Why do you use a muzzleloader for deer?

shdw633

Because it is legal to use them in states that have shotgun only seasons. Only one shot versus three but a lot more accurate out to 200 yards in my opinion. I love to shoot them as well, I have four muzzleloaders from a 45 cal Omega to a Remington 700 Ultimate and wish the seasons were longer for them.

trial&error

Because with traditional weapons you take careful aim as you only get the one shot. I usually avoid rifle season when on public land. Too many yahoos willing to send multiple shots at sounds in the woods. Even ones wearing orange vests.

Steve-ALA

In line muzzle loaders is cheating.

Most of the good one's shoot as good
as SOME center fire rifles.

IMO.. Should only be legal during "regular" rifle season.

Old skool TRUE muzzle loaders are a different story
and I can see the sport in that.

100% true

ProAngler

In line muzzle loaders is cheating.

Most of the good one's shoot as good
as SOME center fire rifles.

IMO.. Should only be legal during "regular" rifle season.

Old skool TRUE muzzle loaders are a different story
and I can see the sport in that.

I have always thought this as well. Seems crazy to have a special season for them now that they have such advanced performance. Just open riffle a season a week earlier and if you like to muzzle load, then knock yourself out.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I hunt with my inline and 3x9 scope mostly to pizz off folks::ke:

Ok not really. I like the extra week.

blocky

I started with them for the extra week of hunting and the extra wma hunts. But I soon found that making accessories and tuning my loads became a new hobby in itself. You get a special feeling of satisfaction when taking a deer with equipment you made yourself.

Killer Kyle

I like how a 300 gr wreckin' ball hits game like a freight train! I've only been shooting BP for two and a half years now, and this fall I am leaning more and more towards carrying my ML as my primary rifle. It's bulky for hunting the mountains up here and might be a pain when going in deep, but I almost feel like it'd be worth it.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

I like to get out there early plus I continue hunting with it the first 3 or 4 weeks of the season. I only need one shot anyway!!

BarnesAddict

I hunt with a muzzleloader, because I tear them up to bad throwing rocks, unless I throw left-handed.