Where Are The Deer?

LUCKYDOG

WE HUNT IN STEWART AND QUITMAN COUNTIES. THROUGH BOW, BLACK POWDER AND NOW OPENING WEEKEND, WE ARE NOT SEEING DEER. THERE ARE PLENTY OF TRACKS BUT NO FUR YET. I HAVE MY STAND AROUND THE ONLY WHTE OAK TREE WITH PLENTY OF LARGE ACORNS AROUND. I HAVE A TRAIL CAMERA SET UP THERE AND NO PICTURES. WHAT GIVES, WHAT ARE THEY EATING, WHERE ARE THEY AT? ON OUR OTHER LEASE WHERE THERE HAS BEEN NO HUNTING PRESSURE AT ALL, WE GOT SOME REALLY GOOD PICTURES BUT THEY WHERE ALL AT NIGHT. NO DAYTIME PICTURES. THIS PAST WEEKEND WE HEARD VERY FEW SHOTS. I'M AN EXPERIENCED HUNTER THAT DOES LUCK OUT SOMETIMES. "YOU CAN TELL BY MY NAME". ARE YOU FELLOW MEMBERS GETTING THE SAME RESULTS? ::huh:

mpowell

don't know what to tell you. we've seen plenty over in screven county. hope your luck changes--especially once the rut kicks in!

spaceman

Not Seeing Deer

I HUNT IN STEWART COUNTY. I HAVE SEEN 5 DEER, SHOT 2. OUR CLUB IS OFF HIGHYWAY 27 NEAR LOUVALE. EVERYONE IS SEEING DEER AND HOGS AND I'VE HEARD LOTS OF GUNSHOTS ESPECIALLY AROUND 10:00 AM. Ii ONLY HUNT ON WEEKENDS AND ALSO LIVE IN FLORIDA. WE HAVE 1300 ACRES WITH ONLY 8 MEMBERS. USUALLY IF IT IS BROWN IT IS DOWN BUT WE ARE GETTING SELECTIVE SINCE ALL OUR FREEZERS ARE FULL!!

Gary Messenger

There have been so many acorns that they have not been moving a lot.If you are in the acorns that they are eating,you are covered up.Be patient they will get to you.

Deerman

No Deer

I have not seen a deer either, I hunt in Olgelthorpe county. I only hunt on weekends. But I will be off for week the first of Nov.Keep hunting they will show.

Rackbuster

Lucky

I hunt in Quitman co. also(just before you get into Stewart co.)and haven't seen but one deer.Saturday morning there was several shots around me but none seen on our lease.One was shot at Sat. eve. but he hit a limb.Like you said there is plenty of sign but no sightings.Maybe they couldn't get to me Sat. for all the surrounding hunters. ::huh: :D One things for sure the hunting is going to get better because it can't get any worse. ;)

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Where's the venison??

Bow season, blackpowder, and now gun. No deer, minimal sign even where the acorns are. Miller and Early counties. Last season was slow this time of year and didn't really pick up until the last two weeks. :type:
Many area's have had a drastic reduction in deer numbers due to crop depredation permits and liberal doe harvest. Do the math. If you have a pasture full of cows with one bull per every ten. You take every big bull and some young bulls every year along with ten cows per member. How long do you think you'll be cattle hunting? I believe Ga. hunters were mislead into believing we have an unending supply of deer, resulting in over harvest in many areas. Shucks, take a 1000 acre club with ten members, they take what bucks they can and take 10 does each, that's over one hundred deer in a season. Anybody got them numbers on their property? In my opinion, if you're not seeing deer everytime in a stand, you don't have too many deer.
And that's the truth. I remember the days when you were hard pressed to find a deer track, I believe we're heading that way again in some parts of the state.