Where exactly is the Gnat Line?

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
The Gnat Line

The Fall Line is a real line. There is geographical evidence to show that it exists.

The gnat line has no such basis in fact. Gnats exist wherever conditions are suitable for their reproduction, namely warm temperatures, adequate supply of moisture, along with decaying organic matter, silt, or sandy, porous soil. I will add that Kaolin pits constitute an ideal habitat for gnats. They are found there because local conditions are favorable, not because they are on the "gnat line".

It is true that the above described condition exists more generally in the Coastal Plain, but at the same time it cannot be said that this condition does not exist north of the Fall Line.

Heavy gnat infestations are generally local in nature and can occur anywhere in the state of Georgia. All that is required is that conditions remain favorable and stable long enough for a hatch to occur. The notable exception to this rule is the coastal area of our state where there are vast areas of coastal marsh, constant moisture, and an abundance of silt and sand. Here the notorious Sand Gnat reigns.

Loafy

The gnats we have here in Swainsboro are annoying at times..... they get in your eyes and mouth and such but they are no where close to the sand gnats (flying teeth) that are around the salt marsh areas of the coast.

Those things are mean!!!!! They bite.

I'd rather have the annoying kind than the biting kind anyday.

We have some relatives that live in Ohio that came down once a few years back. Every time they walked outside they would commence to swatting and ducking and blowing their breath around. They asked me how we dealt with all of those aweful gnats. My reply was simply, "What gnats?"

Hntr130

There is a Distinct GNAT Line

When I lived in Jewel just on the Hancock/Warren Co line I had NO gnats at my house. When I went to work @ Hamburg State Park just 5 miles down the road across the Hancock/Washington Co line, I was covered in Gnats.

I am like Vernon they will be where they can survive and reproduce.

Happy Huntin

Stumper

i hunt on the sw corner of hancock co near the baldwin co line and trust me, the gnats are in full force! They chewed me up last weekend.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I called the ones in Statesboro that just annoy you dog wee wee gnats!!!! Said wee wee to be uhh in the guidelines of the board!!!

You get used to them after a while. Practicing shooting my bow in the summer was the worst. Come to full draw and a couple crawl up your nose, a few more crawl into both of your ears!!!! If you can hit the bullseye with all that distraction, your golden!!!

Tommy

DaddyPaul

I don't know what kind of gnats we have in N. Florida but they are terrible! My Thermacell runs the skeeters away but it doesn't even begin to disperse the gnats.

dbodkin

hey RPaul11

In Pittsburgheses it wout be " I'm going to the Islay's to git a pound of jumbo , youins want anything else an gnat?"
Never heard it in reference to GA. ;)

johnboy13gsu

20 years of hunting in Howard which is a few miles east of Butler off Hwy 96 and they never fail to show up when we do. In fact they are attacking me as I type this on my phone. 4 years of college in Statesboro gave me plenty of time to get aquainted with those monsters that thrive in Bulloch County. There is no escape.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I have been around gnats here in Middle Georgia all my 62 years,with the exception of 4 years in the US Navy. I am fairly well versed in fanning,smoking,waving your arm,and blowing gnats out of your face. You can tell how long a person has been around gnats, by observing the technique a person uses in an attempt to repel gnats. Attempt is I believe the proper word,I've never seen it done completely. I went to elementary and middle school without benefit of airconditioning. That's right,the windows were open in hot weather,and gnats had a free time with us kids. Now after having said all this,and after reading Mr. Holt's post I realize my lack of true familiarization with all the gnats that Georgia is blessed with. I therefore pledge my fidelity and allegiance to Mr. Vernon as Gnat Czar of GON, and professor of all things gnat related. We were told growing up that the Fall line was the gnat line,and that the area of peach production was the gnat areas. I've seen myself,exceptions to those erroneous ideas. I agree with the emminent Gnat Master,gnats are where you find them.

BriarPatch99

If you do not know what a "Dog A** Gnat is, just observe your dog closely when he is outside for a few minutes.

Therefore .... the Gnat Line... is a straight line from your dog's axe to your mouth!!

Nothing like a still October day ... near a marsh in SE GA!

Sapelo Island... Sand Gnats in the day ... Mosquitos at nite ... red bugs(chiggers) and ticks all the time!!!

Jimmy K

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
I like the name Ricky Bennett calls them "flying teeth"
I call em Gator gnats!!:D........No-Seeums!!.........Don't really notice the bite......Just the itch that follows!!:rolleyes:

Not the same as the gnat's as those below the gnat line. the gnat's below the gnat line don't bite, and are mostly an irritant

Sand gnat's are near the coast, and you notice the bite!!:smash::smash:.........Well I have been told they don't actually bite.........They spit acid on your skin!!........I'm sure someone who knows more than me will correct me on this one!!:D

It's roughly from columbus to macon to augusta--although I'm not sure of much east of Macon. . I have noticed that north muscogee county (columbus) has few if any gnats and south muscogee has plenty.

T
And this would be roughly the Fall Line!!:bounce:

When I lived in Jewel just on the Hancock/Warren Co line I had NO gnats at my house. When I went to work @ Hamburg State Park just 5 miles down the road across the Hancock/Washington Co line, I was covered in Gnats.

I am like Vernon they will be where they can survive and reproduce.

Happy Huntin
Hamburg would be the northern range of the Gnat's that don't bite........No See-umms/ Gator gnat's go further north!!:bounce:

As stated before soil type plays a major role in what types of gnat's live in your area!!:D

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
if u want gnats to go away. take bout $25 to bass pro say whats up to me in footwear then go to campong and buy a thermacell. it doesnt give off a smell and nothing will be within 5 feet of you! hard to belive...i thought so to till nevamiss270 turnd it on around me/ :cool:

You've obviously never been to Albany this time of year. A thermocell actually attracts them.:mad:

I did learn pretty quick that they are most fond of vegetative areas; grass, mulch, etc. and if you stood in the middle of an asphalt parking lot they were rarely found. But then you're conundrum was whether to tolerate the gnats or melt the soles off of your shoes avoiding them.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The minute you cross the "gnat line" you know where it is. If you don't know where it is you haven't spent enough time outside.:bounce:

joedublin

BriarPatch has got it right...SE Georgia is Gnatlanta...the worst sand gnats in Georgia live in Brunswick and the marshes of Glynn County !!!

BowArrow

If you see someone pucker their lips and blow upward, you know they have lived in S. Ga. with gnats.

swamp hunter

I,m in very South Florida. Keys are 98 Miles away. We got two kinds here. No-See-Um,s. Mangrove Swamp Killers. Make You sit in the water all Night with the Sharks when Your Camping. Silent Death.
Dog Gnats, bout a Bizzion of Them. In
Your Face , Your Nose , Your Ears. Don,t bite Just drive You crazy.
Sandy Soils, And 5 Miles away..Mangrove Mud .... Did I mention Skeeters ?