Who got their gator with a bow (vs. snagging)?

Jasper

Looks like I'm going to Seminole this year with my son for gator. Snagging one would be a last resort for us personally. How many of you have gotten your gator with a bow and how difficult was it to get close enough? I know there are lots of variables involved in that kind of question but would like to hear some experiences. Thanks!

GeorgiaBob

I haven't, but my dentist did shoot a large 13' gator last year in northern Camden County. He said he hooked the gator with a whole chicken on a barbed hook with a wire leader thrown out to the edge of a creek channel against the marsh grass. He had a bow shot of 30 feet and waited until the big gator quit thrashing to take his shot.

The Doc gave me 5 lbs of very tasty tail (I cubed, battered and fried it) as proof of his William Tell like talents!

Georgia DNR says legal weapons include, "Hand-held ropes or snares, snatch hooks, harpoons, gigs, or arrows with restraining line attached. Lawfully restrained alligators may be killed with any caliber handgun or bangstick." But my dentist claimed that the local DNR guy told him he had to first hook or restrain the gator before he could shoot it with an arrow. My guess is that the "rules" are a little flexible and you had best check with local authorities.

I do know, from sitting quietly in creek side blinds near the coast, that larger alligators often have rather dependable routines moving between their own ambush hunting sites. When traveling, the gators move rapidly at the surface and pay little attention to anything not in the water or at water's edge. I saw three different 8' to 12' gators swim within 10 feet of me just last winter. I am guessing that even though the critters are very territorial, they are less attentive to what is on land beyond their reach, and tend to ignore that other gators swim the same waters as long as they are never in close proximity.

HunterJoe24

I got mine with a bow. It can be pretty difficult at times. The lake shouldn't be as bad, I was on the Satilla river and the gators kept using the current to there advantage. When spotlighting them, you wanna "halo" them which is keeping them in the light, but not directly in it. Are you going DIY or unguided

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I know several folks who`ve arrowed one first. The trick is to hunt gators that haven`t been pressured.

b rad

I haven't, but my dentist did shoot a large 13' gator last year in northern Camden County. He said he hooked the gator with a whole chicken on a barbed hook with a wire leader thrown out to the edge of a creek channel against the marsh grass. He had a bow shot of 30 feet and waited until the big gator quit thrashing to take his shot.

might want to delete this to not incriminate your dentist because its not legal to use bait in Georgia
did he kill this gator on Satilla ive heard this story before

bowbuck

I have killed two with a crossbow. It is a close range game, 8-10 yards give or take. The key is being able to maneuver the boat close enough without them going down. Which is a 2 man job.

Dep6

Snagged mine with treble hook. Like someone said getting close for a bow/crossbow can be tricky as all git out!!

gsfowler

The Doc gave me 5 lbs of very tasty tail (I cubed, battered and fried it) as proof of his William Tell like talents!

Georgia DNR says legal weapons include, "Hand-held ropes or snares, snatch hooks, harpoons, gigs, or arrows with restraining line attached. Lawfully restrained alligators may be killed with any caliber handgun or bangstick." But my dentist claimed that the local DNR guy told him he had to first hook or restrain the gator before he could shoot it with an arrow. My guess is that the "rules" are a little flexible and you had best check with local authorities.

I do know, from sitting quietly in creek side blinds near the coast, that larger alligators often have rather dependable routines moving between their own ambush hunting sites. When traveling, the gators move rapidly at the surface and pay little attention to anything not in the water or at water's edge. I saw three different 8' to 12' gators swim within 10 feet of me just last winter. I am guessing that even though the critters are very territorial, they are less attentive to what is on land beyond their reach, and tend to ignore that other gators swim the same waters as long as they are never in close proximity.

This isn't a legal method taking an alligator in Georgia. You cannot use bait to attract or harvest an alligator.

ben300win

I killed an 11-4 my first time and about an 8 footer the second time with my bow. Hunted with Michael Evans of letshunt.net

Ihunt

That’s all my family and friends have ever used. Never have tried the snatch hook.

rapid fire

I do it with bow and arrow or crossbow. I have both. I always hit them with a harpoon and a heavy rope as soon as possible. They're about 85% yours once you have the harpoon in them.

jerry russell

Snagging is legal but we don’t do it. Nothing against those that do it but we just stick with a bow and arrow only for the sport and challenge. We never have an issue with killing gators.

Farm Club

I snagged a 6 footer in Dodge county a couple years ago. It did not realize it was hooked until it got about 20 yds from the boat , talk about a fight we used 90 lb spider wire got the gator to the boat and deciced to let it go. I was thinking how in the world am I going to get this big treble hook out of this gator , I gave it some slack and it fell out. Some tough hides on those gators. It was a great fight and easy release.

onemilmhz

Crossbow first, harpoon second, then .357 to the dome.

Attachments

• IMG955275.jpg
    IMG955275.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 25

Larry Miller

We got an 8’6” 2 hours into season at Seminole. Lots of them out in the open.
30’ shot with gator getter on crossbow.
Shot him in the head after he tried to come in the boat. Left some nice scratches and bite marks on the Excel ?
Two for Two. Hope to get picked next year
Nothing like it

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
When we used to go we'd snag em.
We hunted the Savannah river when we got gator tags. We'd have bows on board but couldn't get close enough to gators for arrows with strings.
Surf fishin rods with 80lb braid and steel leader with 8/0 trebbel hooks would snag em.