which bullet?

Thread starter #1
Over the years I have tried several different .50 cal bullets. Last year it was powerbelts, this year it is TC shockwaves. The problem that I am having is that 60% to 70% of the time I'm not getting a pass through. I'll skin the deer and the mushroomed lead will be just under the hide on the opposite side. (by the way - a poerbelt mushroom looks cooler than a TC muchroom)
Most of the time the deer drops in its tracks, but last year I had a doe run (less than 50 yards) with VERY little blood on the ground.

What bullets are ya'll using? Are ya'll getting pass throughs, or the same problems I'm having?

Have you tried the "Barnes Expanders" all copper?? I switched to them as I shoot a 45 and was worried about penetration. Copper bullets are more expensive but out perform most lead bullets at least as far as penetration goes.

LD, I get passes about half the time with my shockwaves. with slow moving huge expanding bullets, that is going to happen a lot. think about shooting through a phone book with a bullet moving 3000 feet a sec and that is shaped like a #2 sharpened pencil...and then shooting through the same phone book at 1800fps with a pointed crayon the size of your thumb.

although I love my shockwaves, I have been looking into these http://www.harvestermuzzleloading.c...ion=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3&vmcchk=1&Itemid=3 because of the reviews I have read

This season I am using 2 very different bullets. In 1 rifle am sticking with a 245 grain CVA PowerBelt on top of 3 Triple 7 pellets. The rifle a CVA Hunter Bolt with a 24” barrel. The other is a Hornady 350 grain GMX, on top of 2 Triple 7 pellets, out of a Rossi with a 20 barrel. Had tremendous success with the CVA combination over the past 10 or so years. Lets see how the Hornady woks.

I've only tested the terminal performance on game 3 times with my ML so far. I use 250gr shockwaves over 100 gr of blackhorn 209. the first time was a coyote and I didn't get a pass through, but wow did he go down hard. The next two times were on deer and I got pass throughs both times with shots broadside and right behind the shoulders. Both were very devastating. I do prefer pass throughs, so the yote made me nervous. I have read such terrible things about the Powerbelts that I never want to try them. The shockwaves are doing the trick for me so far so I will stick with them. It also helps that they shoot clover leaf groups out of my Omega.

Tom

R

redneckcamo

caped out a nice buck earlier that was shot with a powerbelt and a fragment passed thru but the most of it was just under the skin ......
the buck didnt go very far tho !
I am hearing some great reports on the shockwaves an the barnes tho !!

THREEJAYS

I 've used many different but I'll stick hands down to the areo tip 245 powerbelts.I've taken 8-9 deer with them and usually they have went down on the spot or in sight.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Re:

I use a 300 Nosler Partition in .458 caliber with a sabot, the same thing I reload in a .450 Marlin or a 45/70. I also use 110 grains of Blackhorn 209. Every deer I have shot with this combo, I've gotten a complete pass-thru. All were ranges between 20 and 180 yds and all were DRT.

The bad news is Partitions can be pricey, but they are worth it.

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
If you are finding the bullets on the off-side hide then the bullet has performed perfectly. It has deposited all of it's energy into the deer after turning the insides to jelly.

If you are worried about losing a deer because of a lack of a pass through then I would suggest shooting high shoulder. They will drop right there and probably won't even twitch.

WOODIE13

GONetwork Member
I personally like no pass throughs. All energy is expanded in the animal and if 50 yrds is the least you have to track, you have done good.

I shoot 180 grain 30-06 soft points (round nose) and they do not pass through, but the deer do not go far either.

bowman77

If you are finding the bullets on the off-side hide then the bullet has performed perfectly. It has deposited all of it's energy into the deer after turning the insides to jelly.

If you are worried about losing a deer because of a lack of a pass through then I would suggest shooting high shoulder. They will drop right there and probably won't even twitch.
X2 high shoulder will drop'em every time.