Where do we draw the line between

lampern

opportunity and enjoyment of turkey hunters and safety?

By this I mean do we restrict or ban certain methods of taking turkeys or not?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
No. You teach gun safety and target identification. Then you teach it some more, until it is second nature.

But no matter what, there will still be stupid idiots out there who will still take shots without proper target identification. Always have been, always will be.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Agreed but I still don't think this "reaping" method is suitable for public lands.

Aren`t you the one who wants to legalize baiting for turkeys?

lampern

Only if its legalized for other animals so turkey hunters are not cited for illegal hunting near feed sites for other animals like deer.

Nothing like having a hunting club off limits to turkey hunting because of deer or hog feeders.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
If you want baiting legalized and reaping or whatever they call it made illegal, then why don`t you concentrate on talking to the folks who make the laws in North Carolina, since that is where you live. If you`re hunting in our state of Georgia, then follow the laws as they are written here.

Johnny 71

Junebug
If you want baiting legalized and reaping or whatever they call it made illegal, then why don`t you concentrate on talking to the folks who make the laws in North Carolina, since that is where you live. If you`re hunting in our state of Georgia, then follow the laws as they are written here.

Yup

Booner Killa

There is no difference in reaping and hunting over an other type of decoy. I said I would never reap a turkey. That was before I tried it. It's a blast and is every bit as exciting as killing one that was called in with a call. It's just different. I get a kick out of the statement to "ban" reaping without banning decoys in general. The statement makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I can guarantee you commuting to Atlanta daily on the interstate is way more dangerous than reaping ever will be. It makes absolutely no sense.

turkeykirk

If you legalize baiting you won't have to outlaw turkey fanning. Nothing easier than sitting over a corn pile waiting for the turkeys to show up.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I've moved around cow pastures with a strutting decoy about a dozen times and it helped me kill a gobbler 4 or 5 times. It scared away the gobblers I wuz huntin about 7 or 8 times........so I figure.....that's the same odds as other methods of huntin....so whats the big deal.
Now when I've used a struttin decoy I've been on private land assuming I was safe......now with all the hunters gettin shot it's sumthin I'll consider responsibly ON MY OWN!!!!!!!! I don't need legeslation deciding how to keep me safe!!!! There's enough laws for that already!

tknight

No. You teach gun safety and target identification. Then you teach it some more, until it is second nature.

But no matter what, there will still be stupid idiots out there who will still take shots without proper target identification. Always have been, always will be.

:clap:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
The turkey hunting shows are teaching the new turkey hunters how to hunt & what they have to buy to hunt a turkey. They watch the hunts on prime turkey lands.

I would not worry with what others do if it legal and not effecting you. The average new hunter that watches the turkey hunts and try's that way may get one but most likely not.
They have no one to show them the way u hunt. Showing hunts like that on the hunting channel does not sell there turkey toys.
Hunt your way. Be happy.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member

Exactly !

Riverrat84

Yep!

Killed a couple with a fan, and sent a couple running too. Never "reaped" a gobber though. It ain't magic that works every time, its that ole boy turkey that don't have much love in his heart but has alot of hate that it will trick. As far as public land, if you are dumb enough to crawl around behind a fan then don't be shocked if you feel a stinging sensation folled by a loud boom. Goes back to the post quoted above. I personally don't have to worry about shooting any reapers because i have yet to see a gobbler come walking in backwards. And i try to shoot for head and neck not heiny and fan. Just go huntin and be safe

Doug B.

Reaping? Is that anything like harvesting? That's what I do in my garden. I don't know what reaping has to do with turkey hunting ,but, I guess I have unknowingly reached the old fogey stage in life. I also don't watch the TV shows. Hmmm, maybe that's where I'm missing out. :huh:

deast1988

IMO, if folks choose to Reap it's still hunting. An we should call it what it was originally termed as "Fanning." U can see the replies folks that have done aren't 100% with it. Its still hunting it's not an end all tactic it plays on Nature An Dominance of birds not wrong to exploit nature bend it into your favor. You don't get to enjoy the show but if your persistent enough to crawl across a field in any condition behind a fan or decoy to try to kill a bird more power to you. I feel u need to be smart about it deep in National forest public or the hunter rich WMAs where it's 15 guns for 1 gobbler not the brightest idea but huge spans of private land where u should be the only person there u still risk it but not like crawling through the woods of Ceder Creek. Folks wanna come on here An bash but Ive seen spotty success On here from guys who actually have tried. If it gets folks out chasing buy license shells helping local business I'm for it. Now for the Gentlemen who wants to corn his birds to hunt I feel like there isn't any challenge in that. Run trail cams An hunt at a local feed time lol. How can u condone fanning An be supportive of baiting no clue. Again not knocking anyone I know very few will take up the challenge of crawling a plowed SOuth Ga, Ag field after rain behind a gobbler decoy several hundred yards with a gun.

nick_o_demus

To each his own... As for me, I think I'll stay in the woods where "real turkey hunting" is done. LOL!

:stir::pop: