Who remembers AMC?

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I had 2 scout II's a few years ago. Bought them as projects and had a guy buy both of them from me.

Artfuldodger

I used to have a '67 International Scout-the old style that looked like a cross between a Jeep and the original Ford Bronco. That was a tough rig, you couldn't stop it offroad even though it had a slant-head four cylinder engine.

One of my uncles used to have a Studebaker pickup truck.

The old Willys Jeeps were great hunting rigs, too.

At some point International started putting AMC straight 6's and v-8's in the Scouts. The AMC straight 6 has an interesting history starting back with the Nash Ramblers design.
Chrysler kept the 4.0L in some Jeeps when they took over the Jeep. It was in the Jeep Cherokee XJ until 2001 I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_straight-6_engine

Patriot44

Banned
Yep, dark green. :) That was my coon hunting and bear hunting rig for years. It would get you into places you were about afraid to come back out of.
The one that I reference had a dog box residing in the bed too. I only ever went coon hunting a few times in WV, but by god you needed a scout to get you to where the tree was and even then you had better pack a spare battery.

Artfuldodger

The AMC Eagle was popular because of it's all wheel drive. Chrysler kept the Eagle name.
The Eagle Talon TSi AWD Turbo was suppose to be the best of three DSM's to include the Plymouth Laser and the Mitsubishi Eclipse.
By that point it time though the Eagle was a Chrysler.

Remember the AMC Matador? It looks like a Pacer from the front.

Attachments

• matador.jpg
    matador.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 6

NOYDB

BANNED
Of all the members and visitors here, not a one could remember the Taurus from it's roll out. Some cars are remembered for decades some are forgotten in advance.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The one that I reference had a dog box residing in the bed too. I only ever went coon hunting a few times in WV, but by god you needed a scout to get you to where the tree was and even then you had better pack a spare battery.
Yep, dog box in mine, too. Mine looked like this:

00000_dkCkr8EYgZ8_600x4501.jpg

carver

Guy near my cabin has quite a few old International scouts lined up next to his house (I'll try and get some pictures)in varies stages of rot,would love to see them restored

normaldave

GON Weatherman
So I'm searching Craigslist for Montero's from time to time. (Can't really say why, I already have two in the family and one parts truck...).
Ironically, this pops up under my usual search "montero" search keywords:
00202_14x4Av6UQLn_600x450.jpg

1972 International Travelall

LTZ25

WE had a Travelall like yours back in the day , I took it on my first deer hunting trip to Cedar Creek WMA and slept in the back , also killed the first deer I ever saw in the woods that day a nice 9 point . I'm thinking around 1974 . I remember the I H would give you a Scout if you bought a large piece of equipment from them .

someguyintraffic

Only AMC that matters in my opinion. 72 AMC Javelin built by the Ring Bros. 1100hp.

Jay Lenos Garage does entire episode on it

carver

So...this guy near my cabin has a scout collecting problem
0919181242[583].jpg0919181242a[558].jpg

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
If I had enough money, like Leno, and could dedicate a warehouse to my old car collection. I would.

Right next to my Studebakers.
I know where one, IF they had the funds, could lay their hands on THE pre production "Golden Hawk". They've also got a "greenish white" (as in never painted) pre production Vette. That plus many more, in a little old lady's garage that is as camo'd as can be.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Only AMC that matters in my opinion. 72 AMC Javelin built by the Ring Bros. 1100hp.

Jay Lenos Garage does entire episode on it
First girl I "really" dated had a javelin, biggest fight we got into was whether to drive my '69 Z 28 or her car on dates. Mine was faster, but her's had a MUCH better back seat.

someguyintraffic

I know where one, IF they had the funds, could lay their hands on THE pre production "Golden Hawk". They've also got a "greenish white" (as in never painted) pre production Vette. That plus many more, in a little old lady's garage that is as camo'd as can be.
Shed have a nice large bank acct if she found the right car guy buyers.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Shed have a nice large bank acct if she found the right car guy buyers.
She's got one, that's the problem. Her husband left her the cars, a hefty bank account, and a HUGE insurance policy. She wouldn't part with those cars for Bill Gates' money.

klwehunt

My Dads cousin had a AMC dealership in Blue Ridge when I was a teenager and we always had AMC cars.He had Gremlins and Pacers,74 Javelin,mom had a Rebel and a Matador.I had 2 AMX's 69 and 70,all were good cars.Wish I still had them.

Lukikus2

I saved up for a jeep until I got my drivers license. Two years after amc and jeep merged. Chrysler. Only 100,000 mile vehicles if you were lucky.

Got me a chevy