Which of these deer rifles...

HoCoLion91

I bought a Mossberg Patriot 270 Win for my 15 yo daughter last year. She wanted the wood Monte Carlo stock. Action is solid, scope is cheap, plan to replace with Nikon or Leopold. Added a sling and elastic bullet holder on stock butt, good first rifle.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Thanks everyone. Bought the Savage in 30-06 (family tradition) for the nephew who is a high school senior and a Guardsman. It felt tighter, more balanced, lighter in the trigger, and lighter overall than the Mossberg. Also the Weaver scope was a touch nicer it seemed, than the dead-ringer(?).

Enough gun to enable/motivate him to join his uncles and Grandpa at camp. Nothing fancy.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Curious to see what caliber you are going with for your nephew? I have been looking for some options for my young cousins (8-9 year olds) and have not decided on caliber yet.

My son killed his 1st deer with my 308. Limbsaver recoil pad & managed recoil ammo. He was 8.
That Christmas he got his own 308.

I put a lot of thought into it. I didn't want too heavy recoil but I also wanted a caliber that would give us the best odds of recovering a deer if he didn't make a good shot.

I personally have Ruger rifles. The one I hunt withis a Model 77 270. Had a fellow hunter ask me which is best, a 270 Savage or a 270 Ruger, I asked him which would kill a deer the deadest. BTW, that Ruger rifle is 38 yrs old and still killing deer.

Jimmypop

Cheapest rifle I ever bought is also my favorite , go too rifle....Marlin XL7 in 270. My backup is a Weatherby mk v stainless also in 270 . Neither will ever be for sale or trade.

krizia829

Between the 2, i'd go with the Mossberg but change the scope. Bass pro has the Remington 700 ADL with a scope for a tad bit more money. 10x better deal! Even the Remington 783 is nice for the money! Wait til Black Friday, shop online and have it sent to your local FFL dealer for the best prices. Just confirm what they charge for FFL Transfers and background check and add that to the amount of the gun. Good luck!