Which crappie jigs

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
I've been minnows only for years and years, really just tossing around a roadrunner when it's slow. Figured on building up a jig box to start throwing under docks, or swap over when the bite gets too fast for rangling with minnows. Almost exclusively at lake Eufaula if that matters:

Which jigs and colors are your favorites?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I grew up using small "doll flies" (now called buck tails) in white or yellow. But I've recently found out about "Lil Fishies" from Wally World and have caught plenty on them. A couple of years ago I watched my friend catch the biggest crappie I've ever herd of on one. We were fishing for white bass when he landed a crappie that could cover a plate with plenty left over. I still don't know what made a bigger splash, him dropping that fish back in the lake or my tears on the bottom of the boat from watching him toss it back.

WPrich

I like the rage tail, strike king Mr. Crappie (thunder, slabalicious, and shadpole),Bobby garlands, and the roadrunners. As far as colors I like black/chartruese, blue/white, white, pumpkinseed/chartruese, red/chartruese, electric chicken, smokey shad, blue/chartreuse, popcicle, and monkeyshine are some of my favorites that come to mind. Don't have my jig box in front of me so I'm sure I got quite a few others that have done well on different days.

WPrich

I still don't know what made a bigger splash, him dropping that fish back in the lake or my tears on the bottom of the boat from watching him toss it back.

If it we're me it would certainly been my tears from seeing that fish go back!!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Yeah, I've got a big "camp fire" frying pan that those fillets would have just fit in, one at a time of course. :stir:

fish hawk

Bass Master
Get you a assortment of Hal Flys,beetle spins still catch fish too.

ryork

I don't think I've purchased a crappie jig in many years. Have a few boxes full of just hal-flys in multiple colors. They've always been my go-to. Have another couple of boxes with the Bobby Garland minnows and various jigheads. And then another with the small 1-2" Mister Twister or whatever brand name generic curly tail grubs.

I've found that colors that produce the best for me vary from year to year and from lake to lake. White, chartreuse, and what I call Christmas Tree (red-green-yellow) are my staples. I don't really shoot docks, but a couple guys that I know who do it a lot and are real good at it, swear by the Bobby Garland minnows.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Charlie Brewer's Slider jigs are all you need. Black/chartreause or Acid Rain.

kranich

No matter what jig type I use I always start with Chartreuse/ black combo. Has been my go to for 35 years fishing east and west coast crappie.

AStrick

I have an assortment of strike kings mr crappie spider tails or fan tails!
An assortment of Bobby garland curly tails
An assortment of sliders,,
My favorite colors for jigs on Alatoona?
Blue and white fan tail
Red and white fan tail
Dark green sliders whith chartreuse tail
Punkin seed slider with a chartreuse tail,,
I fish 8 - 10ft rods out the back ,, long line trolling,,, double jigs on each tipped with a minnow.
After boating a few fish hopefully?
You'll have it narrow down to what jigs are more productive on that giving day!
I started with one small box of jigs,
It has grown to 4 Purdy good size boxes,, then all the floats,,jig heads ,
Dock shooting poles, jigging pole,,
Sometime I run a few of my downline poles from my striper collection with the double hook rig!
Sometimes I like to throw a Beatle spin in there somewhere!
I hope ya catch a buncha slabs!
Fo Sho!

My choice of artificial depends on how I’m Fishing for them, trolling/pushing or casting. I prefer a ‘Mister Twister’ style chartreuse 1/16 for casting or brush pile dropping. The ‘fly’ mimicking lures for trolling, some flash in the spread often makes cash.��
Crappie can be easy peasy where you can throw anything and just as suddenly they can get picky like a Angry BossLady. I take a small assortment of colors always.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I've been minnows only for years and years, really just tossing around a roadrunner when it's slow. Figured on building up a jig box to start throwing under docks, or swap over when the bite gets too fast for rangling with minnows. Almost exclusively at lake Eufaula if that matters:

Which jigs and colors are your favorites?

My best jigs at Eufaula for dock shooting and vertical jigging wood has been Southern Pro Stinger Shad (the ier version of the Baby shad) with a 1/16 or 1/32 pink head...my best colors are Blue Shiner, Blue Storm, Blue Thunder/Chartreuse and Popsicle. BG baby shads in Bluegrass and Monkey Milk have also filled the cooler at times.

Richf7

I grew up using small "doll flies" (now called buck tails) in white or yellow. But I've recently found out about "Lil Fishies" from Wally World and have caught plenty on them.

How do you rig them and what kind of retrieve works for you?

Quackmasterofgeorgia

Panfish assassin and bigbite baits curl tails, black/chartreuse, and bobby garland cajun cricket shad pole.

MOTS

The BIG CAT store in Georgetown has a great selection of Hal-flys. Also non ethanol gas. I had a friend who has passed that would wear us out with Hal-flys alone and us with minnows.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
The BIG CAT store in Georgetown has a great selection of Hal-flys. Also non ethanol gas. I had a friend who has passed that would wear us out with Hal-flys alone and us with minnows.

Thanks for this info, didn't know this... nice to have a source of non-ethonal gas for when I am staying at Eufaula.