Who's buildin bows?

Bowyer29

Right now, I'm builiding a D/R osage with hickory back for my brother in NY. I need to finish it so I can build one for myself to hunt with. Let's see if anyone responds!

Timberman

My brother is much further advanced than me and builds many an osage bow. He pals around with Dean Torges and they shoot all manner of things with their homebuilt rigs, many which are very beautiful.

I've Dean's "Hunting The Osage Bow". He is much further along than me as a bowyer....let's just say a know nothing vs the master. I have a very nice persimmon bolt I got during the last ice storm. I've yet to bust it into staves and season it. Everyone preaches bois d arc or yew for bow wood but I hear of decent persimmon bows being made. I'm lookin too just try the craft and fashion something that will throw an arrow downrange with reasonable speed....

If you have any tips I'm listening.... :pop:

Bowyer29

Most of the 15 or so bows I have built so far have been hickory selfbows. Lots of fun and relatively easy to make. i get really into building during the winter and slack off some in the summer. Best thing I can say from my limited experience is that getting the moisture content down, especially in the white woods, is extremely important. Check out The Bowyers Bible 1,2,3 and Murray Gaskins videos if you can!

Nick

Timberman

Bowyer29 said:
Most of the 15 or so bows I have built so far have been hickory selfbows. Lots of fun and relatively easy to make. i get really into building during the winter and slack off some in the summer. Best thing I can say from my limited experience is that getting the moisture content down, especially in the white woods, is extremely important. Check out The Bowyers Bible 1,2,3 and Murray Gaskins videos if you can!

Nick

Am I wasting my time with persimmon? I cab find something decent in hickory if need be.

bam_bam

i would love to learn to make a bow. i am gonna try this summer i think. show some pictures of yours when you get through. i am a tradition shooter myself anyway. yet to get anything yet though

Bowyer29

Persimmon should work just fine. I have been looking for some myself. For much better info, you can visit the Primitive Archer message board as well!

FVR

I'm building a 58" sinew backed osage flatbow for a good friend. I will prob. be pounding sinew this very day when the kiddy's take a nap.

Moisture is the number one problem on getting selfbows quick and no set. I usually stick a roughed out stave in a heat box for a few days and finish tiller. I will work with hickory but prefer elm and osage.

I use to build 6 or 7 a year but now that we have the kids I'm lucky if I get two. I like the 60" and shorter flat style with or w/o sinew but pref. sinew.

I finish the sinew bows by putting them in a heat box for two days, pulling out, light acetone wipe and then using clear spray paint. 7 coats of spraypaint then 4 coats of wax and nothing is getting through.

FVR

Al33

OK you bowyers........

I wanna see some pic's!:D

I am very interested in what you are doing, so please do a little show and tell.;)

Al

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Me too! Especially that sinew backed bow.

I have been very interested in long bows for some time now can someone tell me where to look for some I need to talk to someone that will help me make tha right choice

frankwright

nioggins55, There are a big handful of traditional shooters here and any of us would be glad to try to steer you in the right direction.

There is also a wealth of information at www.tradgang.com

A133 Thanks for the message I started out with a recurve many years ago then went to a compound and that is what I have been with ever sense I dont know how to figure to fit this type of bow to a person I am 5-9 small to medium frame and shoot left handed

Al33

nloggins,

I shoot lefty as well. If you are ever up my way and want to try a few out let me know.

Al

Bowyer29

D/r

I got the bow to bend enough today to start the (for me) long process of tillering. I ruined the first...let's just say several by shooting for 50 lbs and getting 20. I will try to post a pictue when complete but I swear if I can hear the laughter through the computer...Looks like I will be able to make myself that osage/hickory longbow this year after all!

bam_bam

hey frank is there alot of traditional shooter on woodys? i am one myself

CallMaker

I build a couple a year. Osage, yew and vine maple mostly. Some bamboo backed, some self bows. Here is an osage bow I made for a trip to Arizona to hunt javelina. Have not been drawn the last two years so it has yet to see Arizona.

Attachments

• PigBow1.JPG
    PigBow1.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 182
  • PigBowHandle2.JPG
    PigBowHandle2.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 187
  • PigBowTip1.JPG
    PigBowTip1.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 207