Whopper Plopper vs Choppo

James12

I guess there’s no copywrite infringement, but they’re close!

Anyone used both, and have thoughts?

Mickey Flatshoals

I always have a rod with a top water lure ready to go in the kayak. For the past few years the Whopper Plopper has been my go to lure. I recently tried a Choppo and I couldn’t tell the difference between the two and for $5 less I’ll be buying more. I’m not sure how copyright infringement works but they look like the same lure. Although, I do remember growing up and the old timers on the lakes in Canada would throw a lure called a Mudpuppy for pike that looked like the original plopper.

GeorgiaBob

Academy has the River2Sea Whopper Chopper in 75. 90, 110, and 130 on sale for $9.99. I think that is the same price as everyone else sells the Choppo.

Mickey Flatshoals

I mostly use the 110 in bone and bluegill. My Choppo is 120 in frog colors. The plopper style lures get massive hits but anything on the surface ruins the retrieve. My new favorite top water this year is the Walmart booyah toad runner. It works in cover and creates major havoc on the water. I got it as a stocking stuffer and it’s been pure money this spring.

JakkBauer

I mostly use the 110 in bone and bluegill. My Choppo is 120 in frog colors. The plopper style lures get massive hits but anything on the surface ruins the retrieve. My new favorite top water this year is the Walmart booyah toad runner. It works in cover and creates major havoc on the water. I got it as a stocking stuffer and it’s been pure money this spring.
I also like the toadrunner although I dont often fish in places with heavy cover so I have not thrown them much. It is basically a weedless plopper with a tail you can adjust to your liking. I wish I had more pads or really any kind of cover to fish with these things.

The one thing about the toadrunner I would say is that you are going to want a slightly different rod when going for the hookset with this bait than you would with a plopper or choppo. Something to bury those two single frog hooks in with.