What's the best way to waterproof a canvas messenger bag?

Richf7

I picked up a canvas messenger bag which is perfect for trout fishing/wet wading. I'm not sure if a water repellent like Scotchguard spray would work and need something which would penetrate the fabric. Thanks din advance.

GeorgiaBob

What about painting beeswax on the inside and using water repellent spray on the outside? The beeswax should stand up to fish fins and other wear. The spray should be less likely to fail in the sun.

Just a thought.

Bream Pole

Why do you want it waterproof.? The water that seeps through keeps fish cool. The canvas and similar creels you can buy are not water proof instead they have a pvc lining. You could perhaps accomplish same thing with a heavy duty zip lock bag on the inside. Mine is not waterproof and has pvc liner. You can look at several on Amason most under $25.

Mine, an Arcticreel, I've had since early 70's is one of the first of these type creels. They can be bought at Mad RIver Outfitters. Much more expensive than what you see on Amazon but better made.

JakkBauer

Why do you want it waterproof.? The water that seeps through keeps fish cool. The canvas and similar creels you can buy are not water proof instead they have a pvc lining. You could perhaps accomplish same thing with a heavy duty zip lock bag on the inside. Mine is not waterproof and has pvc liner. You can look at several on Amason most under $25.

Mine, an Arcticreel, I've had since early 70's is one of the first of these type creels. They can be bought at Mad RIver Outfitters. Much more expensive than what you see on Amazon but better made.
i was thinking he just wanted to keep his stuff in it not fish, but he did not mention so who knows

Richf7

i was thinking he just wanted to keep his stuff in it not fish, but he did not mention so who knows

Really just for tackle. That Arcticreel looks awesome but I didn't want to spend that much. Using the bag for a creel makes sense but don't want all that weight on my shoulder. ;)

blt152

Just a thought but for what you would pay for an Artic Creel you could buy a midrange fly vest which should be high enough on your body to keep your tackle dry when wading.

Richf7

Just a thought but for what you would pay for an Artic Creel you could buy a midrange fly vest which should be high enough on your body to keep your tackle dry when wading.

I’ve got a pretty good one with plenty of pockets but can never remember which one has the spinners, Rapalas, split shot, swivels,etc. (it’s a personal issue). The messenger bag just seems to work best for me.

chadf

There’s some really neat chemical treatment repelants/ water proffers out there.
Co worker showed me some videos. I don’t know the name, but it made anything it was applied to water proof .

Bream Pole

I bought on Amazon a spray bottle of Starbrite Waterproofing with PTEF for my jeep soft top that had starting leaking. Did two heavy applications a day apart and now have zero leaks in the heaviest of rains. Didn't have any leaks when I pressure washed sides of top after application. Might try that stuff; it works great. price was around $20 for a large spray bottle. Jeep top is a tight weave, if bag real loose weave might not have same success, if fairly tight should work great.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
If you're going retro with a canvas bag, why not go retro with the traditional way of waterproofing canvas? Canvas tents, tarps, packs, etc. have been waterproofed for a few hundred years with wax. Search for canvas wax. Otterwax makes some, as does Fjallraven. I've used Fjallraven's Greenland wax on some canvas pants before. It comes in a bar, like soap, and you rub it onto the fabric and then heat the fabric with a hair dryer.

JakkBauer

If you're going retro with a canvas bag, why not go retro with the traditional way of waterproofing canvas? Canvas tents, tarps, packs, etc. have been waterproofed for a few hundred years with wax. Search for canvas wax. Otterwax makes some, as does Fjallraven. I've used Fjallraven's Greenland wax on some canvas pants before. It comes in a bar, like soap, and you rub it onto the fabric and then heat the fabric with a hair dryer.
this is pretty much exactly what i would do

Richf7

Just saw Otterwax on Amazon the other day. Thanks for the advice.

barongan

an interesting question. I too was looking for it
o.png

Bream Pole

Rich what did you end up doing and how successful was it.

crackerdave

I bought on Amazon a spray bottle of Starbrite Waterproofing with PTEF for my jeep soft top that had starting leaking. Did two heavy applications a day apart and now have zero leaks in the heaviest of rains. Didn't have any leaks when I pressure washed sides of top after application. Might try that stuff; it works great. price was around $20 for a large spray bottle. Jeep top is a tight weave, if bag real loose weave might not have same success, if fairly tight should work great.
Thanks...I've been looking for something to put on my Jeep top!