What's on your "bucket list"?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Thanks Pappy, not necessary, I was just going to capture the moment/opportunity to support a forum member in appreciation for the positive feedback. I got it covered here, thanks again for the offer!
:yeah:
No man. I would love to do it. My little part of helping, since I am not close enough to help turn a wrench.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Since I'm on a roll, might as well include our plumber friend who has been instrumental in moving this project along.

His former '69 Road Runner 383, all original, except 272/455 Purple Shaft cam on the engine refresh. (notice anything familiar rayjay???)

20160403_231227.jpg
Current project, guess we better get on this one next! 1972 Duster with modified 360 4bbl, purple shaft cam, 3.91 gears, Doug Thorley headers.
If any of you have bumpers sitting around, the plumber would like to know!
:banana:
20160130_130358.jpg

Last edited:

rayjay

Remember the Charger with the early Hemi ? It's probably parked around there somewhere.

rayjay

When I worked at Hyde Olds in 72 the used car dept took in a 440 auto GTX. It needed the wheels balanced big time. While it was sitting waiting to have the wheels balanced I used it a few times to go pick up parts. At the time I had a 65 Galaxie, 390, factory 4 speed, black on black, bench seat, skinny tires, drum brakes of course. I thought it was fast. Ha. That GTX would set you back in the seat at 125 mph more than the Ford did at 10 mph. Yes, I was a stupid fool. Lucky to not have killed some innocent driver with my juvenile antics.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Remember the Charger with the early Hemi ? It's probably parked around there somewhere.
Man I sure do,!!! Black charger, maybe newer body style? radiused fenderwells (Nascar style), 392 Hemi, old guy, (seems silly to say that now...), always wore a cowboy hat, super nice to us "kids". Beautiful workmanship for the time period. Ironic, heard he was sick with cancer last time I saw him at a meet. Wish I had pictures...

Last edited:

rayjay

My last drag car. This would have been 93 or so. Ran all out it's best was a 12.63. To run Sportsman aka Footbrake I had to slow it down to 13.00. That red truck is about to get a free pass into the next round :( I have that pic too....

camero.jpg

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Commerce! ?
Wait...did I just "like" a Camaro?

"What in the wide, wide, world of sports is a goin' on here anyhow...?"
::gone:

Last edited:

rayjay

The guy that now does the jobs I can't do on the Dur and van used to have the same hybrid type of camaro. Alum bumper 77 body with a 78+ front end. For me I got to leave the bumper reinf off. Just some small tabs tying the bottom of the fascia to the core support.

This guy had his camaro when he was still living in Denmark. Turbo charged motor, don't remember if sbc or bbc. Those crazies would build these bullets and then drive to Germany and let them loose on the autobahn. He ran his at over 180 mph. Insane. Awesome !!!!! You better have your aero figured out. He said his would suck the door windows out of position and scare the crap out of him.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
"Bucket List" in the news today:
Hometown Headlines

DavidJoelEngine-e1561212694774.jpg

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Group of friends appeared this evening to pull the motor back out for inspection/repair and new cam and lifters. Pulling a motor this soon after you installed it, reminds me of Yosemite Sam and the drawbridge... open it, close it...

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Too rusty for me, but I do live in Georgia. I could probably help with engine and drivetrain, I've done some bodywork, one job amazingly good, but I take forever, and don't really like it. Man's got to know his limitations...

Update:
Motor at the machine shop, hopefully being "worked in" a tight schedule to get cleaned/checked out. New cam and lifters to be installed, then rinse, lather, repeat on the engine install.

Discovered an error on my previous transmission escapades. (I know, nobody believes I messed this up :banginghe), but the new front pump bushing, meant a partial transmission disassembly in the vehicle, and I didn't get the rear drum clutch pack seated properly, causing a bind. (cue transfixer shaking his head about now...), "You really should have just pulled the transmission and did this part on the bench...". Got that all wrapped up, now just waiting, hoping to get it done while my friend is still able to drive and enjoy it.

Thanks again to all of you for your kind words and support.

Last edited:

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I just had to respond. I owned a 1970 AMX, 390, 4SPD. It was an awesome car that I left stored at my Dad's house when I got sent to Germany in 1981. I ended up selling it to buy a new BMW 320i, to cruise the autobahn.

This is not my car, but is just like it. Except that mine had a black hockey stick stripe vs the white on this one. It was a very fast car, faster than my 1969 Road Runner, but not as quick as the new Corvette I took to Germany on my 2nd tour in 1988.

View attachment 973352

"Paging model88_308 to the courtesy desk please..." :stir:
00C0C_aCrjVOw4eUP_600x450.jpg

69 AMX

"Paging model88_308 to the courtesy desk please..." :stir:
00C0C_aCrjVOw4eUP_600x450.jpg

69 AMX

NICE!! Mine was a 1970. Less than 25,000 total were made in 68-70. It was not the most practical car for a Dad of two, but it sure was a fun car. We lived in N.C. in a house with a carport. After I'd wash it I'd pull it up in the carport, leave it idling in neutral, get a beer and sit there drinking that cold beer just listening to that 390. Lol....:bounce:

normaldave

GON Weatherman
In our last episode, I got to repair my goof up in the 727 transmission, we've reminisced a bit on the good ol' days of musclecar life, Joel has spent some time in the hospital with an infection, but seems to be doing better. We're waiting on the phone call from the machine shop giving the new motor the "all clear", along with our new camshaft and lifters, even some of you have joined the crew!

What do bored mechanics do to kill time? They find new projects of course! Joel ordered a used tailgate from way out West, but his hinge pivots were so damaged, that they couldn't be used or repaired without major bodywork. He warned us not to open the tailgate or we'd have 65+lbs of tailgate in our hand, since the only thing holding the tailgate in place was the latch itself.

What do we do, when faced with such a challenge on a 1971 Dodge D100 "Rustbucket"? We call in help, Jeep J20 pickup owner-type help...humble, lovable, Geologist by trade, Superhero Fabricator extreme in the off time, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, (well his is pretty tall). ::ke: It's jrobertsj20 to the rescue!

He drops by, looks at my hopeless case, says "let me think about it". Next thing I know his truck is backing into the driveway, welder loaded, I kid you not, 30 minutes later, Joel has a working tailgate.

He copied the original design of his Jeep J20 pickup, we busted the rusted hinge plates off Joel's truck, and "J20 Man" (said in my best superhero radio announcer voice), fabbed up some cool adjustable spacing hinge swivels.
WP_20190629_19_42_07_Pro.jpg
He cleaned up a bit of rust, (well a lot actually):
WP_20190629_19_41_56_Pro.jpg
Welded them in place:
Made a special flat sided nut for the left side to make the tailgate removable:
WP_20190629_20_12_34_Pro.jpg
And Voila! problem solved:
Cut a notch in the rusty tailgate to fit the flatted nut to make it removable from the left side. On old Dodge trucks, you have to unbolt the hinge plates to remove the tailgate. It's a pain if it is rusty, nearly impossible if you have a rustbucket.

We showed the video of the working tailgate to Joel. He was stunned. He said when he felt better, he was just going to stand there for an hour, opening and closing the tailgate, and smiling. I'm smiling right now, just thinking about it, and in gratitude for jrobertsj20 and his idea from his Jeep J20 truck.
v__5d1b-jpg.950473

Thanks again to everyone!:yeah:

Cmp1

BANNED
Mng gents,,,,
Walking down the hill yesterday,I swear I saw a restored 71 Dodge truck like your guys roll by,,,,I could be wrong,,,,I was once,,,,?,,,,but even close to the same color,,,,but two toned,,,,

Lot of folks restore up here,,,,what else to do in the winter,,,,

I'll keep an eye out and try to grab a Pic,,,,

normaldave

GON Weatherman
"Holy Moo-Cows!!!" Look what the Little Brown Truck just delivered from NE GA Pappy!

Thank you kind sir, you people are indeed one of a kind. This engine re-start is well on it's way to success. Can't wait until Joel sees this!:fine:
WP_20190701_15_22_54_Pro.jpg

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
"Holy Moo-Cows!!!" Look what the Little Brown Truck just delivered from NE GA Pappy!

Thank you kind sir, you people are indeed one of a kind. This engine re-start is well on it's way to success. Can't wait until Joel sees this!:fine:
View attachment 974681
I wish I were close enough to come and turn some wrenches with you guys. Dylan loves to get elbow deep in any project involving a motor.

He cranked my 7.3 Ford the other day, and came told me.. Dad, that thing blew a little gray smoke when it first cranked. I think we need to tear it apart and rebuild it.

I told him I would break both his arms if he put a wrench on that truck... :popknot::popknot: