Which caliber for my son.

transfixer

I understand .223/5.56 AR's are a great rifle to teach youngsters shooting, but when it comes to using one on deer the shooter needs to be very confident of the ability to put the bullet where it needs to go, and ammo choice is critical. The 5.56 is marginal when it comes to stopping/killing power as reinforced by our own military ,, they have complained for years about the round. Will it kill a deer ? sure ! but your chances of it running off and you not finding it increase greatly when using a .223 as compared to something like a .243 or 7mm08 or .308. I own an AR in 5.56 , and also one in .300blkout, even with the .300bo the bullet choice is critical. There is something to be said for larger capacity cartridges shooting heavier bullets.

LittleDrummerBoy

I wouldn't waste my money on s single shot of any caliber. A hammer is deadly with little kid fingers and hands.

I've guided at least a dozen youths and adults killing their first deer with single shots with hammers. I've never seen or known the hammer to be a problem.

delacroix

BANNED
I understand .223/5.56 AR's are a great rifle to teach youngsters shooting, but when it comes to using one on deer the shooter needs to be very confident of the ability to put the bullet where it needs to go, and ammo choice is critical. The 5.56 is marginal when it comes to stopping/killing power as reinforced by our own military ,, they have complained for years about the round. Will it kill a deer ? sure ! but your chances of it running off and you not finding it increase greatly when using a .223 as compared to something like a .243 or 7mm08 or .308. I own an AR in 5.56 , and also one in .300blkout, even with the .300bo the bullet choice is critical. There is something to be said for larger capacity cartridges shooting heavier bullets.
Have made good shots on deer with .223 and .243? Using 62gr Fusion or 77gr TMK in the .223?

Mark K

Banned
Our military isn’t shooting deer and taking optimal shots and are limited to what ammo they can use.
I don’t care what caliber you use, a bad shot is a bad shot. Seen deer lost with 30’06 and .300’s. Why? A bad shot was made.
Seen deer killed with a .22 and it dropped straight down.
About the only rifle/bullet I know that doesn’t really matter where you hit it is a Ruger Carbine .44 Mag. A 240gr hollow point is deadly no matter where it hits.
The same gun I started hunting with is the same gun my son started hunting with. That Ruger hasn’t had a deer run yet.

Dbender

I've guided at least a dozen youths and adults killing their first deer with single shots with hammers. I've never seen or known the hammer to be a problem.
A single shot with a scope leaves little room for your finger. Small fingers aren't strong enough or practiced/familiar enough to "safely" depress a hammer in my opinion. Especially when cold. A bolt and a single bullet is much safer.

au7126

222 is a killer with no recoil. Neighbor has used one for 20 plus years and had one buck on cover of GON that made him the week winner for truck buck shootout. I have 222 and 243 in Remington 600 Mohawk that my sons and grandkids have took a good share of deer with.

Mark K

Banned
I’ll go ahead and say this, I think a lot of youth are “pushed” into hunting. I made mine go a year of just asking to go before I took them. Even then if their groups weren’t closer than 1.75” they didn’t go with a gun. And like already stated, they had to point on the TV where to shoot and when. That still doesn’t account for Buck Fever, but I always told them to repeat aim small, miss small three times before they could send it.

jmac7469

Just my 2 cents

I learned to shoot 30-06 At a young age. I was a big kid and could easily handle it. I learned to kill deer with a bolt action 25-06. Still shoot 25-06 today and will likely deer hunt with it the rest of my life. Extremely low recoil and with a 120 grain round plenty of knockdown power. If I ever get to teach a child it will be with that caliber. Ar's are great but I'm not a fan for hunting, personal preference there. Defiantly not saying anything bad about them have several in the gun safe. I think a bolt action 25-06 is the way to go.

Rich M

I’ll go ahead and say this, I think a lot of youth are “pushed” into hunting. I made mine go a year of just asking to go before I took them. Even then if their groups weren’t closer than 1.75” they didn’t go with a gun. And like already stated, they had to point on the TV where to shoot and when. That still doesn’t account for Buck Fever, but I always told them to repeat aim small, miss small three times before they could send it.

What I've been seeing lately is guys with kids where they expect the kids to be as good as them and then get all bent out of shape when the kid is scared to shoot the rifle or makes a bad shot cause he's only fired 3 shots all year long.

I didn't measure the groups but made my stepson hit a 6-inch sticker target from diff positions before we went hunting. Got his first deer shortly after that. We still do that before a hunt - shoot a few shots and remember what we're all about. Plus it helps him remember that the gun isn't gonna wonk him or something.

Also - same thing on shot placements and angles - kids and wife seem to enjoy doing that before a hunt. I've got a trail cam picture screensaver we shoot every time we shut off my computer. LOL!

K80

My 9 year old daughter will be using my .300 blackout.

buckpasser

My 9 year old daughter will be using my .300 blackout.

AR or other platform? Have you used the gun much on deer?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

Shot placement is ALWAYS critical no matter the caliber.

K80

AR or other platform? Have you used the gun much on deer?
Ar platform. She shoots my 223 well. It's the best platform in my opinion, the adjustable stock lets it fit her and me. And when I switch to the slightly more recoil of the 300 she'll be none the wiser.

Killed two with it. Worked great both times. All shots behind the house are less than 100 yards.

buckpasser

That’s been my experience as well. Glad to hear it. You are obviously a very smart guy to be doing what you’re doing!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Ar platform. She shoots my 223 well. It's the best platform in my opinion, the adjustable stock lets it fit her and me. And when I switch to the slightly more recoil of the 300 she'll be none the wiser.

Killed two with it. Worked great both times. All shots behind the house are less than 100 yards.

I let Dylan start shooting my .300BO in an AR when he was 10. He only weighted 78 pounds then. It was never an issue with him on recoil or noise. We have never lost a deer that he shot with the 300 either. There was a deer in Mississippi that we lost when he was 8 that he shot with a .243 single shot H&R. That gun kicks worse than my Ruger M77 30.06

My grandson SamSam has shot the 300BO. He just turned 8. His main problem with it is the weight of the gun. After he holds it up for a while, his arms get tired, and he startes wobbling and shaking. To solve that problem, I let him shoot from a rest. He uses a shooting bar in the 2 person ladder stands we hunt from anyway, so that really isn't an issue.

Yep. We finger point to the kill zone on deer pictures on tv, in magazines, on the computer or anywhere we find pictures of deer.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Oh yeah... We are shooting the 120 grain Remington loads, OTFB Supersonic

similar terminal ballistics to a 30-30, but shooting from a much more comfortable platform.

My other choice for a first gun would be a 336 Marlin in 30-30. Short, easy to handle. Easy to make sure it is in a safe position with the hammer.

SC Hunter

I've said this a bunch a 7mm-08 is the best all around caliber for deer in the Southeastern United States. Get a rifle that fits him and let him shoot until he is tired of shooting. I've killed more deer with a 243 than any other gun I've ever owned and most dropped where they stood. A good bullet will get you solid blood trails. Let him shoot several before you buy something and let him decide what he wants.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Honestly I started with a 243, but it was a light weight single shot and kicked pretty solid for a small caliber. My synthetic stock Remington 308 kicks way less, and has more stopping power.
I'm no expert. Not at all. But having shot the nephew's .243's a time or two, I always felt like it they were thumping harder and possibly even louder than the .308's. These caliber recommend/debates never can get anywhere, everyone has their own opinion, it's how it will always be, and it's cool with me. In the near future when it's time to my son a rifle, I'm pretty sure it wont be a .243.

SC Hunter

I'm no expert. Not at all. But having shot the nephew's .243's a time or two, I always felt like it they were thumping harder and possibly even louder than the .308's. These caliber recommend/debates never can get anywhere, everyone has their own opinion, it's how it will always be, and it's cool with me. In the near future when it's time to my son a rifle, I'm pretty sure it wont be a .243.
I had a model 700 243 that had some pop to it. I have a TC encore 243 that has zero recoil hardly. My stepson killed his first deer with it at 10 and is a tiny kid. I can say though my 700 243 was worse than my browning 308.