Why are you opposed to baiting?

PWalls

I would agree with that, yes. Most people will only harvest what they need. I am sure there are hunters that will kill more than that just because they can. There are also going to be hunters that kill less than they need as well maybe because they had a bad season or something. Still others will kill a limit to help feed several families and skew the tallies that way as well.

CPiper

This buck was killed over a corn pile during day light hours
CC1.jpg

CC2.jpg

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Baiting

PWalls said:
Personally 2 deer per year would not be enough for my family.

Pardon me for making this comment "off topic", but it always bothers me when someone openly, before God and everybody, admits that he is a meat hunter on a Forum that is committed and dedicated to sport hunting.

Meathunting does go hand in hand with hunting over corn however. I say this because the concept is totally lacking in ethics and sportsmanship. Hunting over bait is an open admission that the person prefers to take the easy road to taking game.

I prefer to be one who is identified with scouting and matching wits in a manner that allows game a reasonable chance of excaping to be hunted another day. Fairness shall always be a criteria of importance to me. My Father instilled this instinct in me.

Vernon

Madsnooker

Pardon me for making this comment "off topic", but it always bothers me when someone openly, before God and everybody, admits that he is a meat hunter on a Forum that is committed and dedicated to sport hunting.

Meathunting does go hand in hand with hunting over corn however. I say this because the concept is totally lacking in ethics and sportsmanship.

Vernon, Are you saying that someone that hunts only for the meat (shooting a nice fat doe for the table) is unethical? I'm sure I have misunderstood you. :huh:

PWalls

Vernon Holt said:
PWalls said:

Meathunting does go hand in hand with hunting over corn however. I say this because the concept is totally lacking in ethics and sportsmanship. Hunting over bait is an open admission that the person prefers to take the easy road to taking game.

I prefer to be one who is identified with scouting and matching wits in a manner that allows game a reasonable chance of excaping to be hunted another day. Fairness shall always be a criteria of importance to me. My Father instilled this instinct in me.

Vernon

What difference does it make if I admit to being a meat hunter? And by the way, I do. I vastly enjoy the outdoors and the hunt, but if my cooler is not full at the end of the season, then I do not call myself having a successful hunt. Nor do I worship antlers which seems to be a large reason that most "sport" hunters do it for.

Also, how does that automatically make me a baiter?

Are you saying that meat hunters are bad? Please elaborate.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
AShepard,

That is a very telling photo!

If folks can't look at that & understand how that is not good for the deer, they are wearing blinders.

CAL

I thought huntings original purpose was to provide food for ones family.My son-in-law is a meat hunter so to speak.He tries to take at least 5 or 6 to the processor each year.My daughter has become quite talented cooking venison,she really knows how to prepare it too.He kills most of his deer around fields after their crops are gathered.He for one doesn't bait,he says he doesn't have to since the deer are feeding in their fields.He sees more than enough already.I don't think that just because he enjoys deer meat,it makes him a baiter or any less a sportsman.JMHO.....

My own personal opinion of "a baiter" is someone who wants to be relative sure they see a deer.Just because they bait doesn't make them a deer hog!Fact is I feed deer every year and have been for sometime.To date I have not killed a deer in 4 years.I do enjoy looking at them though.

Last edited:

raghorn

Vernon Holt said:
PWalls said:

Vernon
Am I getting some missed signals here? I love venison as does my extended family,some of which don't hunt and depend on me to give it to them.I wasn't aware that this was a trophy hunter only forum, I thought it was affilliated with GON,which to last of my knowlege caters to all sportsman,regardless of whether they hunt for horns or meat.No way would I ever tell anybody I'm only in it for the horns. From what I have seen since I have been visiting this forum you are well respected and I don't mean any disrespect, I'm just confused by your post.At least I hope I'm confused,because some families can consume a lot more than two deer a year. :huh:

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Baiting

I confess that my comments regarding "meathunting" may have been unduly harsh. The comments reflect my own approach, my own philosophy toward hunting. Hunting to me has never been meat driven. I hunt because I am most happy when I am in field or forest matching wits with creatures that are acknowledged to be game, creatures that are desirable to be utilized as food. Many of my most enjoyable hunts have resulted in no game taken.

The very thought or suggestion of hunting primarily for meat is repulsive to me since my own personal motivation runs counter to this.

As a lad, it would please me to no end when my Dad would say, "lets go hunting". That had special meaning to me. I knew that I was in for some excitement, some challenge. Never can I recall him saying to me, "lets go to the woods and get some meat". It was never in his thought to say such a thing, even though the larder may have been running low.

I am in no way opposed to the taking of does, as long as it is Management Driven. Does have been legalized for the purpose of controling total population as well as maintaining proper buck to doe ratio. I belonged to a club that killed two does for every buck killed over a period of 20 years. The effect was devastating. When does are killed contrary to the needs of the given situation, it then becomes unethical.

PWalls: In summary, I do not mean to imply that meathunters are bad (whatever the word implies), but I did mean to state that meathunting as a motivator is contrary to my own ideals as to what hunting is all about. To me, meat is a consequence of hunting, and not the reason for doing so.

No offense to anyone. In keeping with the theme of the thread, let me state that I am opposed to baiting for many reasons, chief of which is that in my opinion, it is meat-hunting in the purest sense.

Vernon

PWalls

Vernon Holt said:
PWalls: In summary, I do not mean to imply that meathunters are bad (whatever the word implies), but I did mean to state that meathunting as a motivator is contrary to my own ideals as to what hunting is all about. To me, meat is a consequence of hunting, and not the reason for doing so.

Fair enough. To each his own. I have some of the similar thoughts about someone who hunts purely for the sport or taking of a buck for antler sake only. I would also like to say that meat is not my only reason for hunting, I would by lying if I didn't admit that it was close to the top of the list. I am not driven by it, but it is one of the motivators for the amount of money and time I spend in the woods. I am sure as I get older that will more than likely change as I have seen that outlook change in my father as he has gotten older.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

ASheperd said:
I understand your eloquent point Mr. Holt. I agree with you.

Let us not forget that those who pursued and most contributed to the near demise of big game populations at the turn of the 19th Century were meat hunters who had no scruples and approached their activity with an anything goes liberal approach. Thankfully, those with conservative values, who placed the resource above all else, and were conservation-minded stopped this madness, set forth the programs that restored big game populations, and put conservation front and center. Thankfully, some of their ancestors in spirit and intent are still around; otherwise we would clearly seek the circle of history.
ah, yes.......the market hunters.................anybody know the record number of Canvasbacks, killed with a single shot from a punt gun???.................and the record for one 24 hour period???................I do......guess away. :)

CPiper

If I put 16 doe deer and 4 buck deer in my freezer last year does that make me a meat hunter, game hog, conservationist, QDMer or a "Brown/Down"er ?????
And if 3 of them bucks were taken to the taxidermist to be mounted for my wall, does that make you change your answer.

Good Points Mr Holt and Mr Sheperd!! Good pic and comments! ;)

bull0ne

Banned
CPiper said:
If I put 16 doe deer and 4 buck deer in my freezer last year does that make me a meat hunter, game hog, conservationist, QDMer or a "Brown/Down"er ?????
QUOTE]

IMHO means you had a good season.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

Thomas Lackey said:
I want to say Coon about 629 birds??

Tommy
birds taken rafted in the Chesapeake bay, at night, by Atley Lankford..............one shot:248........one day:2,216.................

OconeeJim

Frankly My Friends, I don't give a .....

.....dang (ha, ha, gotcha), whether I'm sitting over a pile of corn, a pea patch, a powerline right-of-way, or a white oak acorn or honeysuckle buffet. But, I won't be sitting there illegally, so I guess that determines at least for now, how I react to this argument. Also important to me is the understanding that professional wildlife managers are responsible for recommending how and what we hunt, when and for how long, by what methods and within what parameters, and on...and on. Of course I'm at least savvy enough to know too, that politicians enter into this process, and occasionally the best laid plans of the the professionals are amended. Most important though, is the perception by the general public, of what we do as hunters, despite the science and the management and the politics which frame our sport. What is it "they" say...."if it ....,...., and quacks like a duck..."? Having said so much, to say so little... if killing a deer over corn looks like slobbery to the general population, then we better not do it! Its your children and grandchildren who will pay the price for it, not you.

Augie

The argument makes all hunters look bad to non and anti hunters, would you Ga. folk just vote or decide on this and then shut up about it, please?
As someone who can sit on my feeders and hunt, but I don't for my own reasons, am sick of this argument, it does no good and has produced nothing but animosity between hunters nationwide.
Decide soon whether it's legal or not in your state and move on.
For the sake of all hunters.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Augie,

Baiting bills come up in the House and Senate on an annual basis and have always been defeated.

This year the leadership has decided that they are going to go to extraordinary means to make the "once and for all" decision.

We will have to see how it plays out.

Augie

Thanks Jeff, I look forward to hearing a final decision has been made on the issue.
I'm a Fl. property owner/resident so I probably shouldn't be sticking my nose in Ya'lls business anyway, but I've sure met some nice people here at Woodys, some the our Nations best IMO and I'm glad GON has provided the fourm for me to meet and interact with them.

There is one type of baiting I'm very much against and that's pouring out a pile of corn/feed and then sitting in a treestand 30 yards away.
It not the hunting near it that bothers me, even though I don't, it's the mold and rot that can infect the corn and hence the wildlife.
CowboyRon mentiond this on another thread here, but here in Fl. to hunt in close proximity to a feeder, the feeder must have been maintained and ran constant for a certain amout of months before one can hunt near it.
If Ga. was to allow for the pouring of corn piles to hunt over, I'd think that would be very dangerous to all wildlife in the area.
My main interest in going to Ga. is to fish for some of those freshwater trout you lucky folk have up there, and I'll only bait them up one hook at a time, I promise.