Who has land the turkeys migrate from or to...

Mark K

Banned
This popped in my mind reading some of the other threads.
I have a 200ac tract that is slap overrun with turkeys during the winter. It’s nothing to see anywhere from 20-40 at a time. Come about the first week of March they disappear. Literally disappear. No tracks, no gobbles, no nothing, lol.
On the other hand, I’m trapping a property that I can’t find a turkey track on the place, but I’ve been told, come about March and the place has turkeys everywhere. Said it’s not uncommon to hear 7-8 gobblers a morning out there.

Wayne D Davis

One of my reg. WMA's I hardly ever seen turkey until this past deer season. Another WMA close to the other I rarely see any birds until turkey season. I believe they are allot like deer with seasonal ranges.

turkeykirk

IMO if you’ve got a place with good nesting habitat in the Spring you’ll have turkeys. If the hens want to be there the gobblers won’t be far behind.

six

Any fields, power lines, gas lines or fresh clear-cuts close to the property they disappear from?

little rascal

I have a 200ac tract that is slap overrun with turkeys during the winter. It’s nothing to see anywhere from 20-40 at a time. Come about the first week of March they disappear. Literally disappear. No tracks, no gobbles, no nothing, lol.
I had land like that, there were groups with 20-30 during deer season, come spring they disappear? Was told that I was being out baited from the adjacent properties. I didn't bait, had a feeder for deer that was used before deer season opened and was backed up to it with a four wheeler one time before season, looked out there in the bottoms and there was about 30 standing there watching, waiting for me to get done!

Oh yeah and it sucks have rights to land that's all older woods l. The surrounding land has pasture pine and hardwood stands with plenty nesting so as I drive long dead end gravel road in I watch them strutting seeing 6 to 8 in 3 different areas to tease me. Sometimes get lucky if have late spring and one may hang around but so many hens they never return once leaving still with hens when season goes out

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I have several,
Every fall and winter they are there. Guys deer hunting see them all the time. Come spring they mostly move next door to the open fields. I can still hear them but until the hens go on the nest its futile.

I do have one spot I hunt on Core land. Thier there during the fall and winter eating water oak acorns. Come spring they move so far I don't even hear a gobble.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I have a 200ac piece of property that until I started planting chufa 4 years ago I hardly ever seen a turkey until spring, now I see a few during winter , almost all gobblers, but for the past 20 years they are there come spring time , 3 of us killed 5 mature gobblers on it last season and at least 2 or 3 every season

Core Lokt

Barely see a turkey on 500ac during deer season but came March they show up. This is the first season hunting it after being clear cut... Not sure how it will be now.

Turkeytider

I could be wrong, but it's my impression that turkeys move on and off of properties all the time, regardless. I've seen them doing so where I hunt. They cross roads, streams, fly up over fences that border properties all the time.

deast1988

I agree, some places holds piles of birds during the fall that move off during the spring. An vice versa.