When/If do U stop answering to UR parents?

feathersnantlers

Is there a certain age that you feel you can quit answering to your parents?

I am 36 yoa and still feel somewhat responsible that I live up to what my parents taught me. If I tell him(mom is dead) I am going to do something then I better do it. If I raise my children different I better have good reasoning.

Just curious if you feel this way your entire life.

Thanks - FnA

leadoff

GONetwork Member
feathersnantlers said:
Is there a certain age that you feel you can quit answering to your parents?

FnA

Never! The way I see it, the way my parents raised me and what God expects of my life are inseparable. In other words, if I live my life in a Christian manner, then I am living my life as my parent's raised me and am making them proud!

I still feel a huge responsibility to my parents. Part of "answering to my parents" is representing my family as a whole. Although the life I live is my own, I am well aware that I have a last name that I am representing as well. Family pride and heritage means a great deal, and I wouldn't want to do anything to tarnish that name. :)

Randy

I'm with Leadoff. I may not always do what they want or expect but I expect to have to answer to it! And for my Dad it better be a good answer. I think so far they are proud of me. They think I am in the Elite Class!

Handgunner

I make my own decisions about things, but I ALWAYS listen to what my parents have to say.

I'm a self-admitted Mom's boy. I'm a big boy, and mom a little woman but at any point, she could still "tan my hide". :D

I live my life how I want, but keep in mind the morals/ethics that they instilled in me.

CAL

Well,I am 61 and the only one left of my original family.I still answer to what my parents instilled in me to this day.I guess you could say I have to protect not myself but the reflection I leave from what I was taught at a young age.I personally feel obligated to my ancesters and the name I was given to conduct myself in a manner they would be proud off.This is what I taught my children also.So I will always be answering to my parents and will never stop.

GeauxLSU

Forever

My father died in 1998. My mother died less than two years ago. I still 'answer' to them.
Funny thing is, the OLDER I got/get, the more I found myself living as they would have wanted.
I realize not everyone was blessed with great parents. I am humbly thankful that I count myself amongst those who were. ::;
I miss them everyday.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

stumpman

Banned
I agree with cal to a extent. when you raise your family your the head of that house. Things should run the way you see fit . When I go to my parents house I still do what I'm told or asked to do. I also run my home pretty much the way I was raised. I think that's one of the best compliments you can give your parents. For them to see they taught you right and you followed If this makes sense what I'm trying to say.When you raise your family you don't really answer to them but you respect them and do as your asked of them .

Stumpman

mpowell

i love my parents. i feel they did the best they could in instilling quality values and raising me to be a responsible adult. and, i appreciate all they did for me.

i will always respect my parents, their values, and their opinions but that doesn't mean i always agree with them!

H

HT2

Parents.....

Well, I don't know if I feel that I necessarily have to answer to my Mom......My Dad passed away 13 years ago......

But, I felt when he was alive that I did want his "approval" on most things I chose to do......I didn't always make the right decisions, and believe me.....He let me know when I didn't.......I think once your an adult, you choose yourself.......But, it never, ever hurts to hear their opinion, because if they raised you the right way, their influence is gonna factor in the final decision you make......No matter what it is..... :)

I never really answered to them, but I did respect and value their opinions on everything.....

dbodkin

My son is 34.... He is still mindful of his Mom & I as well as I to my Dad..

But to be sure...

"I brought you into this world.. I can take you out" that statement always works... :speechles :cool:

whiskers

The easy answer to this question is. When they are no longer your parents. Never happen for most people with parents who love them .

Whiskers
47 and still respect their opinion and wishes

gadeerwoman

Whiskers you said it . I might never have always done what my parents would have done had it been them but I always considered 'what they would have done' before I did something.

Toliver

My mamma always told me I would never be too old for a whoopin. I believe her. :whip:

TurkeyCreek

my mama just died this past summer and i was still trying to do things to meet her approval somewhat. but the last 6 months or so of her life in some respects i think the roles somewhat reversed and i was like the parent.

my daddy died in 93 and i was still trying to do good in his eyes. most of the time with little success, but it was mainly cause i don't think i was trying hard enough.

funny thing is now with both of them gone, i find myself asking myself "what would mama and daddy want me to do about this?...or how would daddy do this?" more so than i ever have before...

huntaholic

O man

still have both of mine, I love em just dont get along with them that well,my sister is the chosen child. :rolleyes: