Why my peeps ain't getting a raise this year...

Thread starter #1

jdgator

...Their health insurance is up 4% this year. I would love to send an email to the following effect:

Hey kids,

Y'all are expensive to insure. The rock climbing injuries, ER stays while traveling in third world countries, mountains of anti-depressants, shrink visits, and dehydration from fad diets add up. BCBS raised our rates. That killed your COLA adjustments. Sorry. Try not to be stupid in the future.

Hugs, kisses, and rainbows,

JD

...Their health insurance is up 4% this year. I would love to send an email to the following effect:

Hey kids,

Y'all are expensive to insure. The rock climbing injuries, ER stays while traveling in third world countries, mountains of anti-depressants, shrink visits, and dehydration from fad diets add up. BCBS raised our rates. That killed your COLA adjustments. Sorry. Try not to be stupid in the future.

Hugs, kisses, and rainbows,

JD
Problem with that analogy is to say if your peeps did nothing their insurance wouldn't rise x%. That is never going to happen. Insurance and prescription cost are rising and will continue to do so. People continue to amaze me with the stupid things they do to injure themselves. Remember that the OSHA manual probably started off as a 1 page report that has blossomed into a living monstrosity.

If all I got was a 4% increase, I would be dancin' in the street. Mine have consistently been 15-20% per year.

If all I got was a 4% increase, I would be dancin' in the street. Mine have consistently been 15-20% per year.
Same here. We cut a deal with Humana last year to keep us at 6% in order for them to keep our group from going elsewhere. I'm afraid they may invite us to leave when we renew in December.

ryanh487

My company is transitioning to an HSA hybrid plan to help reduce plan costs. Premiums are lower, they match our contributions up to $75 a month, and they're still saving money over the traditional plan. The HSA option was introduced this year as an option but will be mandatory by 2021. I love it because most of my medical expenses have been vision related or something like an urgent care when I got sick and needed an Rx (very rare), so the HSA lets me use that account to pay. So instead of paying $x a month on premiums AND having to come out of pocket for copays, I can pay $x a month and have part of it go to a savings account that gets used for my copays and Rx cost, or the dentist office or chiropractor. We can even use it for over the counter meds.

I hate dealing with this stuff. Its got me in such a bad mood that I might just break my intermittent fast and eat food for dinner.
Skip the food. Two fingers of good brown whiskey will relax you. Make it three fingers and you'll be right as rain.

I really hate reading about all the machinations people have to go thru to pay for healthcare. Especially when I know that without Medicare (which started the payment scam by directing how much a provider was allowed to receive), Medicaid, and Health insurance companies, your doctor wouldn't need a full time insurance processor and wouldn't have to bill you $200 just to get $20 for your visit. The whole Medicare, private insurance scam is the government's way to control healthcare and give gifts to prime contributors while appearing to be "hand's off."
(and no, it wasn't originally a conspiracy - it was just the government being stupid.)

I guess it bothers me because I don't understand why we all continue to allow it!

twtabb

I use to go see a retired dr in his back yard office. $25 bucks a visit cash. No insurance, secretary or receptionist.
He would give you a shot or call in prescription if needed shake your hand and send you on your way.

Big7

It's still used as a "reason" to not give out a raise.

Everyone I've ever worked for knows the drill. Even the big companies know and find a way to work around it.

I'll go in at their rate first.
(as long as it's reasonable)
Then the drill is:

Review in 90 calendar days.

Then, annual review on my anniversary date. Don't make me ask. You come to me.

Asked(told, they thought)
one time "if I'm going to be in management, I'll need to go on salary".
Response: "You ain't got that kind of money".

Back date insurance so it goes into effect on start date.

Never been called either. I'm very direct and to the point.

The downturn in 2007 made all the manufacture plants and even the best equipped tool shops were scared to hire and invest in capital expenditures and at that point used as a weapon. They always say "we are paying your insurance" and true, it's a perk BUT.. People my age and older ALWAYS had insurance one the employee and you had to kick in a fraction on wife and children.

That was a given until 2007 and full blown weapon in 2008. It's going to be harder now to get employer paid insurance.

GEE, THANKS o-bummer' for wrecking the insurance for us and the economy.

Get on the TRUMP TRAIN.
toot-toot.🏭🏭

Big7

I use to go see a retired dr in his back yard office. $25 bucks a visit cash. No insurance, secretary or receptionist.
He would give you a shot or call in prescription if needed shake your hand and send you on your way.
Prolly couldn't get away with that now. Especially if you need pain meds. On the other hand- assuming his license is still good, might be able to get away with it as long as it don't turn into a "pill mill". They would catch him quick with all the checks they have implemented today.

I'm going to start a new thread as soon as I give it some thought.

It's still used as a "reason" to not give out a raise.
Well, as the employer I consider it a doggone good reason to not give you a raise because I consider the exorbitant health insurance premium I am paying for you to be part of your compensation package. Now if you will agree to forego the benefit of health insurance for the entire time you are employed with me, then we can talk about a raise in your pay.

Prolly couldn't get away with that now. Especially if you need pain meds. On the other hand- assuming his license is still good, might be able to get away with it as long as it don't turn into a "pill mill". They would catch him quick with all the checks they have implemented today.

I'm going to start a new thread as soon as I give it some thought.
If it keeps going the way its been going, I'm going to have to start seeing the Vet.:cool: