Where to shoot to put a deer down.

georgia_home

i like jims placement, and i also like the spot down a little and just back a tad... have done both, and they work extremely well.

without the shoulders, its hard for them to run. anywhere.

down/back SLIGHTLY, heart lungs... works well for me to.

both shots allow for margin of error, and still a quick kill. if not perfect broadside, quartering away, low/back will come out through opposite leg. if quartering to, shoulder will usually do lung damage.

also, i dont know about the everyone else... since in usually hunt with shorter shots, and long range accuracy isn't as important... i try to hedge heavy on my loads... 243, i use 100gr, '06 i use 220.

does anyone else go a little beefier on the load when they can? just to maybe hit a little harder?

DanBROWNING

The best place to shoot a deer, And the best place to shoot em and drop em in their tracks are 2 different questions. I shoot em right behind the crease in the shoulder 1/3 of the way up.(straight through the heart) Taught my two boys to do the same. None of us have ever lost a deer and the front shoulders are usually intact. Many drop right where they stand. All of em drop.

Wanna turn em off like a switch? Right behind the ear.( what did you expect its a fact)

x2. never lost a deer.