Whopper Plopper

JohnK

My fishing skills are pretty limited but my tackle still grows at leaps and bounds. I'm trying to not buy more stuff I don't use and I don't think I'd fish them if I had "em. In those situations I'd be throwing my fluke, nose hooked thru a clp spring. I know they'll bite that thing so why fool around experimenting?

doomtrpr_z71

I've caught fish on them but I don't see where they're worth the money of a megabass lure. The academy knock off for $5 works just as well. I don't get the craze, I think a buzzbait works better as a moving bait and I prefer a popper for a slower presentation.

JohnK

What knock offs are ya'll saying work? I see a Double Plopper for $7 at Academy and I know there is something called an el chopo.....

across the river

What knock offs are ya'll saying work? I see a Double Plopper for $7 at Academy and I know there is something called an el chopo.....

Go to Amazon and buy some off of there. You can get singles for less than 5 bucks and if you buy a bulk pack you can get them for less than that a piece.

Dialer

Threw the whopper plopper again today for 3 hours in all areas, nothing...incoming cold front?

bigkoiboy

While a plopper is definitely a bait that catches big fish, you have to look at it as a tool. Sometimes the plopper or topwater in general will not be the best option and knowing when to put it down it just as important as knowing when to throw it. If there was an incoming cold front as you said I would probably be throwing something more subtle for finicky fish like a shaky head or small paddle tail. The topwater bite is probably going to slow down in the next couple weeks as surface temps drop and if I were set on topwater I'd be throwing a popper tight to cover and looking for actively feeding fish.

brdyhll

Caught one on a whopper plopped last weekend that was barely longer than the lure. I thought they didn’t work also till I kept trying and started getting bit in broad daylight. Had a blast with the 2 I took

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Whopper Plopper in the color “I know it” works well!

I personally like the Teckel Frog a lot better but it really depends on the cover you are fishing.