Why can't we catch Bin Laden?

Junebug

After watching Bourne Supremecy (pretty good!) I started thinking; with our intelligence systems/methods, why is this guy Bin Laden so darn hard to nab?

I know, I know, "This ain't Hollywood," but seriously I would think that we have got to have SOME idea where this guy is and be able to get to him. He sends out voice and video tapes, communicates with his generals worldwide, and maybe even continues to plan and carry out current acts of terrorism all over the globe. Still we can't catch him.

Is our US intelligence as solid as we've always heard?

georgiaboy

One problem is that we are great with electronic signal gathering but Bin Laden seems to be mainly operating using human couriers and he is supported by a vast network. Low tech is harder to detect! What we have to rely on is human intelligence gathering (talking to people, undercover operatives, etc.) and that is very difficult because he is protected by his organization.

jeclif

shoot he shaved and moved to kaliforina ::ke: you know free medical and no bad guns may be with some of the stars they are nutty er than most in that place :bounce:

Junebug

Maybe so, but...

...the CIA, FBI, or Dept of Homeland Security could find any one of us and be at our front door in 10 minutes; (Heck someone's prolly even reading this thread). I just find it hard to believe our guys aren't closer to him.

At first we heard, "He's on the run...scared and liable to make a mistake soon." 3+ years later I wonder if he's even concerned anymore with our defense systems and intelligence. I'm sure we'll get him but all I gotta say is his trail must be one COLD track!

Ga-Spur

Back 50 years ago when most everyone use to make moonshine ; everyone in the county knew you did and no one told on you. The Feds were the only ones looking for you because you hadn't paid the tax on it. The Feds knew that you were making moonshine but you had to wait your turn getting caught. They caught enough little folks that eventually they got the big boys ;because they would deal with you. If you are looking at a year in jail , missing planting your cotton , you would be more willing to tell the Feds anything to get your sentence reduced . You sure didn't want to get that letter in the mail with a bus ticket to Atlanta. I think the Feds "CIA" are working on the problem now. It will take a number of years maybe 10 to get Bin Laden.

dbone

Outdoor Cafe Moderator
thats my fear !!!

WishboneW said:
How long did it take them to catch Eric Robert Rudolf? And then, only by accident.

Patience!

5 years thats how long !! And if it hadn't been for his Military fingerfrints , they ( Murphy police ) would have cut him loose the next day with a citation to show up in court , True !!

My biggest fear is that with his Billionaire statis , family and business ties he may be sitting in the last place anyone would look for him ??? Right here in our own backyard !!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
5 years thats how long !! And if it hadn't been for his Military fingerfrints , they ( Murphy police ) would have cut him loose the next day with a citation to show up in court , True !! My biggest fear is that with his Billionaire statis , family and business ties he may be sitting in the last place anyone would look for him ??? Right here in our own backyard !!

EVERYBODY FREEZE!!!!!!!! THE TSUNAMI, EARTHQUAKES, SNOW IN TEXAS ON CHRISTMAS DAY AND NOW THIS!!!!!!!!!! DBONE TYPED WHAT I WAS THINKING!!!!! THE WORLD MAY BE COMING TO AND END!!!!!!!!!

T ::;

FX Jenkins

Actually Georgiaboy and WishboneW make some good points. I've allways said we should pull the CIA out of Afganistan and let a few Georgia boys go hunting for a while...Bin Laden would be hangin on someones wall before the season was over...
But in fact, D2D's right, the agency got him started and their gonna have to shut him down...I believe they'll get it done...Patience and persistence will be our benefactors....

dbone

Outdoor Cafe Moderator
Relax THunter It's all right

I heard a fella the other day on Liddys program that said the last known sighting of Bin Lately was in Iran :eek: in 03

phoneman

Bin Laden

Being in the "Billionaires Club" is the largest factor, and it is obviously true "that membership has it's privileges". His family has contacts all over the world and has very close ties in almost every nook and cranny of the Eastern hemishere--he could be anywhere. My guess is that eventually, he will be found. However, our larger problem is that he has a lot of followers and anyone that is taken out of his network will be quickly replaced by one of the hundreds of thousands that will be willing to step up....
Our only answer is one of three choices: complete obliteration of Al Quida, reach an agreed accord with them, or another hundred year war. IMHO