Which of these 3 scopes would you choose

lonewolf247

Toss a coin. they are all that good. Nikon has warranty just as good as the rest. I have both Vortex and Nikon. My old eyes can't tell the difference.

I do not mean any disrespect, but saying Nikon’s warranty, is as good as the rest, is simply not true. Leupold, vortex, and Meopta, are written very similar, but Nikon is not. I’m just trying to get the correct info to the forum....

I just have to say that I have had first hand experience dealing with warranties from Leupold and Nikon. Although Nikon advertises a Full-Lifetime "No Fault" warranty, it is very conditional, and I'd read the fine print and full details of their warranty, before purchasing one.

I'm not trying to bash them, rather just giving a heads up, to someone, who is in the market, and thinking a warranty from Nikon, is one in the same with Leupold or Vortex.

From what I've read, and seen first hand, in order to use a Nikon Riflescope warranty, you first of all have to present a proof of purchase, a purchase date, with a bill of sale. Also, it's only available to the original owner. That being said, if you buy a used Nikon, it's not covered. If you can't prove you bought it, nor registered your warranty, it's not covered either. So, provided you've met all those criteria, it's a repair or replace warranty.

In my case, I sent them a prostaff scope, that would not hold zero, on my 35 whelen. They, evaluated it, and sent it back saying it was good. I put it back on the rifle, and it did the same thing. I couldn't get a group better than 3"-4" @ 100 yards. Replaced it with a weaver scope, and it grouped ~ 1-1/4". Shortly after, I traded the scope for a leupold rifleman.

In another situation, my brother acquired a old Leupold Vari-x III scope on a rifle he bought. He was not the original owner, nor did he have any sort of proof of purchase, warranty card, or anything even proving it was his. He asked if I could try to send it back for him. I called Leupold, and they instructed me how to ship it back, and didn't ask any questions about warranty cards, etc. A few weeks later, they replied by mail, saying they could not repair the scope, but would be shipping out a new one in the same power range.

Even though Leupold is not my most favorite riflescope brand, there warranty is second to none. I have no experience with Vortex, but have been told their warranty is very good as well.

One final warranty example.. I bought a used Sako .22 rifle, with a Swarovski Habicht 3-10x42 riflescope. The guy was a diehard hunter, and this was his squirrel hunting rifle. The scope was over 20 years old, and had been on several rifles, and was badly abused. It was still clear, but the magnification knob, was grinding when you turned it, and the fast focus, was frozen and inoperative. I had no warranty card, proof of purchase, wasn't original owner, etc.

I called Swarovski to see if I had any chance of a warranty or getting it fixed. They told me to ship it to them, and put ~$1000 of insurance on it. Maybe a month went by, and I received a letter saying it was going to be repaired. About another month later, I received it back and it was functioning like new, although it had several rings marks from years of service. That was several years ago, and it sits on my .270 today.

This is not meant to be a Nikon bash, more of heads up to know all warranty limitations, before buying. Many other brands do not carry transferable warranties either. Many need a warranty card as well. I know when I bought a couple weaver scopes, it was the same thing. I think Bushnell might be the same too, on some of their scopes.

Bottom line, all warranties are not equal. I'd read the fine print and return policies, on all scopes, before purchasing.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en...tting-Scope_No_Electronic-warranty-sample.pdf

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I’m pretty sure Leupold glass is not made in America

Oh lord. One piece on some of their scopes isn’t made here let’s stop buying them and start buying 100% China made

chrislibby88

Does that not happen with fancier scopes? I imagine any glass is going to fog if you breath on it.
Didn’t notice it happen this past winter on my Trijicons. They will all fog if you subject them to a big temperature and humid change, like walking from inside to outside.

nmurph

From Leupold's website-

All major optics producers acquire some or all of their glass from the same sources as Leupold. Some of these sources are located domestically, some are European, and some are Asian. The source of the base material is not nearly as important as the optical design. Our glass is so much clearer due to our proprietary lens coatings, how we engineer the prescription of the lenses, and the construction of the optic itself

Hillbilly stalker

What vortex model did you use
I told you wrong, it was a crossfire by Vortex. I am going to take my Vari X 3 3x9x50 off and put a vortex on if that tells you anything. I've hunted with that Leupold for 20 years without a problem, I can see that much better with the Vortex. My Leupold had the spa treatment 3 years ago....so there ain't nothing wrong with it.

zmgsvt

I told you wrong, it was a crossfire by Vortex. I am going to take my Vari X 3 3x9x50 off and put a vortex on if that tells you anything. I've hunted with that Leupold for 20 years without a problem, I can see that much better with the Vortex. My Leupold had the spa treatment 3 years ago....so there ain't nothing wrong with it.

Maybe nothing wrong with it but technology has changed. Is a $2500 tv from 20 years ago as good as a $300 tv from today? Nope. I get a substantial discount on vortex and rather buy Leupold unless I'll be dialing alot. Nothing they make until you get to the razor is as good at low light was Nikon's and Leupold's mid range scopes.

nmurph

Personally, I would turn over to one of the dedicated shooting forms and find me a good used piece of glass at a substantial discount. Most of those members are stand-up guys. I have bought several items from members and have not had a bad experience yet.

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

Maybe nothing wrong with it but technology has changed. Is a $2500 tv from 20 years ago as good as a $300 tv from today? Nope. I get a substantial discount on vortex and rather buy Leupold unless I'll be dialing alot. Nothing they make until you get to the razor is as good at low light was Nikon's and Leupold's mid range scopes.
That makes sense to me , the game changer between the two for me was the eye relief. The older Leupold you had to turn the entire eye piece, the vortex had a large ring I could get more adjustment from.

zmgsvt

That makes sense to me , the game changer between the two for me was the eye relief. The older Leupold you had to turn the entire eye piece, the vortex had a large ring I could get more adjustment from.

I believe you're talking about eye piece focus. If so, that's just to sharpen the focus on the reticle itself. You should be able to find the eye relief in the specs for each scope and that'll help you know where to mount the scope.

jrmcc

What about athlon rifle scopes? You can get a 4-12x40 or 6-18x40 for less than $150 and both have side parrelax adjustment that seems to help with clarity. I'v owned a bunch of nikons, Bushnell's, and a few athlons recently. All seem to serve there purpose on deer inside 150 yards. One thing I do like is the side focus and won't hardly buy a scope without that feature anymore.

lonewolf247

What about athlon rifle scopes? You can get a 4-12x40 or 6-18x40 for less than $150 and both have side parrelax adjustment that seems to help with clarity. I'v owned a bunch of nikons, Bushnell's, and a few athlons recently. All seem to serve there purpose on deer inside 150 yards. One thing I do like is the side focus and won't hardly buy a scope without that feature anymore.

I think Athlon is on the right path to becoming a real player in the riflescope market. They make some quality riflescopes, and they stand behind them with a good warranty. They cover all price ranges from $100-$2000. So it appears they are targeting a large span of the market. That being said, I think the cheaper scopes, less than $200, will rival most other scopes in that price range. However, you can't expect a $200 scope to exceed a $500 scope, generally speaking.

I own one myself, and I must say, so far I've been pretty impressed. I haven't had enough time to thoroughly put it to the test, but time will tell.

Horns

I bought the Vortex DB you are talking about 2 weeks ago from Midway for $149 with free shipping. I like it but haven’t put it on a gun yet

lonewolf247

^That 4-16x50 Viper, or 2.5-10x44 Viper, for $249 would be a step up from the Diamondback. As far as the exposed turrets, it’s a preference thing, for hunting I rather not have them. I sight in for MPBR, of my caliber, and call that my max.

Reactions: Dub

Bjrink

Leupold has my vote. Do yourself a favor and check out the Redfield scopes. They have leupold glass but are much cheaper!

nmurph

^That 4-16x50 Viper, or 2.5-10x44 Viper, for $249 would be a step up from the Diamondback. As far as the exposed turrets, it’s a preference thing, for hunting I rather not have them. I sight in for MPBR, of my caliber, and call that my max.

I have this exact scope and a VX-3. I don't see any difference in the glass. I would jump on the $249 price if I needed another one.

Buford_Dawg

I can tell you the Freedom has excellent glass for a budget scope, I bought 2 last year to put on a ML and a TC Compact and after hunting with them thru the season I will be purchasing another here soon to replace on old cheap scope I have on a 22 Mag bolt action gun.