Who remembers NASCAR?

NOYDB

BANNED
They used to have something they called the "Hat Dance". After the race drivers would pose for pictures. But the wanted to include all their sponsors that contributed money. So they would take the pictures with one hat and when done switch to the next hat. Done as often as they had sponsors. Because as everyone knows the logo on the hat they're wearing makes the car go faster

turkeykirk

Was that when they ran race cars not the cookie cutter cars they do now.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Junior Johnson, Buck Petty, Fireball Roberts, and my kinfolks, the Bakers. We listened to the races on the radio.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Was this before they started racing Toyota's and letting women drivers in?

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Junior Johnson, Buck Petty, Fireball Roberts, and my kinfolks, the Bakers. We listened to the races on the radio.

Them was the good ‘ol days!

Are you talkin about Elzie Wylie Baker, aka Buddy? :cheers:

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Still holds the record for the fastest speed. 212mph at dega and 210 at Daytona. Hes the reason they invented the restrictor plate so everyone else had a chance.

Restrictor plates were around long before Bill Elliot. The were first utilized in an attempt to slow the 426 hemi down, so as the Fords and shivys could stay within 10mph of them.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Restrictor plates were around long before Bill Elliot. The were first utilized in an attempt to slow the 426 hemi down, so as the Fords and shivys could stay within 10mph of them.
Bodine used the restrictor plate to inject Nitrus into his carb. He got caught too.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I hate restrictor plate racing. Most boring thing in the world. If they want to slow the cars down, make them run an 11 or 12 inch wide tire, rather than those 16 to 18 inch wide rubbers. It would make the drivers lift in the corners, and put the racing back into the hands of the drivers and crew chiefs that could make a car handle. No more of this mash the pedal to the floor and try to hang onto the lead guys back bumper until the last 2 laps.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I was at the track watching restrictor plates on hemi's well before that. It was mainly to keep the GM cars competitive, all though it was never reported that way.
Lol