Who remembers NASCAR?

In 1969, restrictor plates were placed on the Ford 427 and the Chrysler 426 hemis. The Ford opening was 1 1/2 and the Hemi was 1 1/4, which gave the Ford a total of 1' more opening. There were none on the Chevy's.

NASCAR finally banned the Hemi and the SOHC Fords so Shivey could keep up. Ain't a put down of Shiveys, just the truth. Bill France wouldn't let them run the Hemi or 427 SOHC Ford, so a lot of round track boys took off a year and went drag racing

Miguel Cervantes

GON Severe Weatherman
You want to fix NASCAR?

Make them take cars off of the show room floor that are standard V8's from the factory, keep the original body only making adjustments for aerodynamics and safety (removing glass and putting plexi in, roll cage etc) and engine enhancements just like the sport was intended to be.

Thread starter #30
The logo is responsible for the speed. But it was the noise that filled racetrack seats.

Thread starter #31
I was a gymkhana kinda driver.

Milkman

Retired Moderator
Junior Johnson, Buck Petty, Fireball Roberts, and my kinfolks, the Bakers. We listened to the races on the radio.
Yep I recall those names. Anyone remember GC Spencer? He was from Jonesboro. Raced a long time and never a win. I was at AMS when they had a retirement celebration for him.

My favorites in the early 70s were Cale Yarborough and the silver fox David Pearson

Nascars main sponsor back then is taboo today. WINSTON CUP RACING !!!

Yep I recall those names. Anyone remember GC Spencer? He was from Jonesboro. Raced a long time and never a win. I was at AMS when they had a retirement celebration for him.

My favorites in the early 70s were Cale Yarborough and the silver fox David Pearson

Nascars main sponsor back then is taboo today. WINSTON CUP RACING !!!
GC ran #49 for years. He never won a race but did have around 50 top 5 finishes, mainly as an independent. He ran a few races for Ray Fox back in the 60's as a teammate to Junior Johnson.