Who's hunting with an "interesting" caliber this season?

Alan in GA

25-20 Win

I guess I could use my wifes' 25-20 Remington pump.but to be legal I'd have to plug the mag to 5 rounds.

I've got a Savage 23B (bolt rifle) in 25-20 Win. Accurate, and I would use it for under 75 yard heart lung shots I guess. A little under powered I'm thinking, even though I've used 22 Hornet successfully for a couple of does at 35 yard broadside shots.

GAHUNTER60

I bought a Japanese model 99 sporterized to .300 savage that is extremely accurate and killed a hog with it, but I hate the safety.

Now THAT is an unusual rifle/caliber combo!

I looked it up online, and, yes, rechambering the 7.7 Jap to .300 savage is the second most common conversion of the Arisaka Type 99 (the first being rechambering to .30-'06). To do so, however, the barrel had to be set back because the Japanese round is longer than .300 Savage.

I'm surprised that you say it's very accurate, because, unless they rebarreled it, you are pushing a .308 bullet down a .311 barrel. Some of the folks who own the .30-'06 rechambered Type 99s report their groups look like 00 buckshot groups at 50 yards (.30-'06 also being .308).

But, then again, I know folks who hand load .308 bullets in 7.62R for their Russian Moisin-Nagant rifles (also a .311 bore) with no accuracy problems.

I guess it's a roll of the dice!

hunterofopportunity

I think its been rebarreled it has a new stock and is number 800 of 1,000,000. It had a target taped to the stock with hand load info with 4 shots touching at 100 yds. I can't do that with factory loads but its less than 1.5 inches with my old eyes

leoparddog

I'm rolling out tomorrow with my 338-06 built on a Turk Mauser action with a medium weight barrel and a B&C green spider web stock

lastofthebreed

6.5 Rem Mag in M673. Remington only made the M673 for a couple of years. I love the laminated stock.

I got one of those, too. I get a lot of sideways looks when I pull it out of the case at the gun club.

I have taken several deer and hogs with mine, no complaints.

Carp

Picked up a Marlin 444 at the pawn shop last week. It was parkerized. I sanded and refinished the stocks to dull them up. Got a Weaver K-4 scope on order.

GAHUNTER60

Picked up a Marlin 444 at the pawn shop last week. It was parkerized. I sanded and refinished the stocks to dull them up. Got a Weaver K-4 scope on order.

The 444 Marlin is a real thumper, especially with the 265-grain Hornady Super Performance load. I know very little about the Leverevolution load, but I do know that you should stay away for the Remington 240-grain Core Lokt, as the bullet was never designed for the velocity created by the .444. (The bullet is the same bullet used in their .44 Magnum loads at 600 fps less than 444).

Mattval

Remington model 81 in 300 Savage!!

pdsniper

I hunt once in a while with an original WW II German sniper rifle chambered in 8mm

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 41

GAHUNTER60

I hunt once in a while with an original WW II German sniper rifle chambered in 8mm

That is interesting! Is it a WWII bring back? What does the scope reticle look like (meaning is it user friendly?).

Very interesting scope mounting system, is there a ring completely around the bell end of the scope? How do you change windage and elevation settings?

(BTW, the more questions I ask, the more interested I am in the rifle :D)

Last edited:

Rabun

.260 and .35 remington...in a model seven and '72 marlin 336c (Dad's gun). Nothing too interesting.