White Bass Restocking Program on Lake Lanier

Volsguy

Anyone have any information regarding the Lanier White Bass restocking program the WRD began back in (i think) 2016? Updates on how that restocking survived (or not) as well as future restocking plans?

crankie

Glad to know there's such program on Lanier. What's the purpose of the white bass there aside from recreation (control ???)? Didn't they get wiped out by blueback on Lanier?

deerhunter09

I was at the boat ramp when they were putting some in last spring. I haven't seen very many caught. I'd love to have a fishable population again.

Teh Wicked

Where did they stock them? Probably up in the nearest creeks.

I caught a nice white bass on an A-rig a few weeks ago. First one I've ever caught. I have no idea if it was a holdout or one that was stocked. Probably 2 pounds.

PappyHoel

Are they not there anymore? I would catch them all day long on the rocky points with watermelon zoom worms. That was 15 years ago before I gave up on Lanier.

lampern

Are they not there anymore? I would catch them all day long on the rocky points with watermelon zoom worms. That was 15 years ago before I gave up on Lanier.

Blueback herring eat all their eggs and they cannot reproduce anymore

Part of this might be to make sure the WRD has a source of brood stock to produce hybrid white/striped bass.

Many white bass populations are disappearing or declining.

Last edited:

The mtn man

Some of my best fishing memories are of the whitebass run in chatuge, that's long behind us now though. Thanks blueback herring.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Some of my best fishing memories are of the whitebass run in chatuge, that's long behind us now though. Thanks blueback herring.

Well, as long as those tournament boys get to catch them some spots, what else matters?

Fontana still has a good run, but I've heard rumors that the bait bucket boys have dumped blueback in there too, now. Goodbye to the best white bass and walleye fishery in western NC if it's true.

NC went to a 14" size limit for white bass now.

PappyHoel

Dang...if you didn't catch anything else on Lanier you could always catch a white bass on the rocky points.

ryork

I love fishing the white bass run up the Coosa and the Hooch out of West Point too for that matter. Just good old school fishing fun!

lampern

I love fishing the white bass run up the Coosa and the Hooch out of West Point too for that matter. Just good old school fishing fun!

Bluebacks in West Point will make the white bass runs disappear.

Enjoy them while you can

deerhunter09

I'm of the opinion that the Blue backs have negatively affected all species in Lanier, even the Spots. Sure, they are bigger, but there seems to be less fish nowadays. Your mileage may vary, of course.
I think they should stock hybrids to keep the blue backs in check.

deerhunter09

Where did they stock them? Probably up in the nearest creeks.

Up in the north part of the lake is where they stock them. I talked to the guys who were stocking them. They were pretty small, so I'm sure a lot got eaten. I've seen some schools of small whiteys on the surface up the river in the Clarks Bridge area, so I know some survived.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Bluebacks in West Point will make the white bass runs disappear.

Enjoy them while you can

The Blue backs are not taking hold down here. We were netting a few a few years back, but I can't remember netting any last year. I know there are still some around, but our water temp/quality seems to be keeping them in check.