What's wrong with people

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Well the thing is it's not just me. My neighbor is on the same system as me. So if yall want to hunt public land or just wait till deer season to do anything that's fine. Bottom line is it cost money to do anything. Yea o can lease it by myself sure. Its just not the only place I hunt. Also would love to have about 3 people and up the dues for each works me if you no anyone send them my way I can't find any that are willing. Dont get me wrong you can kill big bucks by doing nothing but sitting there I have done it but when you do things to better your chances or make the place better then y not do it. Maybe its just me maybe I over do it but that's just how I am and what I do. I have a one acre food plot at my house that I will sit in maybe a handful of times but I still do it. All I'm saying is when it comes down to it no one wants to pay to play they just complain I guess no one knows what I'm talking about?

Sounds like my kinda place , is Jones co in southern zone ? If so I may be interested , I already hunt one place on the northern and southern zone line that’s in northern zone and don’t want another !

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
We got a complaint box at our club house. Just write it and drop it in.
An I wish I could remember where the key to that box is. :)

It’s a challenge just saying.

shdw633

Well the thing is it's not just me. My neighbor is on the same system as me. So if yall want to hunt public land or just wait till deer season to do anything that's fine. Bottom line is it cost money to do anything. Yea o can lease it by myself sure. Its just not the only place I hunt. Also would love to have about 3 people and up the dues for each works me if you no anyone send them my way I can't find any that are willing. Dont get me wrong you can kill big bucks by doing nothing but sitting there I have done it but when you do things to better your chances or make the place better then y not do it. Maybe its just me maybe I over do it but that's just how I am and what I do. I have a one acre food plot at my house that I will sit in maybe a handful of times but I still do it. All I'm saying is when it comes down to it no one wants to pay to play they just complain I guess no one knows what I'm talking about?

I think many get what you're talking about, it's just the ROI that is what I think is off kilter. If you were dealing with 1000 or more acres then you have a larger herd that you can manage and can get a decent return on your investment in deer sitings and opportunities; but on 300 acres the numbers are not usually there as that is approximately 1/2 square mile and if your in an area that holds 35 to 40 deer per square mile then you are managing about 15 to 20 deer....for 5 members. Now if your buck to doe ratio is 1 to 1 then you have about 10 bucks running around for 5 hunters, but if you are more like 2 to 1 does to bucks then you have about 5 bucks running around your 300 acres and if your have any property nearby that is not hunted it is more than likely that the deer will head there when the season starts leaving you even less deer to manage/see. Now if you were only hunting 2 or 3 hunters then you have a better hunter to deer ratio and that might have a better ROI to a hunter. But based on the numbers, you are asking for a good chunk of change for an opportunity at a small amount of deer as compared to a lease that has 1000 acres or more and is more likely managing a herd of 80 to 100 deer, with say 10 to 12 members. Keep in mind I am not saying you don't have more deer and I have been on small pieces of property that were funnels that had a lot of deer come through them and you might be on one of those. I am just telling you what the average hunter might look at if he's just looking at your place for the first time with no knowledge of the area and just crunching the numbers as to whether your property is worth a chance on or not.

Last edited:

jsa1281

Understand what your saying. But our 300 and the neighbors 700 makes 1000 acres. They do what we do and some maybe I didnt explain that up front. As far as buck to die ratio goes in my opinion we have a pretty equal amount from what I see maybe even a few more bucks than does. Theres also a couple hundred acres that is on a couple sides of us that is off limits to hunting. I've tried with the landowners and they have no interest in letting anyone on there land. So totalled up your taking about 14 to 1500 acres roughly. And the deal with the feeders in my opinion the bucks that are 3 1/2 and older are not the ones that I'm interested in really feeding. Dont hst me wrong I'm interested but I think it would do more for a buck from the beginning of its life more so than the one that's already a few years old and stuff born and is not gonna eat from a feeder more than a few nights a week because he is to stubborn. But who knows maybe I'm wrong.

Mako22

BANNED
You are the guy running the show I assume so you will hear all the complaints. What I do is if you complain you don't get invited back the next season, its as simple as that. It took me a few seasons as club president to figure out how to deal with cry babies but I did figure it out.

GottaGetOutdoors

The hypothetical breakdown by shdw633 is dead on. Let's say you limit buck harvest to 4.5-year-old and older. That means, of the hypothetical 5 bucks on your 300 acres, you may have 1 buck on the entire property that is a shooter. If you limit buck harvest to 3.5-year-old and older, then there may be 2 shooter bucks available to the 5 members.

Killing more deer than the land can yield is like burning the furniture to stay warm.

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
How many deer do you think that 300 acres sustains?

5 people hunting

This is why numbers are down.

30 years ago the club I was on was 300 acres and we had more than twice that many people on it. Plenty of deer

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
How many deer do you think that 300 acres sustains?

5 people hunting

This is why numbers are down.

5 people hunting 11 deer, lol. And feeding them for the neighbors. I don't know what's wrong with them. Kick em all out.
Most bucks I've ever seen was on a 30 acre funnel between high pressure tracts of land.

Sounds like he's offering a good place for deer to be with his management practices. Your land doesn't have to "hold" a lot of deer, just give them a place to go when the pressure is on by others that don't know how to manage them.

rance56

Most bucks I've ever seen was on a 30 acre funnel between high pressure tracts of land.

Sounds like he's offering a good place for deer to be with his management practices. Your land doesn't have to "hold" a lot of deer, just give them a place to go when the pressure is on by others that don't know how to manage them.

if you arent holding the deer, is feeding high cost protein worth it? would corn be better alternative? in Georgia, in my opinion, for most people the only way to meaningfully increase antler size is through age.

shdw633

if you arent holding the deer, is feeding high cost protein worth it? would corn be better alternative? in Georgia, in my opinion, for most people the only way to meaningfully increase antler size is through age.

That was my biggest take away from it all. We had a 30 acre piece of property in Illinois that 9 of us hunted; however, it was a funnel between two pieces of large timber tracts that were surrounded by corn fields so the deer just went back and forth through the funnel. Plenty of deer but the idea of planting food plots or an off season feeding program would only have been a waste of money in my opinion. Perhaps the OP should consider cutting back on the feeding program and let the members handle it on their own, thus reducing the cost upfront for the membership.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
That was my biggest take away from it all. We had a 30 acre piece of property in Illinois that 9 of us hunted; however, it was a funnel between two pieces of large timber tracts that were surrounded by corn fields so the deer just went back and forth through the funnel. Plenty of deer but the idea of planting food plots or an off season feeding program would only have been a waste of money in my opinion. Perhaps the OP should consider cutting back on the feeding program and let the members handle it on their own, thus reducing the cost upfront for the membership.

I believe he stated that the food plot programs were above the cost of the membership. I could be wrong.

shdw633

For instance I have a 300 acre club in jones co. We feed protein and plant what we can.

It cost money to do extra things like plant and feed I guess they dont realize how much. I know its alot of money trust me but y complain about it when you could do something about it??

If I am reading it right, they plant the foodplots and feed as part of the membership

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I won’t hunt there because ;-/
I think if I killed a big buck someone would talk about how I got it from there stand or they had it pic or they let it go ! Not big enough and all this.
I wouldn’t even place corn or hunt a plot there. I think any mature deer would know it was hunted and avoid during daylite. If it went there during day it would know the stand was empty. ;)

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
It works best in large tracts of land. If there are no large tracts, then it's trying to get neighboring tracts on the same page with goals. Otherwise, you are feeding deer for the neighbors with no goals.

Before I would take the time to complain about something I hunted, I would first leave. It's hard to find like-minded people to hunt with, without some turnover.

Sometimes it's easier just to find a place to go hunting.

PappyHoel

There ought to be a law that says you can’t have more than 1 member per 100 acres on hunt clubs.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
When we consider all 1500 acres around us it’s only $3.66 an acre.
When we can’t hunt 1200 acres of that land the price goes back to $18.33 an acre on 300 acres. Shdw post is spot on. I would expect to own a copy of the lease if I was said to be an equal paying partner of that lease. If he said no then something ain’t right. Hypothetically.

I won’t hunt there because ;-/
I think if I killed a big buck someone would talk about how I got it from there stand or they had it pic or they let it go ! Not big enough and all this.
I wouldn’t even place corn or hunt a plot there. I think any mature deer would know it was hunted and avoid during daylite. If it went there during day it would know the stand was empty. ;)

Sounds like the cry babies in our club, if they just see one, it's there's.