Where were You When..................

You got the tragic news of the attacks on New York?

I'll never forget, I was running some crown molding made out of plaster in a round room, in one of the largest homes I have ever worked on.
A truckdriver was dropping a load of materials, and had a tv in his sleeper.
We took turns in the truck looking at the news.
It goes without saying I didn't get much crown run that evening.

one_shot_no_mor

Never forget...

My wife and I were doing some volunteer work at our local Community Theatre. She walked up the street to get me some PVC glue and fittings from the hardware store. She was white as a ghost when she came back with the news...

Skipper

Banned
I was going through the drive through at the bank making the moring deposit from the previous day's business. I wasn't alive when JFK was shot, but I suspect everyone knows where they were for both events. I was at the shopping center when Ronald Reagan was shot and remember seeing it on a television in one of the windows of one of the stores.

Dad and another man own a building leased to the Army Reserve in Corbin. When the towers were hit, the reservists were called into the center within a few hours and they were sending down weaponry from the armory in Richmond, KY. I don't remember where dad was that day, but the CO inspected the building and made a list of things that needed fixed immediately. Security lights that were burned out, a malfunctioning pin lock on a double door and a bunch of light bulbs. He called me and I spent the afternoon working on that building to get it ready to house the weapons. Talk about cooperative. I called the glass company and told them what I needed for that door. They said they would have to order the pin assembly and bushing for it, but when I told them where it was going, they immediately took apart the door to their store and robbed the parts from it then drove them over to me. The hardware store guys stayed in an extra 30 minutes to assemble my list of electrical supplies and other items I needed to get the lights operational. The owner called me about 2 hours after he closed to make for sure that I had everything under control and even sent over one of their work hands to help me out.

Skipper

Jeff Phillips

I was at the Lancaster Hotel, in downtown Houston TX. We were having a Distributor meeting before going to the Instrumentation Society trade show. The meeting was a breakfast meeting that started at 8:30. I wasn't due to talk to the group until 10:00 so I was lollygagging and watching CNN in my room. When the 1st 1 hit I went down and told the president of the company. He sent me back up to watch what was happening and report back. When the 2nd 1 hit and there was something burning in Washington, I went back down and announced it to about 100 men who were from all over the world. We shut down the meeting, rolled in TV's and watched the events.

I ended up driving a rental car home from Houston 3 days later!

H

HT2

9/11........

:( I was workin' down in Moultrie, Georgia......

I had just finished at a store and was headed to Camilla........

I couldn't believe it....... I listened to the radio for the rest of the day, but it really didn't sink it, until I got to the hotel and saw the pictures......

Tragic, tragic day......

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
I was in a job meeting at the Fayette County Jail & Justice Center.

My wife called and told me that WSB had just reported that a "piper cub" had accidently collided with the Tower.

All of us around the table recieved calls over the next 30 minutes as the pieces began to come together.

We finally broke the meeting & each one went to find a TV.

On my way home I had to stop & get gas at a place in Conyers. I'll never forget the Arabs behind that counter and the smirk on their faces as the rest of us mulled and shuffled around in a daze.

It made me physically ill. I'll never forget.

Ladies and Gents, we MUST become energy independent!

Havana Dude

I was

Laying plywood on the roof of a garage addition on a house. Heard it on the radio. Had lunch that day at the Subway, mood of everyone was very somber. Then I had to deal with all the Anthrax scares at my other job(FD), for several weeks.

TurkeyCreek

i was at a weekly construction meeting at lucent. one of our guys who wasn't in the meeting came in and said that a plane had just crashed into the "World Congress Center". ::huh:
in a minute he came back and said it was the World Trade Center in NY and that another plane had hit it...

after about an hour the construction manager finally broke up the meeting so that we could go and get info...

we closed down operations around noon and everyone went home..

Last edited:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I was at work, at my computer doing payroll record updates. We have a TV in each of our company breakrooms. And employees on break started coming to HR and telling us about it. I got to the breakroom to see for myself about the time the second tower was hit.

stumpman

Banned
Iwas comming home that morn crossing the three wooden bridges near my house when the first plane crashed then saw the second one on tv

Outdoor-Writer07

High School...

I was a senior in High School and found out about it around the start of my 2nd block class. My teacher was crying and carrying on, I didn't know what was happening. We went to the computer lab and got on the internet and checked it out. Later in the day, we listened on the radio in another class. I won't never forget football practice that day. Everyone had an eye to the sky and there wasn't a plane that came by that didn't get noticed. Very nervous folks, but who wasn't scared or nervous. I sure know I was! :flag:

Hittin Bombs

I was running wire for a new custom home, and on the radio they said that a plane had crashed into the WTC, at first I thought it was some kind of joke or something. Then they said a second plane had crashed into the WTC. Well me and my partner,(seeing how nothing was getting done now) took a early lunch and went to a restaurant to watch the news.
Later that evening on the way to a softball game at exactly 8:02pm, my buddy was driving and I shotgun, down Powder Springs rd in Marietta/ For some insane reason this Drunk guy in the in the turn lane decides that he needs some more beer and turns directly in front of us. Me and my buddy at the same time say "OH $!3%" and then BAM!!!!!! We Broad side him. And the best part is this guy has No Insurance, No Drivers Licence, No Registration and this is his 4th DUI!!!! I still suffer from neck and back pains too this day. I will NEVER forget 911 day. :mad: :mad:

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
I was helping my youngest son put in an air condition unit and my oldest came over after getting off from work and told us.

georgiaboy

I was in Bosnia and my platoon and I had been in position for about 12-16 hours and it was late at night (in Bosnia) when we got the call over one of the tactical radios. Our Battalion sent out a call to everyone that planes had crashed into WTC and the Pentagon and it was believed that there were up to 10 more planes with terrorists aboard. This turned out to be false but we spent a sleepless and nervous night securing our perimeter and observing some Bosnian Serbs at a site. We were kept abreast of the news via radio and the next day a local brought a paper with the WTC on the front cover and my interpreter read it to us. The worst part was enduring the terrible remarks made by the Serb soldiers and many civilians who taunted us and made jokes about the whole attack that next day. They were happy it happened... I have never wished for someone to attack so I could "defend" myself so bad. I should add that many of the locals were sympathetic. I got to see everything on TV two days later when we got back to base and I was able to call home to reassure family and friends. I will not forget where I was.

GeauxLSU

I was in the middle of firing a guy. He was a good guy and I had been pretty worked up about having to do it (first and last company wide lay off in my company's history). We got the news in the middle of me telling him he was unemployed and in a tragic way, it put it all in perspective for both of us.
What a surreal day it was.
To those foreigners who took joy in our loss, they better thank their god that our God is a forgiving one.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

jkidd278

I was at work.(fire department) My Captain and I were getting together some hazardous materials training tapes for our shift to watch and another coworker ran into the room and told us to come quick, look what just happened! Well we got in there and started watching the news and everyone was saying "How in the world could something like this happen? Was the plane going down and just didn't have any control or what?" Then we got to talking about all the people that must have just died in this "Freak accident." Well we kept watching in disbelief when it happened. The second plane hit the other building. It was apparent to us then that we were under some sort of attack. Everybody immediatley started making phone calls to loved ones and friends. It was so unbelievable. Nobody could say a word. We were speechless. It was a long day that day as we kept watching the news and seeing these people killed, hurt, dazed, confused, and hearing the terrible THUD noises as people were jumping out of the buildings away from the fire. It is something I will never forget. And I hope to never see anything like this ever again.
Thinking about all those people that lost their lives that day in those cowardly attacks is something I do not like to dwell on, but it is something America should never forget.

Woodsong

I was at my computer preparing some budget and forcasts for production for the next year. I was working for Habitat for Humanity at the time and one of the volunteers who answered phones and processed paperwork, etc. in the office came running in to tell us. She always listened to WSB, otherwise who knows when we would have heard. I listened to the radio a bit and then had to go to the shop to pick up my truck that was just done being worked on from the day before. They had a TV in the lobby and I watched the towers come down from that little fuzzy 1980's TV. Since our office was on a church campus, I went to the chapel and then to the youth center where they had a wide screen where a lot of church staff, etc. were there watching in disbelief. I went home around lunch to spend the day with my wife and to take her to her parents so that she could see it on TV since we didn't (and still don't praise the Lord!!) have a TV.

goldentrout

I was in the middle of teaching when our counselor entered the room with a note about it and instructions for us. We all gathered in one room at lunch right as the second plane hit. Athens was like a ghost town on my way home that day. I will always remember that period of time much like both of the space shuttle accidents.

GH22

I was getting ready to go take a test and saw the news sat down on the couch and saw the second plane hit. I'll never forget it...man it doesn't seem that long ago.

:flag: :flag: :flag:

Out in the yard doing some work

When my wife came out and told me. I thought a plane had crashed. I went inside and was watching the news when the second came in.:(