Where are Winchester Model 70's made these days?

HughW2

I have been thinking about a new model 70. I would like to buy an American product and of late can't decipher production.
I knew Winchester closed down New Haven, CT; and thought they were moving to FN Herstaloutside Columbia, SC.
I heard today they are producing out of Portugal. The Winchester website does not share any info.
Please sharif you know. Also share if you are aware of any differential in quality on current production.
Thanks!

Reactions: Dub

35 Whelen

Although subject to change, as of 2018, this is the breakout for current models:
  • Made in Belgium, Assembled in Portugal
    • Super X3 (SX3)
    • Model 101 Over & Under
  • Portugal
    • Super X4 (SX4)
    • XPR Bolt Action Rifle
    • Model 70 Bolt Action Rifle
  • Turkey
    • Super X Pump (SXP)
  • Japan
    • Model 1885 Single Shot Rifle
    • Model 1866 Lever Action Rifle
    • Model 1873 Lever Action Rifle
    • Model 1886 Lever Action Rifle
    • Model 1892 Lever Action Rifle
    • Model 1894 Lever Action Rifle
    • Model 1895 Lever Action Rifle
    • Model 71 Lever Action Rifle
  • Various facilities
    • Bases, rings, choke tubes, etc.
      • Listed on packaging

Reactions: Dub

Robert28

An word from recent buyers of M70 on the current quality?
I bight an M70 Sporter 30-06 about a month ago and the quality is fantastic! Combine that with the $75 rebate going on right now and it's easily one of the best rifles for the money. It was $783 but with rebate it was $708. You have until October 31 to buy and rebate must be submitted by November 15 I believe.

rosewood

Although subject to change, as of 2018, this is the breakout for current models:
    • Super X3 (SX3)
    • Model 101 Over & Under
  • Portugal
    • Super X4 (SX4)
    • XPR Bolt Action Rifle
  • Turkey
    • Super X Pump (SXP)
  • Japan
  • Various facilities
      • Listed on packaging

That is just blasphemy!

An word from recent buyers of M70 on the current quality?

I've purchased six of the FNH M70s since they began production back in '08. They were all very nice rifles and all have shown excellent accuracy. Two were given as gifts on WW hunts and I still own the other four. One is a JOC Tribute in .270, one is a Super Grade in .308, one is a Super Grade LE high grade maple in .308 and one is a LE high grade maple Featherweight in .308. IMHO, there is no better rifle value today than a M70 Super Grade as a high quality heirloom rifle.PART_1538760878427_0815181543a-2.jpg

Others in the cabinet are a pre '64 Featherweight in .270 (far right) and two featherweights, one a Featherweight XTR in 06 and the other a Featherweight Classic in 7/08 (far left two rifles).

JonathanG2013

I have been thinking about a new model 70. I would like to buy an American product and of late can't decipher production.
I knew Winchester closed down New Haven, CT; and thought they were moving to FN Herstaloutside Columbia, SC.
I heard today they are producing out of Portugal. The Winchester website does not share any info.
Please sharif you know. Also share if you are aware of any differential in quality on current production.
Thanks!

What Caliber are you looking to get?

leoparddog

So what happened to the Columbia FNH plant? Are they still producing rifles there? Maybe only military models?

Robert28

So what happened to the Columbia FNH plant? Are they still producing rifles there? Maybe only military models?
I think when they started making the XPR rifles in Portugal it must have been somehow cheaper to build the M70's in the same plant even though they're made with American parts from my understanding.

I remembered the differing stamps on my FNH M70s and I just checked the four still here. Here's what they say, from oldest to newest:
1.) Made in USA
2.) Made in USA Assembled in Portugal (two of mine)
3.) Made in Portugal by Browning

Never realized how much I was missing until I bought my savage 22 with a left handed action. Can't believe I shot the wrong action for 40 years. I won't buy another right handed bolt for myself.

I'm right handed, but left eye dominate.
It really feels awkward working the action of a left handed bolt gun to me.
I love my tang safety M77s and A-Bolts.

Dub

• Super X3 (SX3)
    • Model 101 Over & Under
  • Portugal
    • Super X4 (SX4)
    • XPR Bolt Action Rifle
  • Turkey
    • Super X Pump (SXP)
  • Japan
  • Various facilities
      • Listed on packaging

Wow. That's interesting.

For some reason, I was thinking they were being made in Columbia, SC. Not sure why I was thinking that.