Who remembers AMC?

Oldstick

And who can forget when Chrysler and Mitsubishi teamed up. Nothing like foreign parts under a domestic name plate.

Or domestic parts under a foreign name. Like the Mitsubishi Raider truck and I think the Eclipse as well. I know the 99 Eclipse was a piece of "work" because my daughter had one in high school. Less than ten years old and I had to sell it for junk because it literally started falling apart except for the motor.

NOYDB

BANNED
I'm not old enough. But anyone remember rumble seats? Or a safety precaution to start the motor on a model T?

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Yep...here was one, when properly driven, could ruin your day if you were driving any of an assortment of the "big three" big block cars against it.
594761-870-0.jpg

1969 AMC Hurst SC/Rambler

I also remember as a kid, hearing, "war stories" of Alabama State Troopers running some specially equipped 1971 AMC Javelin 401 V-8 (2-Door) pursuit cars. Certainly intimidating looking if nothing else. Spoiler, factory chrome dual exhaust, Goodyear raised white letter tires, factory road wheels. Certainly not the typical trooper sedan with dog dish hubcaps, 4-doors, and no chrome trim.
"You in a heap o' trouble boy...".
javcop1b.jpg

Ok, to be accurate, a slight derail:

Reactions: Dub

Jack Ryan

I'm not old enough. But anyone remember rumble seats? Or a safety precaution to start the motor on a model T?
Rumble seat, sure.

My kids rode in the rumble seat. My mom and aunt were crazy about riding in it.

I had a '30 Model A coupe.

Artfuldodger

AMX with a rumble seat;

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Artfuldodger

Old Mustang station wagon;

Artfuldodger

Remember these two Chrysler engines? The slant six and the 300F;

Attachments

• slant six.jpg
    slant six.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 1960Chrysler300F_05_700.jpg
    1960Chrysler300F_05_700.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 4

Artfuldodger

What about some unusual things like the old Buicks that you didn't turn the key to crank them? They had a starter pushbutton under the gas pedal.
Studebaker put their starter pushbutton under the clutch pedal. Light dimmer switches were on the floor as well but that was pretty common.

We had a 1956 Cadillac with an electric dimmer for the lights. The gas cap was under a taillight as it was on the 56 Chevy Belair. The filling station guys had trouble finding it sometimes. Some Chryslers that pushbutton transmission controls. Some seventies Oldsmobiles had swivel bucket seats.

Here is the gas cap on 56 Chevy Belair;

Attachments

• 56 chevy.jpg
    56 chevy.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 3

Capt Quirk

Old Mustang station wagon;

I have never even heard of a Mustang wagon, pretty cool indeed! I do remember the Pinto and Vega wagons, and there was a dancer who had a Corvette custom wagon that was pretty cool.

I really like the old amcs, the AMX and the Javelin, had a buddy that had a Faberge AMX. Nice interior. But, I really got a thing for Gremlins, and I don't know why.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I used to have a '67 International Scout-the old style that looked like a cross between a Jeep and the original Ford Bronco. That was a tough rig, you couldn't stop it offroad even though it had a slant-head four cylinder engine.

One of my uncles used to have a Studebaker pickup truck.

The old Willys Jeeps were great hunting rigs, too.

Argent11

AMC? The walking dead network? Just kidding, I knew what you were talking about. I still have one of their jeeps with the 304 in it.
That was a lot of motor for a CJ5, it will almost pop a wheelie.

Patriot44

Banned
I used to have a '67 International Scout-the old style that looked like a cross between a Jeep and the original Ford Bronco. That was a tough rig, you couldn't stop it offroad even though it had a slant-head four cylinder engine.

One of my uncles used to have a Studebaker pickup truck.

The old Willys Jeeps were great hunting rigs, too.
I know exactly the scout that you are talking about. It was smaller than the 70’s era and once heard PawPaw say, “at Scout ‘ll climb a tree”. In southen WV, Scouts were a commodity.

Was it green?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I used a 1945 Willys Jeep as a hunting rig for a couple of years. Those things would go near about anywhere. A bear hunter in Crossnore North Carolina ended up with it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I know exactly the scout that you are talking about. It was smaller than the 70’s era and once heard PawPaw say, “at Scout ‘ll climb a tree”. In southen WV, Scouts were a commodity.

Was it green?
Yep, dark green. :) That was my coon hunting and bear hunting rig for years. It would get you into places you were about afraid to come back out of.