the opening of gun season when they spray. After that, the deer dont want anything to do with them. Theres a decent amount of land to be sprayed on one side of my place this year and it hasn't been sprayed yet..so I've got some ruined hunting to enjoy I'm afraid.

GeorgeShu

Most likely timing will be to burn after things dry down and conditions warrant a safe burn. Planting likely during the late Dec - Mar window.
You will likely have your best hunting prior to the burn, afterward deer will avoid the burned areas or move after dark. Their cover is no longer there as well as no food after the spraying. Next year will be better. Good luck.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Deer will continue to use their same trails if they feel comfortable.
You said small tract. Shouldn't take them long at all to replant it.

The mtn man

My lease was logged last season. Approximately 80% of it was cut. Didnt hunt it at all last year. This year during the summer they sprayed via helicopter and cut fire breaks around the areas that they are to burn. They haven't burned yet, I'm guessing because its been so dry but I honestly dont know why. Right now it has grown back fairly tall with underbrush and cover which I'm excited about. My question is what can I expect when they replant? Is it going to be as big of a mess as when they cut initially? How should I adjust to hunting feshley burned or planted land? It's a small lease in Hancock county privately owned. Not paper company land. Thanks guys! My first go around with this. Not complaining just trying to make a plan.
Are you off lake sinclair dr.?

Thanks for all the replies! It is not off lake Sinclair drive. It's off of Stanton grove rd. I'm glad to hear that I should see some deer there. It's only about 125 acres and was worried but it sounds like it could actually improve my hunt. Me and my daughter are headed down friday night so I have some high Hopes!

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Thanks for all the replies! It is not off lake Sinclair drive. It's off of Stanton grove rd. I'm glad to hear that I should see some deer there. It's only about 125 acres and was worried but it sounds like it could actually improve my hunt. Me and my daughter are headed down friday night so I have some high Hopes!
After they burn and replant you'll have 3-4 years of some awesome hunting. That cut will be full of browse. If they sprayed early this year there ought to be enough browse to attract them this year. See if the landowner will let you create several food plots and not plant them in pines. Keep some shooting lanes opened up also. We lease 3000 acres that has pines in various rotations. A lot has been select cut and a couple areas got sprayed 6-8 weeks ago. Those spots are dead as a hammer.

Been watching a cutover that was re-planted 2 years ago. The deer are not using it like I figured they would be. Interesting. I hope to catch a buck running a doe out there in the next couple of weeks.