Why people fail at work

Quepos1

Over my lengthy career i have observed many talented and qualified people fail miserably and either quit or get fired. I have my thoughts as to why this happens but would like to hear other's thoughts and opinions.

sinclair1

There's are a lot of work #1 people out there, so if they put work at #4 behind family and what have you, they usually look like a slacker compared to the workoholic.

With each push they get to act like a workoholic, they get more frustrated and evently give up and quit or get fired.:flag:

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Well - my failures have been due to a lack of work ethic and complacency. Oh - and a lack of tolerance from my employers for liquid lunches. Hope this helps. :yawn:

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Most employers just flat out suck....................they have no idea what motivates people..................they promote the political savvy over the more productive employees.......they push and push more work on the productive people until they just leave.......

T-N-T

Some people just a soon leave a job, than have to work with idiots.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Burn out. Most people aren't robots, and don't enjoy being treated like or expected to be one.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Hard to stay motivated when an employer always shows the negatives.Also most people don't respond to being cursed and browbeaten when they have no control or say in the matter at hand.

My observations pertain to talented and qualified individuals only:

Without a doubt, the number one reason that these individuals fail is due to their direct supervisor and the company culture.

smokey30725

I work in a department where everyone has laptops, and it's pretty much assumed you will be working at home as well. I have people putting in 60 plus hours a week (including myself) just to keep the department going. Burnout is rapidly approaching if something doesn't give. And since we are all salary, those extra 20 hours or so are basically free. I'm just about done with it.......no bonus system or anything. Although we did have pizza last Friday, but I had to buy it and expense it out. :banginghefacepalm:

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
Many folks are their own worst enemy.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Definetely burnout. Been in the mining business for well over 30yrs and it's nothing for me to work 15-20 straight 12hr shifts.

ol bob

Boredom for me after a couple years I was tired of doing the same thing day after day never was fired in 50 years but I sure quit a lot of good jobs and could have gone back to any of them.

Quepos1

I have seen more qualified and talented people over either voluntarily or fired for failing to fit into the culture of the company more than any other reason. Again, I'm speaking of those who are highly qualified. I have let many young and not so young employees go for this reason than any other. Some believe the company should make exceptions to policies, procedures, and practices just for them because of their talent while others seem to "buck the system" because they believe they are smarter and know best how to run a 6 billion dollar corporation even though they have never even managed a dept much less a corp.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Those people are what I usually refer to as over achievers and back stabbers. They eventually wind up shooting themselves in the foot and move on to their next opportunity to repeat it.

660griz

Over my lengthy career i have observed many talented and qualified people fail miserably and either quit or get fired. I have my thoughts as to why this happens but would like to hear other's thoughts and opinions.

I can say over my lengthy career, I have never seen talented and qualified people fail or get fired. I have seen them quit to move to greener pastures.

Big Foot

Lack of sandbox skills

Mgr I knew scheduled huge meeting on Monday after Super Bowl. No one wanted to work for such and head man fired stupid Mgr.

See how this works?

REDMOND1858

My last employer(a hospital)has a very high turnover rate now. They have lost the majority of the supervisors, assistant supervisors, and 15+ year veteran employees over the last 5 years. I would say close to 75% of them. In my opinion, mainly because they have allowed HR to step in and take over the place, and hire department heads and supervisors that HR likes vs. people who know how to do the job. It no longer about how well you can do your job, it's how well you can satisfy HR.