Why Now?!?!

Thunder

Why is it that the timber companies cut during deer season? In MID Nov they came into our little 230 acre tract and thinned some pines, but took a BUNCH of hardwoods. :speechles I thought it was the end of the world, but reconsidered thinking that there was enough cover left, and actually may have helped. ::huh:

I got the call last night....they are back with a vengence. :speechles :banginghe

I was told they thinned a majority of the pines (and plan to burn). Next step according to the timber guy we talked to is that they were going to take ALL THE HARWOODS that are left all the way to the hard road!!! :eek: Plan to replant the whole place.

There is even a patch along the front road maybe 40-50 yards deep that boarders the gas line....yep they are going to take that little bit as well. There will be absolutely no cover and no food on our place in about a week!!

I am devastated that my season is over......not sure if anything will chance crossing that desert now, then again, where would they be going???? No food/cover.

Why couldn't they wait another month? ::huh: :banginghe

MCBUCK

For what it's worth...

The same thing happened to me a few years back on a lease in Chattooga Co. Great land !!! Thought it was ruined when thay burned it all during bow season ( Suckers got me out of my stand to burn !! ) But turned out to be one of my best seasons ever !! Saw deer (game ) in the burn while it was still smoking !! We had over 2000 acres burned too !! It was like hunting on the moon. I think the fire will open some seeds and things that are normally dormant . Try it before you shelf the season , maybe it will be the same for you.
Good luck from McBuck !!!

Thunder

MCBUCK,

Hope your right! just gets me that they do it right during the rut (mid Nov)and coming second rut!! :banginghe

Plus, they have no concern for my stands either....just run 'em over. :speechles

GeauxLSU

Was in a club in Meriwhether a few years ago. My first year. OPENING WEEKEND of gun season they showed up to thin! :banginghe :confused:
They could care less. Literally.
Given the opportunity, I'll be negotiating that little item in any future leases.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

MCBUCK

Dr Pain

I've got ya friend I feel your pain. Hope it works out for ya. I lost my lease this year so I feel your pain. :(

Walkerdawg

Not trying to get anything started but, most timberland is
leased to hunters. With this being said do you really think it is possible for loggers to stop cutting timber in Sept. and resume in Jan? They have to eat too.
Look at the bright side you won't see them again for another 10 years at least.

mpowell

sorry to hear about your situation. they can't give you a reason why they decided to cut right now???

don't give up hope. some of the best areas to hunt are fresh cutovers. deer are curious and want to check out what's new.

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
they cut a couple hundred acres on us this year. the logger (who was really nice) told us that since the hurricanes, that the demand for plywood is through the roof. the saw mills where running 24-7. timber companies like to cut when they can get top dollar. we have seen quite a few deer out in the fresh cut, and on the edges.

OconeeJim

Many Tracts are under Contract Harvest,

and some must be cut by a certain date. Our Putnam lease was cut a few years ago (not clearcut), and the loggers were good enough to move a couple of my ladder stands from trees that were removed. BTW, our hunting is better than ever now.

Thunder

On larger tracts, I used to love it when they would come in and thin some or cut. But keep in mind, 230 acres is small. Bordered by homes on the north, hard roads with homes on the east and west, and a pasture/farm on the south. I think the deer have been run out of there due to our sightings prior to the logging. Now the loggers will level according to them to replant. If we had woods or swamp on at least a couple of sides I think we would see something, but based on where we are, it hurts escpecially bad here. :( :whip:

I do understand the supply and demand thing with the hurricanes....but it still stinks!

Timbo

"take It Away And They Will Come" ;)

GA DAWG

We lease from a private landowner.He decided to thin our timber this year also.They started in sept and finished late nov.It stinks.I know it will help in years to come.As for this year it was wasted.I really think we should get half our lease money back.

frankwright

I was in an archery only lease in Crawford County about five years ago. It was Weyerhauser land and our club president was a big wheel with that company. He said they were coming in July to select cut and would be gone before September. They came in September and were still cutting in January.

The paper companies sure don't care about hunters but they sure should give you a rebate if they cut during hunting season.

HTRDNCK

Had the same thing happen to me 2 years in a row on 2 different clubs. One club in Monroe cnty they started on opening morning of gun season. They completely clear cut 1100 acres. They cut every day but Sunday. They finished clearing the land 2 days before the season closed. Totaly raped the place.

The next year in Laurens cnty they started thinning the planted pines on 1,000 acres the opening day of Black Powder season. They finished the second week of December.

2 years and basically 2 whole gun seasons down the drain. The only thing I could get out of both logging outfits were that they had contracts and were obligated to meet deadlines.

We did take a few deer which made it a little less of a bitter pill. Had we been completely unsuccessful...well lets just say some Bad thoughts were flowing through our minds.

I feel your pain...really

TJay

We have been thru the same thing on our lease. The one good thing for you is that they are going to burn, probably because of the size of your lease. They sprayed our clear cuts with a defoliant, talk about desolate. And it stays that way for quite a while, too. :banginghe "They say" that the defoliant doesn't affect wildlife but I don't buy it. The hunters that lease timber company land are on the bottom of the priority list for sure.

Muygrande

Thunder said:
I got the call last night....they are back with a vengence. :speechles :banginghe

I was told they thinned a majority of the pines (and plan to burn). Next step according to the timber guy we talked to is that they were going to take ALL THE HARWOODS that are left all the way to the hard road!!!
Thunder, who called you? Ty said they or someone got one of my stands and I've got a feeder gone and a Tower stand gone?!?!?! I complained about this in November and the forester said they were about done and just getting the Hardwoods??? Guess the Pines are at Saw Timber size and folks need plywood so it's gonna look like Hiroshima!! :eek: 5 owners in 6 years on that place I guess I shoulda known! :banginghe :banginghe

Thunder

Muy,

Ty and I have been talking. He talked with the timber dude and he said they were coming back to whack all the hardwoods. :banginghe

He did get your big feeder, but the tower was gone when we all went in together early in the season.

Hopefully with the rain, it has slowed 'em up some. ::huh:

May be a challenge this weekend trying to find where the deer have moved to if they did cut. We should be real close to the second rut (if it has not already happened). I may still have a shot at seeing a good one.

Stingray23

I lease a couple of tracts from a private landowner and he cut his land this year, one of the tracts. He was nice enough to call me and let me know this and told me he was holding off on leasing it to me until they finished and then we could decide whether we wanted it. Bow season rolled around and they weren't done yet so we didn't get it this year. I just thought it was nice that he let me know he was cutting. He could have easily taken my money and then began cutting.

GeauxLSU

Stingray23 said:
I just thought it was nice that he let me know he was cutting. He could have easily taken my money and then began cutting.
There are few folks left with common decency. It's just a shame that it's the exception rather than the rule. :rolleyes:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil