Why UT upsets WV

Patriot44

Banned
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BuckNasty83

Overrated he said! :rofl::rofl::rofl:
A team that had a 50% win ratio and a defense that gave up close to 500 yards a game shouldn't have a #17 preseason ranking. So I overlooked them. I'm not the only person here who has missed a pick. How many of us picked Texas to lose to Maryland? I'll eat my crow for the loss, but don't make it more than it needs to be

Last edited:

brownceluse

A team that had a 50% win ratio and a defense that gave up close to 500 yards a game shouldn't have a #17 preseason ranking. So I overlooked them. I'm not the only person here who has missed a pick. How many of us picked Texas to lose to Maryland? I'll eat my crow for the loss, but don't make it more than it needs to be

You didn’t just miss a pick you wrote a book about how the Vols would win. It was pretty detailed.

BuckNasty83

You didn’t just miss a pick you wrote a book about how the Vols would win. It was pretty detailed.
Those are things you should consider when deciding what team wins and why... Or should I just look at the Vegas odds? Do you not weigh things out against 2 teams before a prediction? It was game 1, I was excited and hopeful and put my thoughts down of what I expected. That's why I'm here

I also stated on paper it was a nightmare matchup with their passing game and us plugging in 3 true freshman to combat their passing attack. And they would make us look stupid at times. But to balance that, we'd pressure Grier.
We didn't pressure them enough, though when we did it was very effective, but they started hitting quick slants to counter that.

It's football man. We lost, I gave them credit for their win. What more do you want? To drag it on and pick at me like elementary kids and remind me in every thread I was wrong?

brownceluse

Those are things you should consider when deciding what team wins and why... Or should I just look at the Vegas odds? Do you not weigh things out against 2 teams before a prediction? It was game 1, I was excited and hopeful and put my thoughts down of what I expected. That's why I'm here

I also stated on paper it was a nightmare matchup with their passing game and us plugging in 3 true freshman to combat their passing attack. And they would make us look stupid at times. But to balance that, we'd pressure Grier.
We didn't pressure them enough, though when we did it was very effective, but they started hitting quick slants to counter that.

It's football man. We lost, I gave them credit for their win. What more do you want? To drag it on and pick at me like elementary kids and remind me in every thread I was wrong?

I made every pick in the Pick’ems without looking at Vegas odds. I just went with my gut. I missed on several. Your missing the point. Most everyone here that picked against the Vols or try to explain why over the last few weeks you took as we just hate the Vols. Which we do but a few folks around here understand what a first year coach and new staff has to do to win. Not so much because we are better than you but we just lived it. If in fact Pruitt is doing his version of the Saban way next year is the year you’ll significantly better play. That’s all I’m saying

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If you want to call it that. I know everyone is overlooking us at this point and everyone has every reason to. And I know everyone thinks using lasts years injuries is an excuse. But if you'd be honest, you'd tell yourself, at that magnitude, it's understandable. WV lost Grier and they fell apart. But we lose most of our team and it's an excuse.

They are 1 dimensional:
WV has NFL caliber WRs and Grier is more than capable of getting it done. But past that, they don't have the talent. On paper, we looked doomed. We've got a true freshman at CB going up against NFL WR/s. But... Grier is horrible under pressure, Pruitt is going to take advantage of that and blitz early and often. Butch was a sorry game day coach, but he left plenty of talent, which most of yall are not aware of because they were injured last season. I'm not sure what to expect from the Nose when we're in 3-4, but the rest of our guys in the box are studs and unlike last year. We have them healthy for now. OLBs will keep pressure Grier and force bad throws and turnovers.

WV is turnover prone:
This alone, as we all know, can change the outcome of the game. The team with less turnovers, usually win. They were ranked 97 in turnovers last year. Throwing 14 ints and Grier was responsible for 12 and 12 fumbles.

Weak defense:
They were ranked 106 at defense last year. Giving up an avg of 440 yards per game. WV defense is a major weakness, our line is going to feast on their o line, their LBs are mediocre at best. This is where we control the game. Grinding out the run game and chewing up the clock to keep their offense off the field. I'm expecting a 60-40 run to pass ratio. And the run game will open up some explosive pass plays along with the play action catching them off guard often.

Mental game:
Dana has been making excuses a lot lately, that tells me he is worried, the battle of mentality is already half won. He's complaining we got more practices, he's complaining that our roster has OR at each position, so he has no clue who's playing where. On the other hand, Pruitt is calm and collected and seems confident.

Overrated:
Simply put, they are an overrated 7 win team. They won by 2 points to a 1 win Baylor for Gods sake. And struggled against any team with decent talent

Element of surprise:
The great unknown...WV has no clue who our starters are, what our players consist of, or what plays well be running. We have no identity on tape for them to prepare for. And they will need to go back to 2016 to even see half this team that's playing today.

Coaching:
He's unproven as a head coach, but you can't deny the guy is one of the best DC. He has surrounded himself with an elite staff. And you can bet he has this team ready and everyone will have a chip on their shoulder. This team is hungry and bitter with something to prove.

Season openers:
We've won 9 straight season openers in the worst decade of UT football. Every year this happens. Wr were supposed to lose to Cal, Montana, NC State and Mike Glennon and David Anerson was going to eat us alive. Same with Keeton and Utah State in 14. And GT last year.

WV will score and make us look stupid at times, but I think we win a close one and set the tone for the Pruitt era.

Go Vols

Well that didn't work out well.

BuckNasty83

Well that didn't work out well.
No it didn't. I thought going into halftime, we had the momentum. We showed we could control the clock in the 2nd quarter, but they got off to a fast start in the 3rd again and never looked back.

westcobbdog

Buck your team played like they were all true freshman and they got boat raced, again.
Seems like you would reel in your predictions until Tn gets outta the toilet bowl.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
This thread ought to be a sticky! facepalm:

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Daily Vols suck!

Attachments

• 91C54346-5844-4241-9FB1-27D3C2EE66A0.jpeg
    91C54346-5844-4241-9FB1-27D3C2EE66A0.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 3

Silver Britches

They are 1 dimensional:
WV has NFL caliber WRs and Grier is more than capable of getting it done. But past that, they don't have the talent. On paper, we looked doomed. We've got a true freshman at CB going up against NFL WR/s. But... Grier is horrible under pressure, Pruitt is going to take advantage of that and blitz early and often. Butch was a sorry game day coach, but he left plenty of talent, which most of yall are not aware of because they were injured last season. I'm not sure what to expect from the Nose when we're in 3-4, but the rest of our guys in the box are studs and unlike last year. We have them healthy for now. OLBs will keep pressure Grier and force bad throws and turnovers.

Pretty much how y'all looked on TV too! ::ke::rofl:

BuckNasty83

Pretty much how y'all looked on TV too! ::ke::rofl:
It Is what it is. I think this staff gets its corrected. Just watched Pruitts show and despite the loss, I feel a lot better after watching him break down the film. The man don't make excuses, he is a perfectionist and even on good plays he sees something to fix. He had our guys in the right position most of the time. They just couldn't execute for whatever reason. Should have had a few more sacks for huge losses, that could have impacted the game, but our guys were just short, couldn't wrap up etc. Anyway, got to forget, correct, and move on. Build confidence over the next cupcakes and whip Florida on the 22nd

Despite the loss, he has these guys going in the right direction

Silver Britches

It Is what it is. I think this staff gets its corrected. Just watched Pruitts show and despite the loss, I feel a lot better after watching him break down the film. The man don't make excuses, he is a perfectionist and even on good plays he sees something to fix. He had our guys in the right position most of the time. They just couldn't execute for whatever reason. Should have had a few more sacks for huge losses, that could have impacted the game, but our guys were just short, couldn't wrap up etc. Anyway, got to forget, correct, and move on. Build confidence over the next cupcakes and whip Florida on the 22nd

Despite the loss, he has these guys going in the right direction
I'm just ragging ya all in fun, bud. Plus, we owe you for ragging us in the NC game thread. We're just giving y'all a little of the love back. :bounce:

Y'all get a cupcake this Saturday. This is an opportunity for y'all to play a lot of players, and work out the kinks. If y'all don't win big this Saturday, y'all are in for another long year.