When you hear a turkey gobble

T-N-T

75 yards isnt too close if I can manage it.

hikingthehills

After an hour and a half I followed up the hill where he was at. I called a few time and waited about 45 minutes and decided to hit the house. As I was coming back down and as soon as I hit the bottom he started gobbling his head off where I was set up the first time. Not sure if it was him or another bird. I seen him walk right by where I was set up 2 hours earlier, this was at 1 pm. He was gobbling like crazy but would not come to any calling. I guess if I am going to kill a turkey this year somebody is going to have to tie him to the tree for me. It has been fun so far but beyond frustrating, these wma birds have tough on me.

Ballground

You will learn that sitting still will kill you a lot more birds than chasing them but if he's on the roost as close as possible taking consideration of the foliage and the terrain!!!!!!!!!!!

Twiggbuster

Learned that lesson (again) yesterday. :crazy: :(

Same here.
Got right close to one gobbling on the roost.perfect I though. Call really soft to keep his attention
Hear it fly down and immediately heads up a small power line gobbling every 15 mins . Get more aggressive with the calling and now it's 200 yards away. Decide to move ahead and cut him off. Get about 40 yards still hid and see perfect setup 2 steps away . Move and boom see it running backdown the pw???

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
After an hour and a half I followed up the hill where he was at. I called a few time and waited about 45 minutes and decided to hit the house. As I was coming back down and as soon as I hit the bottom he started gobbling his head off where I was set up the first time. Not sure if it was him or another bird. I seen him walk right by where I was set up 2 hours earlier, this was at 1 pm. He was gobbling like crazy but would not come to any calling. I guess if I am going to kill a turkey this year somebody is going to have to tie him to the tree for me. It has been fun so far but beyond frustrating, these wma birds have tough on me.

Hey dude ive been learnin that lesson once a weekend for 20 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like others have said, get as close as your surroundins will let you. If you can slip through thick woods then get inside a hundred yards. If ya got thinned pines, livestock inhabited hardwoods, then use caution and don't get too picky about getting close while he's in his tree.

Timber1

BANNED
Last few hunts have taught me they are all jumping out of their trees and heading up up up. Next one I hear gobble I'm just gonna start climbing. I have no doubt it will be the wrong decision.

whitetailfreak

Depends. On heavily hunted public land Im more aggressive with my setups and from time to time Ill booger a roosted bird because of it. This season Ive watched 5 gobblers die between 7-730 am, and each one I was setup within 75 yds of his limb.

pnome

As close as you dare! I've sneaked up to within 10 yrds before. And I've been busted @ > 100yrds.

GTHunter007

If he is gobbling without you calling him, use his lust against him and sneak as close as you dare before first calling. I have been inside of 30 yards below a rise before when letting out my first call. That is 99% of the time a dead turkey. Where some won't be willing to move 100 yards to a new spot, they will wander 20-30 yards just to take a peek into an area they can't see.

If he is gobbling in response to your calls, caution and judgement must be used to decide if he is closing on your position as well. A many a bumped gobbler has been busted by myself and every turkey hunter you will ever know because he was coming while we were going to him.

If a bird is responding real well to your calls but doesn't seem to be moving, stop calling and wait him out. Unless he gobbles again and is significantly farther away, do not move and stay on the gun. It is very very common for birds to shut up while closing the distance. If he is gobbling chances are he isn't walking very fast. Inside 75 yards they will often then try to light it up again in an attempt to further pin point the mysterious lady friend. This is where holding off the calls will often speed the process along in him showing up. Calling to him in many cases is almost like hitting the reset button and causing him to hold tight and wait for her to show. Force him to hunt you by staying silent once he shows interest. Trust me, even from 150 yards, he knows exactly where you are.

hikingthehills

If he is gobbling without you calling him, use his lust against him and sneak as close as you dare before first calling. I have been inside of 30 yards below a rise before when letting out my first call. That is 99% of the time a dead turkey. Where some won't be willing to move 100 yards to a new spot, they will wander 20-30 yards just to take a peek into an area they can't see.

If he is gobbling in response to your calls, caution and judgement must be used to decide if he is closing on your position as well. A many a bumped gobbler has been busted by myself and every turkey hunter you will ever know because he was coming while we were going to him.

If a bird is responding real well to your calls but doesn't seem to be moving, stop calling and wait him out. Unless he gobbles again and is significantly farther away, do not move and stay on the gun. It is very very common for birds to shut up while closing the distance. If he is gobbling chances are he isn't walking very fast. Inside 75 yards they will often then try to light it up again in an attempt to further pin point the mysterious lady friend. This is where holding off the calls will often speed the process along in him showing up. Calling to him in many cases is almost like hitting the reset button and causing him to hold tight and wait for her to show. Force him to hunt you by staying silent once he shows interest. Trust me, even from 150 yards, he knows exactly where you are.

Sounds like some good advice. Thank you sir. Tomorrow may be my last hunt this year and I still don't have one on the ground, sure hope I dont screw it up.