What to plant

Quackmasterofgeorgia

I've had permission to a corn field that has always had doves on it later in the year, but this year it isn't going to be planted in corn and is just going to be sitting. What can I plant now to have a shoot in either October or the last week of the September season. I already have about 30 lbs of Japanese millet, but I'm unsure as to whether or not the field will be too dry for it. I was thinking of WGF sorghum as an alternative, but was hoping for some suggestions.

coastalredneck

you can gamble in Georgia weather.. I have experience with WGF Milo and the deer love it.. as a matter of fact we plant that for deer.. as for you question. millet is fast to go now for your mentioned dates.

jakebuddy

My suggestion would be dove proso it takes a little longer than brown top but it last on the stalk longer and I think doves like it better in my experience.

Quackmasterofgeorgia

My suggestion would be dove proso it takes a little longer than brown top but it last on the stalk longer and I think doves like it better in my experience.
Can it be used as a smother crop like the Japanese millet?

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Break up the soil and broadcast winter wheat the week before season opens...……...standard agriculture process and entirely legal...………….now...….

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Break up the soil and broadcast winter wheat the week before season opens...……...standard agriculture process and entirely legal...………….now...….

yep... I would probably plant 1/2 of it 2 weeks before, and 1/2 of it one week before. Probably plow it 3 weeks before season, then again the day I planted it.

cgrover1

What has changed? I feel as if I'm missing something since you say now. Was a rule/law changed?

jakebuddy

In the southern part of the state, if you are hunting over wheat you must follow the legal planting dates which is Sept 15. What changed?