WHY?

Dialer

Why does my 401k have such a hard time e exceeding a particular amount (I just lost $20k), and my Credit Karma score hasn’t moved in months! Seems I’m spinning my wheels...

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Think long term, it won't happen overnight. I've finally figured out that you can't figure out the market.

GoldDot40

In regards to your credit score, there are several variables that can plateau your score. You'd have to share some of your financial practices/habits in order to get some advice there.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Why does my 401k have such a hard time e exceeding a particular amount (I just lost $20k), and my Credit Karma score hasn’t moved in months! Seems I’m spinning my wheels...

Don't look at it, and one day you will be pleasantly surprised. Let the market do what is does.....fluctuate. Typically, over time you'll have growth in the long term.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Do not watch the market every day or you will go crazy. I dont know how old you are, but I would not be worried about it right now. However you need to be diversified across several funds, Just be sure you are.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Keep in mind that credit karma is just a credit estimator only. It’s a good place to monitor what’s reported, but pay no attention to the score they have.

As far as the market, the only thing I look at is my out of pocket contributions verses the balance. As long as it’s growing, I don’t care how slowly.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Is the balance in your 401K less than your and your employer's contributions? Unless that is the case you have not lost money. You can't lose what you never had. It sorta like the old saying, "don't count your chickens before they hatch."

As said above it is a long term thing. But you can put it in CDs and let inflation drain you dry without you ever knowing it.