Who remembers AMC?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I owned a 1970 AMX for a while, just before my first tour in Germany. One of the "real" AMX two seaters, just the thing for the father of a two year old and a new born...lol. Less than 25,000 of the two seaters were made from '68-'70 and they all had a little placard on the dash with the number it was. My AMX was a 390 4sp, copper colored with a black hockey stick stripe. A very fast car at least on a par with my 1969 RR 383 with air grabber option.

Artfuldodger

I owned a 1970 AMX for a while, just before my first tour in Germany. One of the "real" AMX two seaters, just the thing for the father of a two year old and a new born...lol. Less than 25,000 of the two seaters were made from '68-'70 and they all had a little placard on the dash with the number it was. My AMX was a 390 4sp, copper colored with a black hockey stick stripe. A very fast car at least on a par with my 1969 RR 383 with air grabber option.

There was one at the Augusta Coffee and Cars last year. He said he is usually the only AMC at car shows. I can't remember what year his is.
I think the 1970 was the best looking year. His was red.

There was one at the Augusta Coffee and Cars last year. He said he is usually the only AMC at car shows. I can't remember what year his is.
I think the 1970 was the best looking year. His was red.

Basic design and profile were the same all 3 years; 68, 69 & 70. The front grill had some diffeences and the older cars had a "Go" package with twin stripes down the hood. For those who might think the Javilen AMX was the same, I think there is 10" difference in wheelbase, giving the JaviLen a back seat.

Of course, I'm prejudiced, but the two seater AMX was a simply timeless, gorgeous design. AMC did serious business with it and Mark Donohue before he perished in a crash.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
remember the 74 Hornet in the James Bond Movie... the Man With the Golden Gun...jumping that broken bridge?

Lukikus2

remember the 74 Hornet in the James Bond Movie... the Man With the Golden Gun...jumping that broken bridge?

A friend of mine had one. The best burnouts it would do is 30 mph in drive and slam it in reverse and nail the gas. Got lots of attention.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
And who can forget when Chrysler and Mitsubishi teamed up. Nothing like foreign parts under a domestic name plate.

That was Ford

Yep. I had a Ford Ranger once that had Japanese writing all over every part on it.

I think I'll have to go with NOYDB on this one... I've never seen Ford build anything with Mitsubishi, The Ranger was a Mazda partnership, along with lots of other re-badges of other Ford/Mazda projects.
Ford and Mazda Separate

Mitsubishi mostly danced with Chrysler, (yes, I'm a recovering lifelong Chrysler gear-head...).
Mitsubishi and Chrysler Partnerships

It's hard to tell these days, so many companies just re-badge somebody else's product.

Now, If they could just get one of these over here, built here or imported, I'd be "in" for a nice used one in the future.

The Mitsubishi L200 Triton
~ 6,400 LB GVWR
~ 2,315 LB payload (net)
~ 7,700 LB trailer weight rating
~ 13,000 LB GCVWR
-5 passenger seating
42 MPG Highway (manual trans)
4-cylinder DiD Diesel
181 HP @ 3,500
317 ft/lbs torque @ 2,500
5-speed Aisin select trac II AWD/4WD
Locking center differential
Locking rear differential, electronic

Granted, this is a little import truck, but it is pretty impressive for what it is, But no, we still have the "Chicken Tax" from the 60s, and EPA/Safety standards that when studied, kinda make me scratch my head after all the advancements in technology.

Wait! here's some AMC content...

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think I'll have to go with NOYDB on this one... I've never seen Ford build anything with Mitsubishi, The Ranger was a Mazda partnership, along with lots of other re-badges of other Ford/Mazda projects.
Ford and Mazda Separate

Mitsubishi mostly danced with Chrysler, (yes, I'm a recovering lifelong Chrysler gear-head...).
Mitsubishi and Chrysler Partnerships

It's hard to tell these days, so many companies just re-badge somebody else's product.

Now, If they could just get one of these over here, built here or imported, I'd be "in" for a nice used one in the future.

The Mitsubishi L200 Triton
~ 6,400 LB GVWR
~ 2,315 LB payload (net)
~ 7,700 LB trailer weight rating
~ 13,000 LB GCVWR
-5 passenger seating
42 MPG Highway (manual trans)
4-cylinder DiD Diesel
181 HP @ 3,500
317 ft/lbs torque @ 2,500
5-speed Aisin select trac II AWD/4WD
Locking center differential
Locking rear differential, electronic

Granted, this is a little import truck, but it is pretty impressive for what it is, But no, we still have the "Chicken Tax" from the 60s, and EPA/Safety standards that when studied, kinda make me scratch my head after all the advancements in technology.

Wait! here's some AMC content...
Yes, Ford had Mazda as a partner. Chysler was the one teamed up with Mitsubishi. For awhile, Ford Rangers and the Mazda pickups were almost identical.
I can't remember who Chevy teamed up with offhand.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Chicken Tax Explained:
I'd prefer buying American, if it was really ALL American, and had equal performance and reliability. :flag::banginghe I'd guess the Colorado diesel gets pretty close.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Yes, Ford had Mazda as a partner. Chysler was the one teamed up with Mitsubishi. For awhile, Ford Rangers and the Mazda pickups were almost identical.
I can't remember who Chevy teamed up with offhand.

Izusu

Artfuldodger

We had an English Ford in the Sixties. The ones from the 40's and early 50's made neat little street rods and dragsters.

Attachments

• 1960 English Ford Anglia.JPG
    1960 English Ford Anglia.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 1951-english ford street rod.jpg
    1951-english ford street rod.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 2

Sargent

The Gremlin's doors were two different lengths. I think the passenger door was 2" shorter than the driver's door.

This was by design in order to help people get into the back seat.