Who remembers NASCAR?

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
In 1969, restrictor plates were placed on the Ford 427 and the Chrysler 426 hemis. The Ford opening was 1 1/2 and the Hemi was 1 1/4, which gave the Ford a total of 1' more opening. There were none on the Chevy's.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
NASCAR finally banned the Hemi and the SOHC Fords so Shivey could keep up. Ain't a put down of Shiveys, just the truth. Bill France wouldn't let them run the Hemi or 427 SOHC Ford, so a lot of round track boys took off a year and went drag racing

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm not saying they didn't have the technology. I'm saying That the timing of Nascar going to the restrictor plate was due to the speed of Elliott as well as Allisons crash.

They did not just Have the Technology, they used it

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
You want to fix NASCAR?

Make them take cars off of the show room floor that are standard V8's from the factory, keep the original body only making adjustments for aerodynamics and safety (removing glass and putting plexi in, roll cage etc) and engine enhancements just like the sport was intended to be.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
And quit changing rules, every other week. While they are at it, they can junk the chase, and the lucky Dawg.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Junior Johnson, Buck Petty, Fireball Roberts, and my kinfolks, the Bakers. We listened to the races on the radio.

Yep I recall those names. Anyone remember GC Spencer? He was from Jonesboro. Raced a long time and never a win. I was at AMS when they had a retirement celebration for him.

My favorites in the early 70s were Cale Yarborough and the silver fox David Pearson

Nascars main sponsor back then is taboo today. WINSTON CUP RACING !!!

GoldDot40

I think Danica is a pretty lousy driver,,,,
Fixed.

I refer NASCAR as SAMECAR. A seat occupant barely even needs "talent" anymore to operate one of those. Back in the day, they actually had to DRIVE them.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yep I recall those names. Anyone remember GC Spencer? He was from Jonesboro. Raced a long time and never a win. I was at AMS when they had a retirement celebration for him.

My favorites in the early 70s were Cale Yarborough and the silver fox David Pearson

Nascars main sponsor back then is taboo today. WINSTON CUP RACING !!!

GC ran #49 for years. He never won a race but did have around 50 top 5 finishes, mainly as an independent. He ran a few races for Ray Fox back in the 60's as a teammate to Junior Johnson.