What to plant in December?

Jasper

Just got permission to hunt some property in Rockdale County. It has an acre or so secluded fallow field that has recently been bushogged. Plenty of sun and nothing planted there. Owner said I could plant anything I want but doesn’t want it plowed so I’m looking at Throw N Grow type stuff or roughing an area up with a rake and spreading some seed by hand. Also what fertilizer? Suggestions? Thanks!

Ihunt

Can you disturb the soil at all?

If not, rye grain will be hard to beat. Do not get the rye grass.

Huntin 4 More

Have you gotten a soil test yet to determine PH? If not, I would say winter wheat, oats or rye grain as mentioned above. Don't think clovers and other things will grow well if the PH is way off plus the soil is getting colder and some seeds won't germinate at this point. For fertilizer I would just go with 10-10-10 or similar.

If you haven't done it yet, get a soil test and get some lime on it if needed. It will take a while to work but the soil will be good for next year.

ucfireman

Can you disturb the soil at all?

If not, rye grain will be hard to beat. Do not get the rye grass.

I planted rye grain last year I let it go until it died, for deer cover. Finally cut it down around June or July (pain in the behind, I used a lawn mower) I noticed that it reseeded it self so I didn't have to plant it this year. I'm happy I guess.
I don't think Ill let it get so big this year.